Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rank and Patches on Military Jackets - Might I Offend a Veteran?

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Peacoat said:
As to the blood chit, personally I wouldn't wear one because of the reasons stated above. And, as you so astutely pointed out, the blood chit may cause resentment among our Japanese friends, most of whom would be too polite to mention it.

I agree it may prompt unnecessary hostility and resentment which is too much a price to pay for a piece of clothing. ;)

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
Personally, for me as a WWII living historian, as is Teabag1927, our expiriences with vets are nothing short of awesome. They thoroughly enjoy the fact that enthusiasts as young as we are (17) emulate them and go to extreme lengths to be as era-correct as possible. They get a kick out of it, such as seeing Charms candy at the movie event I heard "Holy crap, where did you find these?!!? I haven't seen these in such a long long time!!"

In the realm of living historians, we have what we call "First person histories" - Which is what we as historians base our efforts on, we basically rewrite our lives to fit the time, we make an alternate life to live by. Sounds crazy right? Some make theirs from scratch, others like myself and Kurt base ours of of veterans we know and we have learned from. We emulate our heros, its an honor to try and keep the memory of a veteran alive.

Once in a great while there will be the occasional person who thinks WWII living historians are wackos who glorify war and belong in a loony bin! Its based on honor, we dress up to remember because we know OUR OWN GENERATION doesn't know squat about what happened before the 1990s. Its sad, but its the truth. When we put on a uniform, or a suit, or make some type of historically correct display, we are keeping the memory alive.

As for the jacket, a paint job would be nice, you'd get a lot of compliments on it. As for rank, keep it low. nothing above Sergeant. Do you want to portray an air crew man, or ground crew?

miles_archer

Familiar Face
GranadaGuy617 said:
Personally, for me as a WWII living historian, as is Teabag1927, our expiriences with vets are nothing short of awesome. They thoroughly enjoy the fact that enthusiasts as young as we are (17) emulate them and go to extreme lengths to be as era-correct as possible.

Pretty sure you should call yourself a 'living historian' until you're at least old enough to vote.

Jay

Practically Family
Just my two cents

Like others have said, I think it depends on what type of person the veteran may be. Like this one time I was standing outside of a barber shop in my A-2 with patches for one of the guys who flew with the Doolittle Raiders. An old man walking by asked me about the 12th Air Force patch I had on and I told him how I had the patches on there as a funny sort of way to honor those guys. He went to tell me about his time in the 20th Air Force with the B-29s in the Pacific.

And to think if I didn't have those patches, I would have missed a wonderful opportunity to speak with a veteran.

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
The term living historian applies to any person that portrays a period of time for the education of the public who would otherwise be stuck in a museum. Living historian is a reenactor of a period of time that does not just fight in tactical events, but goes beyond that and becomes involved with the public.

miles_archer said:
Pretty sure you should call yourself a 'living historian' until you're at least old enough to vote.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Carlisle Blues said:
I did serve, got severely injured while single-handedly saving well over one hundred people from burning to death and am very, very involved with both active duty personnel and veterans on a volunteer basis.

The very reason why I joined the service was to do my part in preserving the freedoms which I not only enjoy, but, others as well.

I am not a flag waver, per se, I don't get misty eyed when I hear my nation's anthem and I respect the rights of others even if I do not agree with their opinions. I did what I did because I felt the need to contribute to society. I am more of a Voltaire type.

It is in that spirit that I do not have any concerns what people wear on actual military uniforms or replicas. The ladies and gentlemen I come into contact with may strongly oppose that ideal.

Tasteful or not the wearing of such is making a statement and not everybody is going to agree with that statement. I do not find it offensive, in fact, the freedom to wear such an article of one's free will speaks to the spirit of my service. ;)

Thank you, Carlisle Blues, for your service, and for being involved with veterans and active-duty personnel.

SIGGY

A-List Customer
patches/rank etc

I am a avid Ww2 history buff,I wear a cap that I have put most of the AAF numbered metal pins on it, I have had many veterans that I would have otherwise missed opportunities to talk with had I not been wearing it, I agree with Jay,you meet more of them and can experience thier stories/life this way,and the fellows here that want to "respectfully" and properly adorn thier jackets with sqd or group emblems i think should not worry about "Offending" anyone,I have also had which to me is even more import young kids in thier early teens and younger ask me what the pins are on my cap and I'm glad to be able to pass on what they stand for as mentioned by several memebers WW2 is getting to be more and more forgotten and that is just a shame as this war and it's people are what REALLY made America and we should do all we can to keep thier memories and more so thier scarifices alive and unforgotten!!!! I also wear shirts with military aircraft on them as it's too hot here in Florida to wear an A-2 etc, the shirts have gotten many a veteran started in great converstaions,I know this is a different vein than the jackets but it is another way I feel of keeping thier time alive and honored!!!!

My UTMOST thanks to all WW2 veterans and all other wars veterans for what you did and are doing for us,Salute:eusa_clap

Cigarband

A-List Customer
I am a member of The United States Aviation Museum in Willoughby Ohio, and a participant in its annual Wings Of Eagles Airshow since 1995. I have had the privilege and honor to meet many Heroes of "The Greatest Generation."
Including, Major Robert Morgan, pilot of the Memphis Belle, and Gunther Rall, Luftwaffe Ace. And many others.
We always have a large contingent of reenactors attending, and not once in all these years has a Veteran ever expressed anything but delight at having their contribution to History saluted and commemorated by these "Living Historians."
Wear your researched uniforms with pride and reverence,
"Lest We Forget.":eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Widebrim said:
Thank you, Carlisle Blues, for your service, and for being involved with veterans and active-duty personnel.

Your welcome and thank you for saying that.. Widebrim
icon14.gif

dostacos

Practically Family
earned, no {rank etc} and second I will not wear any jacket that I am old enough to have served in {like the Viet Nam in country date jackets, any unit patches from then on}

however, a WWII jacket that I am not old enough to wear in combat is different, that I will wear to honor those who served.

If I saw a young man wearing jacket with the Tuskegee airman unit I would presume that they are honoring those who came before them

JLStorm

Practically Family
On occasion I work with the defense industry and military. I work in a complex with quite a lot of air force personnel wearing the jackets they earned. If they saw anyone wearing a jacket that was clearly not their own they would smile and make small talk, then roll their eyes when you left. From my experience, if you didnt earn the patches, werent gifted the patches from someone who was in debt of your service, or arent wearing them remembering an immediate family member...just dont wear them...its that simple.

As far as rank...no, never. Unless you earned them or perhaps your father earned them you are cheapening them and defacing those who earned them by wearing them. Its just disgraceful. Sorry if I offend, but Ive seen people whos rank weighs their shoulders down with pain, guilt, and during war, the weight of the world and their men...if you havent felt that...you dont deserve to wear them.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Last winter I attended a holiday concert in which my daughter performed. It was a very casual affair and the weather was balmy, so I wore my A2. It has the Army Air Forces decal on the shoulder, my name plate, and a Capri bell, that's all.
I was spotted by a much older gentleman who I caught staring at my jacket. Finally he came up to me and said "Where the hell did you get that A2?" I said it was a copy and I wear it in memory of my dad, who served in the war. He relaxed a bit, and said "well, I knew you weren't there. I was, I had one of those jackets." And he just turned and walked off. I have a feeling that if I had been wearing a patch or rank, he would have kicked my butt.

green papaya

One Too Many
would you wear a flyer's jacket with MAJOR rank?

I have a military issue flight jacket that still has the Major's gold maple leaf on the shoulders and other patches, would it be acceptable to wear it for casual wear as long as I didnt claim to be a military pilot or former major?

or should I remove all insignia? since I didnt earn it

Gene

Practically Family
green papaya said:
I have a military issue flight jacket that still has the Major's gold maple leaf on the shoulders and other patches, would it be acceptable to wear it for casual wear as long as I didnt claim to be a military pilot or former major?

or should I remove all insignia? since I didnt earn it

What type of jacket are you talking about? I say keep them on regardless. I have 2LT insignia on my A-2.

Gene

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
No, I wouldn't wear the rank. I do have a WWII British officer's greatcoat that I wear in the winter, but when I recieved it I removed the Lt Col rank insignia from the shoulders.

GHQ1

One of the Regulars
Insignia

"In accordance with chapter 45, section 771, title 10, United States
Code ( 10 USC 771 ), no person except a member of the U.S. Army may
wear the uniform, or a distinctive part of the uniform of the U.S.
Army unless otherwise authorized by law. Additionally, no person
except a member of the U.S. Army may wear a uniform, any part of which
is similar to a distinctive part of the U.S. Army uniform."

Here is the applicable federal statute:

Sec. 771. - Unauthorized wearing prohibited

Except as otherwise provided by law, no person except a member of the
Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps, as the case may be, may wear -

(1)
the uniform, or a distinctive part of the uniform, of the Army, Navy,
Air Force, or Marine Corps; or

(2)
a uniform any part of which is similar to a distinctive part of the
uniform of the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps

Pretty broad in scope . . . and it's all a question of degree and intent in your application . . . The one egregious story that sticks in my mind was the guy who claimed to be a CMH recipient, dressed the part with neck medal, and spoke at events and accepted donations . . Or go back to WW2 for the Eagle Squadrons . .lots of guys post war claimed to be Eagles but never were . . .the so called "Imposter Roster" as maintained by a 71st Eagle Sqdn member. . .

One alternative is the move the insignia inside the jacket or under the collars so it's still there as part of some historical reference . . .I recall that Great Escape scene where Hilts is captured . . .and he looks like he doesn't have a uniform on . .and he whistles (I think) as he digs inside his neck to find his CAPT bars pinned to his sweatshirt . . Just a little sliver of silver to show he wasn't a spy! . .

To me if you badge up a jacket to make people think you served then that's a step over the line . . . How many times do you wish to say "No I'm not a major or No I've never served?" I'd simply never invite the question . .

Edward

Bartender
Up to you.... for me, a lot would depend on the jacket. I'd never dream of putting rank insignia on a repro jacket I was buying for civilian wear.... but then I'm hardly the military type, and am largely only interested in these sorts of things for their civilian applications. Were it something that was an original and would therefore lose something of its history if I debadged it, I'd leave it (assuming we're talking stitched on stuff that can't be snapped on / off as desired). [huh]

Maybe things are different in the US, but of all the ex and current forces folks I've ever met in the UK, not a single one of them would have willingliy been seen in anything they were issued by the military when they didn't have to be!

Gene

Practically Family
Well I don't think they issue those types of jackets anymore and therefore I don't see the problem with it. If you go around wearing a repro M41 field jacket with your Sgt stripes on it that you use for reenacting I hardly think many people are going to assume that you are actually in the modern military (although you'd be surprised the comments I've gotten to and from reenactments).

I wear my A2 to reenactments and I also wear it in the Winter. I also wear my grandpa's crush cap occasionally, and I'm not trying to make people think I'm in the military...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR