Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rainbow Country Single Rider

Mrfrown

One Too Many
Wanted to share some pics of the RC single rider I got from @JCSD

It was made for Japanese store Avenue that apparently went out of business. According to the item tag it’s the same model as the RC Hercules but modified without throat latch or the stitching on back that connects the peaks of the yoke to the halfbelt. Perhaps other differences, but those seem to be the major ones.

Definitely the finest jacket I’ve handled. I’ve had three second hand Thedi jackets that I would say were all contenders but they didn’t fit me properly.

For sizing I typically wear a 40, this is a 40. I’m 5’9” and 175 lbs with just under a 41” chest.

IMG_2031.jpeg
IMG_2028.jpeg
IMG_2029.jpeg
IMG_1843.jpeg
IMG_1845.jpeg

I think this is the best fit you've had to date, along with the shorter Schott perfecto. Great collar! I find most Japanese stuff to be tubular looking through the body but this jacket looks to have a nice built in taper at the natural waist and flare at the hem.

Jasonissm

Practically Family

It was made for Japanese store Avenue that apparently went out of business. According to the item tag it’s the same model as the RC Hercules but modified without throat latch or the stitching on back that connects the peaks of the yoke to the halfbelt. Perhaps other differences, but those seem to be the major ones.

Definitely the finest jacket I’ve handled. I’ve had three second hand Thedi jackets that I would say were all contenders but they didn’t fit me properly.

For sizing I typically wear a 40, this is a 40. I’m 5’9” and 175 lbs with just under a 41” chest.

View attachment 548190 View attachment 548191 View attachment 548192 View attachment 548193 View attachment 548194
Avenue is certainly not out of business. Their owner posts frequently on Instagram and they just released this same custom model early this year in brown and black.

I really like this jacket, another major design change from the Hercules is there is no hem panel that breaks up the Hercules visually while this one looks longer and more uninterrupted, very clean design!

Mrfrown

One Too Many
Avenue is certainly not out of business. Their owner posts frequently on Instagram and they just released this same custom model early this year in brown and black.

I really like this jacket, another major design change from the Hercules is there is no hem panel that breaks up the Hercules visually while this one looks longer and more uninterrupted, very clean design!
Ah ok wasn’t sure about the store thanks for the info.

I think they did a great job of keeping enough detail for it to be interesting without being over-busy or committed to a particular style (like Western).

Thanks @ton312 the fit is spectacular. As you say, NOT made for Gumby tubular. The arms move well, weight balanced across shoulders, good shape to the body and looks good both zipped and unzipped

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 548190 View attachment 548191 View attachment 548192 View attachment 548193 View attachment 548194
Looks great! Congrats.

The Rainbow Countries and the Freewheelers used to have the full flannel lining body and sleeve but I see more retailers ordering them with just rayon linings this year. Makes sense for the warmer climate markets. I like the full flannel lining though, it's like getting two jacket in one, and helps setting those awesome sleeve rolls and creases.

I'd only wish more western dealers carry the Rainbow Country brand and the Toys Mccoy brand. They make really nice stuff that is not well known outside of Japan. Really nice horsehides, feels thicker, and have a good shine.

They also give you the one inside pocket where as the other premium brands has gone austerity and deleted the inside pocket.

Mrfrown

One Too Many
Looks great! Congrats.

The Rainbow Countries and the Freewheelers used to have the full flannel lining body and sleeve but I see more retailers ordering them with just rayon linings this year. Makes sense for the warmer climate markets. I like the full flannel lining though, it's like getting two jacket in one, and helps setting those awesome sleeve rolls and creases.

I'd only wish more western dealers carry the Rainbow Country brand and the Toys Mccoy brand. They make really nice stuff that is not well known outside of Japan. Really nice horsehides, feels thicker, and have a good shine.

They also give you the one inside pocket where as the other premium brands has gone austerity and deleted the inside pocket.
An interesting point about the lining. Mine has what appears to be Melton wool lining in the body and colorful cotton plaid flannel in the sleeves.

IMG_1832.jpeg

Damn Frown, that looks spectacular!

Brandrea33

One Too Many
The numbers posted on Barnstornmer may not be correct ( they’re big shop so many new jackets probably simple admin mistake). I have this jacket in this size and P2P is 55cm, 56cm stretched. Also Barnstormer start charging size tax at 42, usually it starts at 44
View attachment 527830

I have bought from both Barnstormer and Mushman. On this particular one I’d think Mushman is probably the better choice for pre order. Barnstormer is only really good when the jacket is actually in stock.

This RC pattern is slim long with curve in middle but no big taper. Also not direct repro, but is still damn nice. There’s a Goodwear one with all the repro bits including labels and inside rain collar.

Thank you for the detail on fit, much appreciated.

The RC sounds very similar to Goodwear’s Imperial which has the same slight curve in the middle and flair at the waist.

Yes, the Goodwear Hercules is an accurate reproduction of the original pattern. It’s a bit more tapered to the waist, with a straight body. The inside collar, is a nice touch.

A32BE2F9-E22B-40D3-BDD8-3EDB68267A35.jpeg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
An interesting point about the lining. Mine has what appears to be Melton wool lining in the body and colorful cotton plaid flannel in the sleeves.

View attachment 548321
Yup, that's like how mine is lined too. So are the Freewheelers. I like it because it feels nice and luxury with a short sleeve. And it's not that grabby with a longer sleeve either, no worse than any other thicker woven cotton based fabric. It takes a little extra tug action at the cuffs but I do that anyways, and tuck in my pits. Haha. Like others said, great pick up. You've got a gem there.

Thank you for the detail on fit, much appreciated.

The RC sounds very similar to Goodwear’s Imperial which has the same slight curve in the middle and flair at the waist.

Yes, the Goodwear Hercules is an accurate reproduction of the original pattern. It’s a bit more tapered to the waist, with a straight body. The inside collar, is a nice touch.

View attachment 548419
That GW is an awesome repro. Got all the good details. If I go the custom route that would probably be my first choice. I would want one with a different Roughwear design back panels like this one though, I think it will give an even more Y + ) ( + V shape than the double pointed fancy back one. Just started to really look at all the Roughwear jackets, they sure were the top makers in their days. Wonder what happened to them after the war. Rumor has it that Dextro wore a Roughwear jacket in the Wild One.
hercules cossack 02.jpg

Brandrea33

One Too Many
Yup, that's like how mine is lined too. So are the Freewheelers. I like it because it feels nice and luxury with a short sleeve. And it's not that grabby with a longer sleeve either, no worse than any other thicker woven cotton based fabric. It takes a little extra tug action at the cuffs but I do that anyways, and tuck in my pits. Haha. Like others said, great pick up. You've got a gem there.

That GW is an awesome repro. Got all the good details. If I go the custom route that would probably be my first choice. I would want one with a different Roughwear design back panels like this one though, I think it will give an even more Y + ) ( + V shape than the double pointed fancy back one. Just started to really look at all the Roughwear jackets, they sure were the top makers in their days. Wonder what happened to them after the war. Rumor has it that Dextro wore a Roughwear jacket in the Wild One.
View attachment 548448
What a great picture, I really like this back panel. RMC must’ve taken their inspiration for the Freeman jacket from this.

04C9CE00-4C16-4D98-AFA2-679E123C30F5.png

Last edited:

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Thanks @JMax its bananas good.

And yeah @handymike it has me looking at my current set of 4 black jackets and thinking about things…maybe I just keep this one and the Schott 618 and call it a day? Not sure
err, there is no center zip jacket to be worn open that can replace a crosszip in term of coolness, center zip can look cool worn half zipped but worn open it would look a bit boring unless you combo it with a vest or something.

Brandrea33

One Too Many

View attachment 548448
What a great picture, I really like this back panel. RMC must’ve taken their inspiration for the Freeman jacket from this.

View attachment 548542 View attachment 548542 View attachment 548542

Jasonissm

Practically Family
err, there is no center zip jacket to be worn open that can replace a crosszip in term of coolness, center zip can look cool worn half zipped but worn open it would look a bit boring unless you combo it with a vest or something.
I think zipped cross zip is the coolest by far

I prefer zipped cross zip and open center zip personally. I don't like vests, but a tie looks nice especially wide ones with center zip jackets.

I think zipped cross zip is the coolest by far

I prefer zipped cross zip and open center zip personally. I don't like vests, but a tie looks nice especially wide ones with center zip jackets.

I like to have all my jackets zipped and wear my gear that way 90% of the time. Ties look nice for sure, but no vests huh? You are so wrong it hurts lol. Gotta be a nice wool or something lightweight though.

Jasonissm

Practically Family
I like to have all my jackets zipped and wear my gear that way 90% of the time. Ties look nice for sure, but no vests huh? You are so wrong it hurts lol. Gotta be a nice wool or something lightweight though.
Maybe I should try a vest... Never seen anything I like yet.

Maybe I should try a vest... Never seen anything I like yet.

I have too many. Most don’t look or wear right under a jacket. Just too thick or they just look funky. But a nice, fitted, lightweight vest under a jacket works for me. I tend to go with a lightweight wool or something cut thinner but still warm, like moleskin. Most IH gear I own is too much for layering. Those are stand-alone wear.

Finding a vest can be difficult. So I feel your pain. I sometimes buy vests thinking they look great in pics, put it on and think WTF, I look like a train conductor or whatever else. Definitely a look I’m not digging. I normally donate these vests. For layering, simple is the key imo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner