Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Raiders 'Hero' jacket, Wested Leather Co. bulge/crese?

Markus Rasmussen

New in Town
If it's lamb - which is rarely seen here - Lexol is probably best. But you only need to put this stuff on once every few years. Use a small amount of anything so the jacket doesn't get sticky. I use Pecards or Lexol, but so many products are fine - one of the most knowledgable leather craftsman here uses ordinary Vaseline. I avoid neatsfoot oil or lanolin as they tend to go off and can, in my experience, rot stitching.
Thanks, Seb. Is there anything that would make it a bit darker? I wouldn't mind that.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
^^

Oh no, with these things it is pretty much online only... just be prepared that Obenauf's may darken the jacket significantly. Google "obenauf's, "before and after", click on images and you will see some examples.

Obenaufs darkens the leather forever...and gives a shine too.
I like Chaimberlains Leather Milk, Pecard’s, or Dr. Jacksons Hide Rejuvenator.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Obenaufs darkens the leather forever...and gives a shine too

Really... forever? How old are you?

Sorry Mike - good to know. No conditioner I have used has ever changed he color for longer than six to 12 months. Does O have a dye or polish built into it?

Not sure, but I bought a pair of Redwings that had been treated, and they still looked darker and polished 4 years later.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
I think Obenaufs shine depends on the leather. My HD Sportster was matte black before Obenaufs treatment and matte blacker after. ;). But the leather sucked it all in. I agree with the "forever" comment. I saw warnings that the darkening effect can be permanent.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I have the same thing going on in my Langlitz, in my case the lining is obviously too short for the jacket, pulling the leather up and creating a weird bulge:

3AWoH1F.jpg

P7k2s0i.jpg

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
on Carlos's jacket I think had the piping goes all the way to the hem it won't create that crease, I think the bottom of the jacket just stuck over the belt area whenever he wear it zipped and the upper part with reinforced vertical piping press it down into a permanent crease

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Sorry, my fault. I should have written bicycle. I sit in a upwards position, so I am not sure that this is the reason.

Seb Lucas, here are a few pictures I managed to take before going to work. Outside, so much better lighting. I hope you can see what I mean.
if you unbuckle it and put it flat on the table, can you make the leather flat again, if you can then the problem might be the lining pulled, but if you can not then the leather has expanded and sagged. if the lining is pulled then perhaps you can break open the lining, but if the leather is sagged I think it is better to push up the leather straight on the bottom up to the waist cinch buckle area, make the sagging horizontally inline with the side buckles, then have a horizontal stitch through the lining across that line.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
on Carlos's jacket I think had the piping goes all the way to the hem it won't create that crease, I think the bottom of the jacket just stuck over the belt area whenever he wear it zipped and the upper part with reinforced vertical piping press it down into a permanent crease

On my jacket it is clearly a problem with the lining, nothing to do with the piping.
If you lay the jacket flat it is super obvious that the lining is a good 1" too short for the back length.
I asked Langlitz and they said it was never something they did on purpouse, so i assume it was a screw up.

@Markus Rasmussen i would never cut the extra leather off, the correct way to fix this is to have the jacket relined correctly.
I might do it at some point in the future. Maybe the day i order a custom langlitz Death's head Cascade!
Your jacket looks like it is suffering from the same problem.

Get a seam ripper and gently undo the stitches at the bottom of the liner (along the back) then re-tack the edges...a pretty simple attempt to see if it works.

Markus Rasmussen

New in Town
Get a seam ripper and gently undo the stitches at the bottom of the liner (along the back) then re-tack the edges...a pretty simple attempt to see if it works.
I just ripped the seem open and placed it on my table afterwards with some books on the crese. Gonna see tomorrow how it looks after sewing it back on again. Thanks for the tip!

I would leave it open if it works.
Some makers did this back in the day, and on longer coats to avoid issues along the bottom hem.
Just finish off the liner with a zigzag stitch or trim with pinking sheers to avoid fraying.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I would leave it open if it works.
Some makers did this back in the day, and on longer coats to avoid issues along the bottom hem.
Just finish off the liner with a zigzag stitch or trim with pinking sheers to avoid fraying.

Nice advice, HM. I like it. I onder if this will resolve the issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana