Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ralph Lauren's favourite leather shearling jacket

Makaira

New in Town
Hi guys,

in the mid and late eighties RL promoted his western line of clothes and interiors.
There were several stories of him, his wife and family shooted at their Rigdway,CO ranch in
high profile magazines like Vanity Fair and Style. Also photographers like Bruce Weber
and Deborah Turbeville made pictures of him at this time.

At every of these occasion and later on as well RL wear specific kind of leather jacket:

- strong vintage appearance
- outer shell: horse or steer hide
- off white shearling lining
- dark collar (shearling, fur?)
- no cuffs

gkeewksh73mjekwm.jpg

http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/books/promos/a-plus/lauren_4b.jpg

http://www.bibliopolis.com/books/images/clients/jmvintage/18269.jpg

I was always wondered about the story behind this jacket. It had the lining of a B3 or B6 jacket,
the shell of an A2 and the darker collar of a G1 or B2. I can also imagine that RL has had made it by
his own specifications.

Perhaps somebody has some information about it. Thanks a lot.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
It was a popular style in the 1940s and 1950s. Most of this length would originally have come with a belt, but most lost them over the years. Lots of different makers did them. I wouldn't say there's any direct relation to the B3, B6, A2, G1 or B2. Strictly a civilian style. More directly descended from the belted double breasted shawl collared sheeplined styles of the 1920s-1930s, with the addition of a zipper requiring the change of many details.

Here's one sold by the Spiegel catalog. Brown mouton collar, horsehide body, white sheepskin lining. Here's a full post on it with more pictures:
http://vintagehaberdashers.com/2013/01/12/spiegel-front-quarter-horsehide-leather-jacket/
14818_405727069504542_188424684_n.jpg

Last edited:

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Sears did sell a version under the hercules label, but the one I posted was sold by Spiegel. This style was pretty common in that era as a winter version of a surcoat-length leather jacket.

simonc

Practically Family
I have one in black with shearling lined, its beautiful, I'll try to get up a fit pic for you to take a look at now the temp has dropped here in London.

FaceOfBoh

New in Town
He's done more than alright. I read an unauthorized biography last year, Genuine Authentic. It was fascinating. A great insight into fashion, production, business, marketing, and to some extent "the mind" of RL. Say what you will, he had / has a genuine interest in clothes, especially the styles from his youth, and there has always been strong streams of vintage inspiration and adoration running through his collections (and I'm not even referring to his RRL line). Now that he's been at it for so long it's interesting to see how we're now seeing "vintage" Ralph Lauren.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
That's true, Boh. I have a great corduroy blazer by RL - it's new but it feels like it was made in the 1950's, great fabric and a thick cotton lining.

alsendk

A-List Customer
Hi Dinerman,

thanks for your tips. I did some research in the civillian arena.

What do you think of of Aero's "Thunder Bay"?

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=1473

If I did not have an Irvin jacket already, this Thunder bay would be my absolute choice. A little pricey though, even compared to an Irvin, but a beautiful jacket, suited for the danish winter indeed. Have never seen a used one up for sale though

alsendk

A-List Customer
Would have been a perfect choice...size and all, but I was too late, but thank you !
I have made up my mind to save my money to go for the Aero Thunder jacket. It will be perfect for most of the weather condition here, whilst the Irvin easily look a little too much, except for the really cold days. I have no jacket to wear in the between days, so the Thunder looks like an exellent choice.

Makaira

New in Town
Hi Peacoat, that's absolutely true. Sorry to tempt you with this jacket. But as we say in Germany: "Life ain't no pony farm!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy