Rain Hat

Discussion in 'Hats' started by SGT Rocket, Jul 25, 2008.

1. GLewis

GLewis New in Town

Sorry! I have no experience with that!

2. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

I had (have?) one I bought 30ish years ago. Waxed cotton/oil finished hats can be quite functional, but they don’t pair well with nicer clothes. If you’re cutting firewood, fishing/hunting, hiking, working in the yard, etc., the Filson is a good choice, but that’s not where I see someone using the jacket in question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

M Hatman and JDelage like this.
  3. M Brown

M Brown One of the Regulars

My 'rain' hat is an old Miller navy blue that I got back in 1980. It's seen more downpours than I can count. Whenever it's raining and I have to be outside, this is on my head. I can't remember what color the ribbon band used to be...am thinking it was black. I had a new sweatband put in it last year and the guy at Peter Bros in Fort Worth offered to replace the band and give the hat a good clean up. But I declined and asked him to keep the mojo intact.
    [​IMG]

4. 1961MJS

1961MJS My Mail is Forwarded Here

Well, Rabbit and Beaver felt is made from Naturally water repellent stuff so unless you're out for hours the hat will be fine.

I had a Filson type hat years ago. Don't add more of the wax stuff, your hat will droop. Don't ask how I know...

Later

5. Blackthorn

Blackthorn I'll Lock Up

I love this hat! I have a similar beater that I wouldn't trade for anything, just because of the memories.

6. GLewis

GLewis New in Town

What do you use as a rain hat in Oroville? Right now I bet you use a Panama!

7. Blackthorn

Blackthorn I'll Lock Up

If it were to rain now, I'd use the same rain hat, my old Banjo Paterson. :). But yes, it's hot and dry here now.

GLewis likes this.
  8. GLewis

GLewis New in Town

I used to live there a long time ago, and it could get really hot in the summer!

9. Blackthorn

Blackthorn I'll Lock Up

It's still like that! :)

GLewis likes this.
  10. JDelage

JDelage Familiar Face

I ended up getting a Banjo Patterson. I found the slightly lower crown much less intimidating...

Blackthorn, dkstott and GLewis like this.
  11. GLewis

GLewis New in Town

That’s a nice looking hat. How do you like it? Have you had a chance to use it in the rain?

dkstott and JDelage like this.
  12. JDelage

JDelage Familiar Face

Not yet.

dkstott likes this.
  13. Blackthorn

Blackthorn I'll Lock Up

You won't be sorry.

GLewis, dkstott and JDelage like this.
  14. tropicalbob

tropicalbob My Mail is Forwarded Here

Down here at this humid, miserable time of year I wear a Sunbody for the afternoon deluge. In cooler times it's one of the Campdrafts.

GLewis and dkstott like this.
  15. tropicalbob

tropicalbob My Mail is Forwarded Here

Sorry, but I'm coming in on the middle of this conversation: to what other hats were you contrasting the Banjo's crown? A comparable hat might be the CD, but that one's an open crown and you can adjust it to whatever height you like, which is something that I like to have the option to do.

16. JDelage

JDelage Familiar Face

I didn't feel comfortable doing my own bash and the other Akubra I tried had higher crowns. They were the Traveller & Adventurer.

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  17. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

The Banjo Patterson is a fine hat. I bet you’ll get many years of dependable service from it. Many of us who spend a lot of time with hats eventually come to prefer taller crows; it was certainly that way for me. Creasing/bashing an open crown hat is intimidating before you try it, but after your first you’ll realize just how easy and fun it is.
    Enjoy your Banjo, it really is a nice hat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

18. Lean'n'mean

Lean'n'mean My Mail is Forwarded Here

Not really. Rabbit fur isn't water repellent & beaver fur isn't naturally water repellent but gains it's repellency from an oil a beaver regularly combs through it's fur from a gland at the base of the tail (combined with the high density of individual hairs per square inch of the underfur ensures that the cold water doesn't touch the skin) From the tanning of the beaver hides to the multiple processes of felt making, any natural oils in fur are washed out long before a hat is formed. Oily/greasy fur wouldn't felt very well anyway.