Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a dark green wool coat...

BrewCrew

New in Town
...3/4 or hip length, a "car coat" so to speak. It MUST be a dark green. I'm looking at the Filson double mackinaw, though $335 is spendy for me, and also this one:
http://www.woolrich.com/woolrich/browse/productDetail.jsp?icParent=subCategory&icCategory=cat10019&icProduct=22703&icSort=#
I'm open to all suggestions, I want it to be a 0 to 20 degree coat, with thick soft wool, and more rugged than cosmopolitan. I'm well aware of the Filson's quality, but does anyone own the Woolrich and can recommend it? Any and all suggestions would be appreciated!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
How about something like this? You might want to web search using loden cloth and loden wool as it appears to be a fabric which meets your needs. While the retail price of jackets/coats made from this fabric is generally above your price-point it is not unusual to see them at significant seasonal discount.

Inusuit

A-List Customer
I have the Filson double mac in dark green, and as you know, the quality is beyond comparison. I also have a '50s era Woolrich short jacket and a couple of older heavy weight Woolrich plaid shirts. I have not seen the coat you referenced. However, current Woolrich products I have handled are inferior in quality to the older stuff. A new heavy weight wool shirt was stiff and scratchy, while my vintage ones are very soft and smooth. Have you seen the Woolrich and Filson in person? I would be interested in your impressions of both. The Filson for sure will last a lifetime.

BrewCrew

New in Town
That Orvis coat is perfect but waay out of my price range. My hope was that someone knew of a "dark horse" deal of some kind. I don't own any current Woolrich coats, which was why I wanted to get someone's feedback on it.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I'd second Tomasso on looking for a loden coat. I have a used one made for the German hunting store Kettner (their Elch line) that I found on ebay for a good price (a little over $100 a few years back).

Looks something like this, mine looks less "sporty" and more dressy than this one, but it gives you an idea.

ra_lodenwleathertrim_l.jpg

BrewCrew

New in Town
LOL yup sorry I missed the sale price. They don't have it in my size though. Chasseur I really like that German coat, that's exactly what I'm looking for.

Rabbithunter

New in Town
If you're looking for a loden coat you should visit the homepage of lodenfrey: www.lodenfrey.de . They are one of the leading producers of loden coats in Germany. You can find the coats sometimes on ebay Germany too.

Ulrich

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Try British, French and German ebay. I've picked up several of this style of coat over the years in a wide variety of materials: loden, tweed, waxed cotton, and modern microfiber. I really like this style of coat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy