Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rainbow Country Single Rider

hondurasdave47

Practically Family
Glad this thread popped back up.

Does anybody know the best way to purchase a Rainbow Country outside of Japan? I visited Mushmans’ website, but was having issues with Google Translate.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Glad this thread popped back up.

Does anybody know the best way to purchase a Rainbow Country outside of Japan? I visited Mushmans’ website, but was having issues with Google Translate.

They are available in that russet, brown, and black. I've seen them available used for $600-$800.

*but a quick check showed nothing near that cheap!

Last edited:

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Japanese sales tax is 8% and is sometimes included in the list price. Some of the shops offer tax-free shopping to overseas buyers. You need to ask them. Good luck.

dwilson

A-List Customer
Anyone who has owned or handled this jacket that can comment on how warm the lining is? From reading online it sounds like the melton wool lining is fairly thick. I'm strongly considering this jacket but I have concerns about being able to wear it 3 seasons in SoCal.

Blackadder

Anyone who has owned or handled this jacket that can comment on how warm the lining is? From reading online it sounds like the melton wool lining is fairly thick. I'm strongly considering this jacket but I have concerns about being able to wear it 3 seasons in SoCal.
RC single riders's lining is warm enough for temp below 10 degree celcius.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
(Multi part) Size question for Rainbow Country jackets, please help. Photos looks awesome and exchange rates are in favor right now.

What is the drop or taper from chest to waist to hem? For example, if the chest is 22" then is it 21" at the waist and then 22" at the hem? Or is it 22" Chest drops to 20" at the waist and then flares out to 21" at the hem?
Or in relation to jeans size, is Japanese 42 size = someone who wears size 32 to 34 jean (Uniqlo size standard), and Japanese size 44 size = someone who wears size 34 to 36 jean. Am I making sense?

Are the measurements on the conservative side or maximum side? These are the measurements from the Mushman store:
34---身幅49.5cm/着丈60.5cm/肩幅43.0cm/袖丈59.5cm
36---身幅51.0cm/着丈62.0cm/肩幅44.5cm/袖丈60.5cm
38---身幅52.5cm/着丈63.0cm/肩幅46.0cm/袖丈62.0cm
40---身幅54.0cm/着丈64.0cm/肩幅47.5cm/袖丈63.5cm
42---身幅55.0cm/着丈65.0cm/肩幅49.0cm/袖丈65.0cm
44---身幅57.0cm/着丈65.0cm/肩幅50.0cm/袖丈65.0cm

So when it says 55cm, is it at least 55 cm and may be bigger or is 55cm like a median number and can swing either way up to a cm?

Rainbow country horsehide - Is there a slight give or stretch? The full aniline Shinkis I've experienced has no stretch. But the pony Shinki has some give. How is the Rainbow country horsehide temper? The ones used for the single riders/Hercules cossacks.

Thanks!

I kept seeing RC being mentioned here. And xiao xiong mentioned in the Chinese reviews. Given the current exchange rates, RC Shinki Hercules cost about the same as what an Aero used to cost (with VAT with old exchange rates). Insert my shocking face emoji here. And the wait is maximum one year right? For the following year. What am I missing here?

20210517_3473432.jpg

20210517_3473433.jpg

Blackadder

(Multi part) Size question for Rainbow Country jackets, please help. Photos looks awesome and exchange rates are in favor right now.

What is the drop or taper from chest to waist to hem? For example, if the chest is 22" then is it 21" at the waist and then 22" at the hem? Or is it 22" Chest drops to 20" at the waist and then flares out to 21" at the hem?
Or in relation to jeans size, is Japanese 42 size = someone who wears size 32 to 34 jean (Uniqlo size standard), and Japanese size 44 size = someone who wears size 34 to 36 jean. Am I making sense?

Are the measurements on the conservative side or maximum side? These are the measurements from the Mushman store:
34---身幅49.5cm/着丈60.5cm/肩幅43.0cm/袖丈59.5cm
36---身幅51.0cm/着丈62.0cm/肩幅44.5cm/袖丈60.5cm
38---身幅52.5cm/着丈63.0cm/肩幅46.0cm/袖丈62.0cm
40---身幅54.0cm/着丈64.0cm/肩幅47.5cm/袖丈63.5cm
42---身幅55.0cm/着丈65.0cm/肩幅49.0cm/袖丈65.0cm
44---身幅57.0cm/着丈65.0cm/肩幅50.0cm/袖丈65.0cm

So when it says 55cm, is it at least 55 cm and may be bigger or is 55cm like a median number and can swing either way up to a cm?

Rainbow country horsehide - Is there a slight give or stretch? The full aniline Shinkis I've experienced has no stretch. But the pony Shinki has some give. How is the Rainbow country horsehide temper? The ones used for the single riders/Hercules cossacks.

Thanks!

I kept seeing RC being mentioned here. And xiao xiong mentioned in the Chinese reviews. Given the current exchange rates, RC Shinki Hercules cost about the same as what an Aero used to cost (with VAT with old exchange rates). Insert my shocking face emoji here. And the wait is maximum one year right? For the following year. What am I missing here?

View attachment 450958
View attachment 450959
I can't answer the first part. Waist and hem are usually not listed. I doubt giving you the waist and hem of my size 36 RC would help.
Measurements listed seem pretty spot on. My experience is the measurement is very consistent with probably less than 1 cm deviation. I have tried on my fd's before purchasing mine. As said the back photo was taken by someone of me wearing my fd's jacket.
RC's shiniki is quite rigid. I have 3 RC jackets and the shiniki on all three are pretty much the same except the colour.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I can't answer the first part. Waist and hem are usually not listed. I doubt giving you the waist and hem of my size 36 RC would help.
Measurements listed seem pretty spot on. My experience is the measurement is very consistent with probably less than 1 cm deviation. I have tried on my fd's before purchasing mine. As said the back photo was taken by someone of me wearing my fd's jacket.
RC's shiniki is quite rigid. I have 3 RC jackets and the shiniki on all three are pretty much the same except the colour.
Thanks Blackadder! The rigid hide is good intel especially for sizing. I've found that some Shinkis are combi tanned and deer soft and some spent more time in the veg pit so and is more rigid. I do prefer the rigid ones because they tend to patina better.
Unless I can find one on Yahoo auction I think my best bet is to go with the Japanese sellers that deals with oversea. But it's gonna be FW22/23. Which to my understanding gets delivered sometime next spring/summer. So could be even faster than some Shinki custom makers.
Fingers crossed...

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
If it is ok with the OP I will start posting all my Rainbow Country jackets in this unofficial RC thread. It was, afterall, reading this thread that made me take the final plunge into the Rainbow Country...

First up, the Rainbow Country RCL-10029H Stand collar single rider, Jelado store edition, in Nume horsehide, some type of satin lining. Feels like nylon but I am not sure. I think usually Rainbow Country jackets are lined in melton wool. The thick kind that Aero uses. At least 18oz. The Jelado store edition seems to offer thinner linings for warmer weather.

This one is a size 42.

Fit pics. I am 175lbs this morning for reference. I would say RC patterns are EXCELLENT and are TTS. High arm hole. Just like Langlizt and Johnson Leathers. If you wear suit 40R or 42slim suit, this is how the 42 fits. If you want to wear sweat shirt underneath, go up a size, especially with their thicker wool liner.

IMG_7382.JPG
IMG_7394.JPG
IMG_7404.JPG
IMG_7411.JPG

The RC horsehide is very special. Very robust. I say the same 3.25oz as CXL FQHH but more pliable. Leather and finishing is the one two punch RC does that no one else can match imo.

IMG_7419.JPG

IMG_7421.JPG

Check out how they do the lining. Who else does it like them? The lining is another jacket fused into the shell jacket!
IMG_7420.JPG

A RC jacket is running about ¥180k yen now, which is about $1250, less than GW, FL, HB, FW, LW...etc. And RC is offering leather that no one else is doing and finishings that no one else does. The only down side is their discrimination against larger sizes. If you wear US XL there is no Rainbow for you. Sorry.

Measuring pics for this jacket:
IMG_7322.JPG

IMG_7315.JPG

IMG_7316.JPG

Blackadder

If it is ok with the OP I will start posting all my Rainbow Country jackets in this unofficial RC thread. It was, afterall, reading this thread that made me take the final plunge into the Rainbow Country...

First up, the Rainbow Country RCL-10029H Stand collar single rider, Jelado store edition, in Nume horsehide, some type of satin lining. Feels like nylon but I am not sure. I think usually Rainbow Country jackets are lined in melton wool. The thick kind that Aero uses. At least 18oz. The Jelado store edition seems to offer thinner linings for warmer weather.

This one is a size 42.

Fit pics. I am 175lbs this morning for reference. I would say RC patterns are EXCELLENT and are TTS. High arm hole. Just like Langlizt and Johnson Leathers. If you wear suit 40R or 42slim suit, this is how the 42 fits. If you want to wear sweat shirt underneath, go up a size, especially with their thicker wool liner.

View attachment 454511 View attachment 454512 View attachment 454513 View attachment 454514

The RC horsehide is very special. Very robust. I say the same 3.25oz as CXL FQHH but more pliable. Leather and finishing is the one two punch RC does that no one else can match imo.

View attachment 454515
View attachment 454516
Check out how they do the lining. Who else does it like them? The lining is another jacket fused into the shell jacket!
View attachment 454517
A RC jacket is running about ¥180k yen now, which is about $1250, less than GW, FL, HB, FW, LW...etc. And RC is offering leather that no one else is doing and finishings that no one else does. The only down side is their discrimination against larger sizes. If you wear US XL there is no Rainbow for you. Sorry.

Measuring pics for this jacket:
View attachment 454518
View attachment 454519
View attachment 454520
in addition to the lack of sizes, they also suffer from lack of models.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
in addition to the lack of sizes, they also suffer from lack of models.
Yup, they seem to only do no more than a handful models each season. And A2 and G1 takes up at least two spots, leaving only 3 to maybe 4 other models. And not all store carry all the model and sizes.
But their horsehide is really something out of this world good. If anything they have tried to make a wearable CXL and they have succeded.
Rainbow Country is the real deal.

Blackadder

Yup, they seem to only do no more than a handful models each season. And A2 and G1 takes up at least two spots, leaving only 3 to maybe 4 other models. And not all store carry all the model and sizes.
But their horsehide is really something out of this world good. If anything they have tried to make a wearable CXL and they have succeded.
Rainbow Country is the real deal.
Off the top of my head- regular models are Down vest, Down jacket, A-2, G-1, B-3, Single Riders, Cafe Racer and Grizzly. The same every season and very very few variations or new models over the years. For example, your cafe racer is a rather new model that came out around 4-5 years ago to replace the old cafe racer (a pure Buco J-100 clone). So still just one cafe racer in the lineup.

Last edited:

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Wait what?! Grizzly is a regular stocking model from Rainbow Country? Like the one in Classifieds with the Crown zip? I am gonna have to keep a very close eye these next few months.
All I've been seeing on their retailer list are the same jackets you are quoting and that aviator Ponyboy and the Winward that Mushman does with him but no Grizz.
I'll keep my eyes out for sure.
I wish Rainbow Country would venture out to ROW market or maybe do a collab with Johnson in San Fran. Haha...

Blackadder

Wait what?! Grizzly is a regular stocking model from Rainbow Country? Like the one in Classifieds with the Crown zip? I am gonna have to keep a very close eye these next few months.
All I've been seeing on their retailer list are the same jackets you are quoting and that aviator Ponyboy and the Winward that Mushman does with him but no Grizz.
I'll keep my eyes out for sure.
I wish Rainbow Country would venture out to ROW market or maybe do a collab with Johnson in San Fran. Haha...
Pony boy is a new model but not sure if it is gonna be a regular. There is a buttoned half belt and a car coat that have been around for years. I forgot about those.
It is possible that they have discontinued the Grizzly. I have not really kept the Grizzly on my watch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch