Rain Hat

Discussion in 'Hats' started by SGT Rocket, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Scotch Guard

I wonder if you could spray the hat with 3M Scotch Guard if it would :
    one- be okay for the hat
    two- work as a water resistant / repellant

2. handlebar bart

handlebar bart Call Me a Cab

[​IMG]
    Filson, tin cloth packer. This is the style I have and it takes a real beating. Thay have other styles along the same lines.

3. Stoney

Stoney Practically Family

I tend to agree with you about the looks of these hats. They are not for everyone. However, I do think they are a case of function rather than fashion and I would prefer to wear one camping or hiking over one of my good fur felt hats.

4. SGT Rocket

SGT Rocket Practically Family

Man, that is one cool hat. I think I like it much more than the Cape Flattery.

5. handlebar bart

handlebar bart Call Me a Cab

Check it out on filson.com, Sly. The hat is great as is all of Filsons stuff. The tin cloth absolutely takes a beating. I have their tin cloth rain gear for erecting structural steel and the stuff is indestructable. The hat is the same way. It gets better looking with age and gets alittle 'character'.

6. Not-Bogart13

Not-Bogart13 Call Me a Cab

I believe you can safely use scotchguard, but I would try spraying the underside of the brim first and let it dry to see if there's a problem. There is also a similar spray available specifically for felt hats. It might be the same stuff. [huh]

7. kelvinator

kelvinator New in Town

filson hats

I really like the Filson Bush Hat. If you really plan to spend a lot of time outdoors in inclement weather, IMHO, it's superior to the Packer. When the rain comes down sideways, or the sun comes out, you'll really appreciate the wide brim.

8. SGT Rocket

Tin Cloth Bush Hat

Hi All,

Well, I ended up getting the Tin Cloth Bush Hat from Filson. I really liked the packer, but the brim was 2-1/4 in. My most stingy hat is a Stetson with a 2.5 to 2-3/4 in brim. My wife pointed out that the 3in brim would keep more rain off my head.

I got it sent general ground shipping, so it should get here in eight to ten days. Here is a link to the hat though:

http://www.filson.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2092427&cp=2069836.2064999.2118241

9. SGT Rocket

The only think I'm not sure I'll like is the chin strap. But, sometimes when it rains here in Minnesota, we get winds from 40 to 60 mph.

10. gtcaz

gtcaz New in Town

I have a Tilley my wife got me for daily wear and I can't get into it. It just gives me the On Golden Pond or Grumpy Old Men vibe, which is too bad because it's a functional hat. When it gets wet, the brim stiffens and it works quite well. I think I'm going to reserve it for yard work, rain, and maybe hiking. Maybe I'll like it more if I can get the brim to curve down more like the pictures in the Tilley catalog. Right now it sticks out pretty straight.

I have the T4, which has a very wide brim. My father in law has a Tilley he wears every day, and it looks great on him. However, he is over 80...

I've got a PanamaBob hat winding it's way through the mail, but some style of Akubra looks is on my horizon for cooler weather (still far-far away here in Arizona).

Bringing this back on point, a Tilley would work well, but just check that the look works for you. I will say the hemp models look fairly nice, and Hunter S. Thompson had his Tilley T3.

[​IMG]

11. gtcaz

gtcaz New in Town

Well, well. I reshaped the brim and now I like the hat a lot more. Guess the act of posting jogged my brain as to what the issue was.

Oh, I should also say that the Tilley's straps seem to work pretty well -- use the back one highway patrol style in light wind, and both for full-on gales.

Still looking forward to my Panama, though!

12. jdbenson

jdbenson One of the Regulars

Good Choice

I think you'll love the Filson. I've had one for 12 years now and it's still goin' strong. It's my bad-weather go-to hat.

13. SGT Rocket

cloth sweatband

I noticed when I bought the bush hat that it said it has a "cloth sweatband." I thought that was weird. I've only owned baseball hat that had a cloth sweatband. Is there an advantage to this over a leather sweatband for a Tin Cloth Bush Hat? [huh]

14. johnnycanuck

johnnycanuck Call Me a Cab

15. SGT Rocket

Don't tell my wife, but I think I'm going to get the CEO too! Yikes!!!

16. JDelage

JDelage Familiar Face

GLewis likes this.
  17. GLewis

GLewis New in Town

I think an Akubra Campdraft would be nice.

belfastboy and JDelage like this.
  18. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

Real rain? I’d wear an Outdoor Research rain hat and a waterproof breathable shell. No felt. No leather. Light rain and a felt hat? Akubra is hard to beat; I like the Campdraft and the Federation IV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JDelage, scottyrocks and GLewis like this.
  19. GLewis

GLewis New in Town

Last spring, I went to a couple of outdoor sporting events, and my Akubra Lightning Ridge kept me dry. I’m in Salt Lake City, so the rain was mixed with a lot of snow. I’ve recently acquired a Camp Draft, so I’d like to use that in the rain.

belfastboy, JDelage and Bamaboots like this.
  20. JDelage

JDelage Familiar Face

What about the Filson tin cloth hats?

deadlyhandsome likes this.