Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quick way to steam a hat...

MAB1

Suspended
Give it a bath.

Pop it in the microwave for a minute.

You may want to remove any metal objects first but... that's up to you. ;)

I know... call me crazy but... it works.

What can I say? I was in a hurry. :D

I admire your courage and I look forward to learning from your experience.

Ever cooked a sweatband? I have. Too much heat is what does it. Steam can indeed have that effect, in a hurry, I regret to tell you. A once nice, supple sweatband that remained essentially good as new for 50 or 60 years can be ruined in a matter of seconds. I know his through bitter experience.

And even with lots of salt and pepper, sweatbands don't taste very good. But hey, at least a person can end up with a reason to learn how to replace sweatbands.

MAB1

Suspended
Great point Tony. It just so happens that this sweatband was a gonner long before my experiment. What remains of the sweatband (sewed in) was unaffected.

What I can say is this:

If you don't want to shrink it... start stretching it before it dries.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
I'm really glad it worked and there weren't ill effects, but are you quite sure this is faster? Takes a while to get cold water to penetrate good felt, and then you have to get the microwaving time just right. But it only takes about three minutes to boil a quart of water, it softens right up with a quick pass through the steam, and isn't all soggy afterward. Hmmmm. Think I might stick with steam meself.

- Bill

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Well MAB1, I don't doubt your words!
But, there are a number of remarks:
for one, my cowboy hats don't fit into my old microwave which, moreover, has one of those turning plates in it...imagine that soggy hat turning round and round all twisted like a felt corkscrew...
On the other hand, leaving on the pin, the resulting sparks might make it look like a good bottle of bubbly...

The Librarian

New in Town
Did this once...

With a Stetson straw hat. I think it was a rice straw. My kids had gotten to it and it was crushed. I soaked it in the sink to soften it. Then after shaping it I was thinking about how long it would take to try when I spied our microwave on the counter. So I popped it in and turned it on. Not sure how long I "cooked" it but I think I did it in short increments. When it was a little bit damp I tried it on. It was back in original shape and still fit.

Wore it for months till the cats got to it. Looked for months to find a hatter who would make me a hat from cat felt. No luck.lol :D

MAB1

Suspended
I've done it with my Akubra, now. No damage to the sweatband.

NOTE:

I didn't leave it in there to dry. Just to heat it up for stretching.

Brinybay

Practically Family
MAB1 said:
Give it a bath.

Pop it in the microwave for a minute.

You may want to remove any metal objects first but... that's up to you. ;)

I know... call me crazy but... it works.

What can I say? I was in a hurry. :D

Just don't try that with your pet poodle...

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
Microwave sure sounds like a great way to sanitize a hat, i.e. kill all the bugs. How about smells? Will the microwave eliminate tobacco smells? Has anyone tried it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80