Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Raccoon/Fox Tails on Radio Aerial - Why?

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The Old Rubber Chicken

On our airplane at airshows we would cover the pitot tube with a rubber chicken while parked on the ramp! The crowed loved it.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
No, no, no... they serve the same function as the ridiculously oversized F250s. Compensation is key.

Hi Yeps, long time no type.

The compensation depends on where you live and what you do. A few of the 4H shotgun shooters had the "decoration" on their pick-ups. Oversized F250's are farm implements depreciable over a 5 year period in Kansas, Oklahoma, and Illinois when you live on a farm like most of these kids do. If you live in Philly, the F250 is more likely to be compensation. Wherever you are, CLEAN pickups are likely to be compensation, as opposed to utility. Check the South Philly trucks and you can tell who works out of theirs and who just drives them.

later

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
The coon tails don't bug me, it's the crying baby dolls that I just do not get.

Funny story about those. Last fall, when my now-two-year-old daughter was about 19-months, we took her to a local (fairly big) car show. She was being very good and walking, holding my hand, not touching anything.

We came across a '63 Bel Air with one of those against the front bumper, and I watched her look at it, look at the '55 Buick next to it, and make a bee-line for its front bumper! I grabbed her up in time, but her reasoning was all too clear - "This is what little kids my size do at car shows!"

So, next time you're at a car show and your neighbor puts one of those out, warn him that they're like a toddler bait pile and you don't want face smudges on your chrome bumper.

Jaguar66

A-List Customer
The tiger was Esso/Exxon's trademark in the late 60s to early 70s. I seem to remember Esso stations handing out the tiger tails.

But, as I remember, it was Pontiac who got the tiger tail fad started with an ad for the GTO (around 1966) that showed a tiger tail coming out of the gas filler door of a GTO.

When I ordered and received my '65 GTO in August '65, I got one of these Tiger tails from the Pontiac dealer.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Hi Yeps, long time no type.

The compensation depends on where you live and what you do. A few of the 4H shotgun shooters had the "decoration" on their pick-ups. Oversized F250's are farm implements depreciable over a 5 year period in Kansas, Oklahoma, and Illinois when you live on a farm like most of these kids do. If you live in Philly, the F250 is more likely to be compensation. Wherever you are, CLEAN pickups are likely to be compensation, as opposed to utility. Check the South Philly trucks and you can tell who works out of theirs and who just drives them.

later

I understand that pickups are, first and foremost, tools, and honestly, I have never met someone whose pickup does not get used as that. However, I also very rarely encounter someone who really needs a full size truck. In fact, most of the working farmers I know (growing up on the edge of the suburban sprawl and farmland in MD) use much smaller trucks, and beat the bejeebers out of them.

Edward

Bartender
I had a raccoon tail on my bicycle in the 1960s. I just liked the way it looked (and felt).

The place I was most aware of having seen photos of these located is on aeriels on Mods' scooter (England, 1960s).

No, no, no... they serve the same function as the ridiculously oversized F250s. Compensation is key.

Jinkies.... I ain't seen compensation like that since the Guildford Four got out....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner