Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RAF GREAT COAT QUESTION

Vince

New in Town
I aim this one at the venerable Mr. Johnson but if anyone can help no problem! I am attempting to modify a Swedish Air Force Great coat as per the information mentioned previously. If anyone has specifics on altering the cuffs(I believe they must be turned up), the back I believe must have the split sewn shut, of course a belt must be fabricated(?) and King's Crown buttons added eight I believe(?) so any photos or details would be much appreciated! Vince:eusa_doh:

Vince

New in Town
Reply To John Z

Dear John:

Thanks much mate! I have a nasty habit of doing things the hard way! I will take you up on the offer! You may email me at vincesposato@yahoo.com or vasp@optonline.net. I have already made a blunder! Purchased a supposedly RAF Service Dress uniform(#1) and paid DEARLY for the uniform and almost 40 quid for post! I also picked up a Swedish Great Coat for 35 quid and am paying almost 60 for the post-speak of a nutter eh? In any event I will probably need a bit of fabric similar to the Swedish Air Force great coat which is like the RAF surplus ones offered for sale. In reply to your query what prompted me, I was motivated by a posting by Mr. Johnson regarding Great Coats. Now I will need more fabric(possibly another barathea RAF officer's surplus uniform to fit me;-along with KC brass buttons and some buckles, thanks for your kindness!

Cheers!

Vince:)

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I think we are at cross-purposes here. My suggestion was that you do what many re-enactors do and modify a most war ('New Pattern') RAF greatcoat to be like the wartime RAF issue greatcoat. I have absolutely no knowledge ow what a Swedish greatcoat is like and so would be unable to recommend whether it would or not be suitable.

The links above are for New Pattern greatcoats and some of them are officer issue. They would be suitable for modifying (i.e. cuffs and belt, buttons etc.), although the price of some of them makes my eyes water! I guess that's eBay for you...

New Pattern RAF greatcoats are very common on the UK surplus market, online and otherwise. I don't see the need to improvise to any great extent. Anyway, if you are the sort of person who just likes to do things the hard way, good luck! Perhaps you'd let us know how you make out with the Swedish coat, you may be on to a new 'mod'.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It might be simpler to buy a wartime original on Ebay. You can pick up a decent dated officer's great coat for around £80.

Vince

New in Town
Right You Are!

Well first thank you Mr. Johnson! and indeed the coat I have selected is by Surplus and Outdoors listed as a Swedish Air Force Great coat of RAF color. I decided in favor of this as it was available in my size, and was almost a dead ringer for an original RAF great coat recently sold by Hogspear. Only problem is securing the necessary KC buttons, but Mr. Johnson-you've already covered that ground so over to one of the companies that trades in them! Wasn't easy finding a Colonel "Blimp" size(52-54), but I persevered! Next is to find an additional uniform to expand my #1 Service Dress Uniform also purchased from Hogspear (a size 40-going to a 52 regular!). In any event I could not have done it without your patient assistance! Thanks much to all!

Cheers!

Happy New Year!

Vince:eusa_clap

Edward

Bartender
A picture of the Swedish coat might help the flow of discussion:

SWEEDISH-GREAT-COAT.jpg

These are available from www.surplusandoutdoors.com at £35. Clearly they would need some modification to match the ww2 pattern RAF greatcoat, but to my eye at least they are considerably closer than the 70s-style RAF greatcoat that is widely available.

I have my eye on one of the ww2 pattern coats myself for use as a winter coat, but there seems to be a distinct lack of larger-sized (I take a 42" chest, so I should assume that as with most things I will need a 44 to fit over a suit?) examples for sale. (Somewhere in my parents' loft is an original that belonged to a Captain Todd (I think), RAF, who flew with the Dambusters, though I seem to recall it was never quite tidy enough to wear, and likely much too small for me now... alas...). I may well pick up a Swedish coat for now, which might so my job admirably anyhow as I intend it for civilan use, not reenactment. Actually, it surprises me that there aren't more reproductions made of these, given that there is a market for thed battle dress, and even the Army greatcoats.... maybe it's simply the case that more RAF originals have survived?

Vince

New in Town
For Edward

Dear Edward:

Many thanks for your post! Indeed I felt that this was the way to go-especially with my size being close to 52! If you have some idea about the size of the RAF King's crown brass buttons I might need I'd appreciate it! I have ordered one of these from Outdoor and Surplus but not yet received it. I hope they haven't forgotten me!
Cheers!

Vince;)

Vince

New in Town
For John Z

Dear John:

Afraid the computer ate up your email addy! I received the service dress RAF #1 (barathea) officer's uniform-it is clearly the "Cold War" vintage, but the style and material is definitely acceptable for World War II re-enacting. Only problem is the tunic will require some enlargement-could you keep an eye out for a #1 officer's RAF service dress tunic for me? I've seen a few at Hogspear but don't want to go crazy on price! This one has "Queen's Crown " brass buttons so it looks like Ian will be getting a ring from me!

Cheers!

Vince;)

Edward

Bartender
Vince said:
Dear Edward:

Many thanks for your post! Indeed I felt that this was the way to go-especially with my size being close to 52! If you have some idea about the size of the RAF King's crown brass buttons I might need I'd appreciate it! I have ordered one of these from Outdoor and Surplus but not yet received it. I hope they haven't forgotten me!
Cheers!

Vince;)

Never ceases to amaze me how tiny a lot of military boys were back then (and even nowadays, are!) - but then, thinknig how young they were flying in BoB or on the bombing raids over Germany, I suppose at that age I was pretty tiny myself too.

I'm not sure about the buttons size-wise, myself: not really my area. That said, you should be able to find this out from the RAF reenactor forums or - at a push - some of the Torchwood sites on the web as I understand a lot of those kids convert the Swedish jackets if they can't find an RAF model. Of course, the one worn in the TV show is custom made. It was an original in the character's first couple of appearances in Doctor Who, but the ator apparently has an allergy to wool, and so when Torchwood was originally greenlighted, they had a custom coat run up to get around that problem.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Vince said:
Dear Edward:

Cheers!

Vince;)

I have some KC RAF brassbuttons and they are 2,4 cm in diameter.
Just curious - if you are close to 52, which size have you ordered? It seems like they only have up to 42 chest. Or do they have some bigger ones in the back of the shop - or under the counter.

Vince

New in Town
Reply To Spitfire

Dear Spitfire:

Yes mate they certainly DO have 52! That is what I was told so give them a shout! Indeed I'd be interested in the KC RAF buttons-as long as I can use them on the coat or #1 officer's Service Dress tunic. Email me and let's discuss this! vasp@optonline.net

Cheers!

Vince:eusa_clap

Taikonaut

New in Town
Jack Harkness version in Torchwood does cut differently than any RAF, it looks longer and smaller at the waist. Capt Harkness was suppose to be a WW2 pilot so it may have been aiming at a wartime RAF great coat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltqt