Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions

Mycroft

One Too Many
1. What are low, suede (brown) Italian loffers called with a rubber sole( there is a spasific name)?

2. What is JJ's in NYC's Address?

3. Can anyone any good hat and vintage stores in Mahhattan? Also, anyother stores that maybe of my intrest(suits, millitary history, canes, fencing, cricket)?

4. Vintage Style Reserants in NYC?

5. Other vintage activities, like going to a hat maker or what not (in NYC)?

6. Where can I get tradtional carpet slippers in NYC?

Thanks.

Uberneot

New in Town
I can only answer a few, so here we go:

2. I assume you mean J.J. Hat Center? Its on 5th avenue between 30th and 31st street (or close). Beautiful store, helpful and friendly staff. I bought a hat brush from them a week ago and they steamed and brushed my hat for free. You can tell they really love and care about hats there. It's a small store and they are doing work on the buildings above so there is scaffolding around it, which might make it hard to spot, but it does have a big neon yellow Borsalino sign on the front. Interestingly enough it is almost directly across the street from...

3. Cheap Jacks Vintage Clothing: Recently opened. Pretty swanky and nice on the inside, but the "cheap" is quite misleading. They do have some hats but almost all of them look like they need a reblock (or a lot of steam) really badly.

Also there is Arnold Hatters on 8th avenue and 36th street. A nice shop, helpful and moderately friendly staff. A little step down from J.J. but definitely cheaper. This is where I bought my current hat. It also might have scaffolding over it (it did about a month ago) so keep your eyes peeled.

Thats all I know of. I'm sure the other NYC folk will fill in the gaps. Cheers!

Mycroft

One Too Many
Uberneot said:
I can only answer a few, so here we go:

2. I assume you mean J.J. Hat Center? Its on 5th avenue between 30th and 31st street (or close). Beautiful store, helpful and friendly staff. I bought a hat brush from them a week ago and they steamed and brushed my hat for free. You can tell they really love and care about hats there. It's a small store and they are doing work on the buildings above so there is scaffolding around it, which might make it hard to spot, but it does have a big neon yellow Borsalino sign on the front. Interestingly enough it is almost directly across the street from...

3. Cheap Jacks Vintage Clothing: Recently opened. Pretty swanky and nice on the inside, but the "cheap" is quite misleading. They do have some hats but almost all of them look like they need a reblock (or a lot of steam) really badly.

Also there is Arnold Hatters on 8th avenue and 36th street. A nice shop, helpful and moderately friendly staff. A little step down from J.J. but definitely cheaper. This is where I bought my current hat. It also might have scaffolding over it (it did about a month ago) so keep your eyes peeled.

Thats all I know of. I'm sure the other NYC folk will fill in the gaps. Cheers!

Thanks, they are both near my university inteview.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Uberneot said:
So Cheap Jacks reopened?? Is it anything like the old one? Bigger? Smaller? Same inventory?
flat-top

Mycroft

One Too Many
flat-top said:
So Cheap Jacks reopened?? Is it anything like the old one? Bigger? Smaller? Same inventory?
flat-top
I heard it was opened in place of a hat shop. Also, I heard there is good hat shops on 170th Avenue and Broadway, 31st-34th streets, is it true?

Uberneot

New in Town
flat-top said:
flat-top

To be honest, I never went to the old one, so I cant say. They say they are only "half-open" right now. There was a staircase leading downstairs but it was roped off, so that might be where the rest of it is going to be. On the whole the store is pretty nice looking, clean, organized. I'd say at this point its about 3/4 women's things and 1/4 men's in the back. Was the old one like that too? Hopefully they will have more men's when they fully open. Like I said earlier, they had a decent amount of hats but most looked like they were in pretty bad shape. Not so much damaged, but misshapen. A lot of stingy brims.

Mycroft, I assume you mean 170th street, because there is no 170th ave. If there were, it would probably be in Pennsylvania. :p I can't vouch for that. Arnold on 8th and 36th (ish) and JJ are the only two that I know of. Someone said there is a good one in Brooklyn, but you might not have time to venture there. What uni are you looking at, if you don't mind me asking?

Mycroft

One Too Many
Uberneot said:
To be honest, I never went to the old one, so I cant say. They say they are only "half-open" right now. There was a staircase leading downstairs but it was roped off, so that might be where the rest of it is going to be. On the whole the store is pretty nice looking, clean, organized. I'd say at this point its about 3/4 women's things and 1/4 men's in the back. Was the old one like that too? Hopefully they will have more men's when they fully open. Like I said earlier, they had a decent amount of hats but most looked like they were in pretty bad shape. Not so much damaged, but misshapen. A lot of stingy brims.

Mycroft, I assume you mean 170th street, because there is no 170th ave. If there were, it would probably be in Pennsylvania. :p I can't vouch for that. Arnold on 8th and 36th (ish) and JJ are the only two that I know of. Someone said there is a good one in Brooklyn, but you might not have time to venture there. What uni are you looking at, if you don't mind me asking?

Yea, I think it was 170th steet, I do not know NYC well. :p I am just looking for intersesting hat shops and vintage stores in the more Manhatten Area, what do mean by "uni?"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltqt