Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Raf style flying jacket.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The size and placement of the arm hole on originals varied according to the contractor. This trainee-produced jacket is quite a nice rendition of an early war jacket and I guess the sheepskin will not be white on the production jackets. It's a shame Aero are still using their inaccurate zips.

What is the physical difference between say the accurateEastman zips and Aero's.

jon11

A-List Customer
Do you ruin the concept of these jackets by getting them made up a little longer from 63cm to 68cm must be my age, :) BTW I like Paddy's reproduction jacket on that massive Irvin thread, what make is it?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The measurements given on the chart are not the actual measurements of the jackets as they assume they are worn over RAF uniform.

I get it. Interesting. Where do you stand on the Aero arm shape? It strikes me, perhaps, that Aero's arms were designed without the expectation that you'd wear a tunic jacket under it.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Paddy used to own a 1942 pattern ELC Irvin if I remember correctly. Wareings for example made Irvins that were longer in the body than most other makers with longer arms as well, so a longer jacket would not be way off today

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I get it. Interesting. Where do you stand on the Aero arm shape? It strikes me, perhaps, that Aero's arms were designed without the expectation that you'd wear a tunic jacket under it.

The Aero sleeve shape is traditionally a tube rather than the correctly shaped tapered sleeves found on originals. I hope they sort it out for their late War jackets next year.

jon11

A-List Customer
You are very kind Andrew taking the time to impart your vast knowledge to a novice like me. This is very much appreciated. Had a look at ELC 1942 sample the wool looks a ginger color rather than Patrick's honey color maybe they have changed that bit?

Last edited:

jon11

A-List Customer
Forgot to mention I received a couple of samples from Eastman's re Battle of Britain1940, RAF1942 and the later 1944 Devon Fleece. I must say super quality and fantastic customer service, all properly labelled and in separate plastic bags. These little but nice touches portrays what a Company is all about. Showed the samples to my wife guess what she likes the top of the range Devon fleece, ha. Must start counting my pennies.

Peacoat

Bartender
Yes, the Devon fleece is unique, and I imagine it is quite warm. The one that I would get, however, would be the full panel 1940 pattern--Battle of Britain model. I showed to my wife, and she said she would get it for me for Christmas if that is what I wanted. And this after telling me no more coats/jackets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou