Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Radio Classics, XM 164

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
For those of you that have have XM radio I though you may enjoy this little nugget.
I've been enjoying Radio Classics in the afternoon with such shows as The Whistler, Dimension X, The Shadow, The Green Hornet, Murder at Midnight and so on. They've been a load of fun to listen to and make the afternoon fly by at work. And that's a good thing for sure. ;)

So, has anyone else here been listening to these classic shows? Which ones do you enjoy the most?

Cheers!

Dan

ex812

Familiar Face
I too listen to it in the afternoon. I love all of the shows but my favorites are of the horror variety like Suspense, The Mysterious Traveler, Lights out, and Quiet Please.

blade runner

New in Town
That is my favorite radio station. I've been listening to it for a couple of years. I mostly listen in the car -- my afternoons at the desk would get pretty unproductive if I listened at the office, and I think it would be noticed. I do a lot of traveling around Upstate New York, though, and a trip to Buffalo or Albany and back (3 hours each way) goes a lot faster when I can listen to those great old shows. I like The Shadow, Escape, Suspense, and Lights Out. I also like the detective shows, like Boston Blackie, Richard Diamond and Jeff Regan. I think my favorite of those, though, is Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar. Another favorite that I have only come across a few times is Bold Venture with Bogart and Bacall. When my wife and daughter are in the car they sometimes tolerate the old time radio shows, but sometimes they hijack the radio and put on music.:( Oh well, must be fair, I guess.:rolleyes:

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Greg Bell is the director of that channel. He does a great job of picking shows and giving us background about the series, star and episode.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
blade runner said:
That is my favorite radio station. I've been listening to it for a couple of years. I mostly listen in the car -- my afternoons at the desk would get pretty unproductive if I listened at the office, and I think it would be noticed. I do a lot of traveling around Upstate New York, though, and a trip to Buffalo or Albany and back (3 hours each way) goes a lot faster when I can listen to those great old shows. I like The Shadow, Escape, Suspense, and Lights Out. I also like the detective shows, like Boston Blackie, Richard Diamond and Jeff Regan. I think my favorite of those, though, is Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar. Another favorite that I have only come across a few times is Bold Venture with Bogart and Bacall. When my wife and daughter are in the car they sometimes tolerate the old time radio shows, but sometimes they hijack the radio and put on music.:( Oh well, must be fair, I guess.:rolleyes:

I've gotten a good ear full of all of those shows as well. Very enjoyable and fortunately it seems to make the day fly & my projects go by faster.

Right now Gunsmoke is on, got to listen to The Six Shooter with Jimmy Stewart this morning & several episodes of The Shadow with Orsen Wells.
I'm looking forward to many more shows to listen to. :)

Cheers!

Dan

blade runner

New in Town
Another show that I have enjoyed is Lux Radio Theater, where they recreate a recent movie for radio, often with the same stars from the film. I've heard Red River, Champagne for Caesar, and The Bachelor and the Bobbysoxer, among others. Some are better than others, obviously, but you can kind of immerse yourself in the classical era.

I'm driving to Schenectady and back tomorrow, so I hope they have some good shows on. The old comedies don't really hold my interest as well on a long drive. I keep meaning to check Greg Bell's posted schedule of shows, but it wouldn't really change my driving schedule anyway. I generally have to be in a certain place at a certain time, so I get what I get.[huh] Still, I hope to get some of those old Shadow episodes with Orson Welles.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
This moring they played "The Hurricane" with Orson Welles & Mary Astor. Nice way to pass an hour with. This week they are celebrating Orson Welles' birthday by playing his various radio programs. There was even an interview between Orson Welles & H.G. Wells.
Then they played "Yours Truely, Johnny Dollar", lots of fun to work by.
I've also been enjoying "Broadway is my Beat".

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
This last week was a tribute to James Stewart as it was his birthday week. They played Plenty of The Six Shooter. The Philadelphia Story, Magic Town & Call Northside 777. They had a parody of Bend in the River on the Jack Benny show that was hilarious. After listening to TPS, I just had to watch that film. great little one liners of dialog to be sure.

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
This week Radio Classics is playing two John Wane radio adaptations. Red River & Fort Apache. Both have The Duke & are fairly well done. Check them out if you can.

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic