Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rare Ghost Orchid found where I work

Mike K.

One Too Many
I just wanted to pass this along to all my friends at the Lounge.
This rare flower was recently found at the Audubon wildlife sanctuary where I work.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-07-11-ghost-orchid_N.htm
ghost-orchidx.jpg

It's amazing what rare finds are still out there in this world.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Yes, I'm one happy (and proud) Audubon warden!:D
Our office phones have been ringing off the hook. The news has reached Europe, China, Australia, all over!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
A few years ago, I read about a Cuban bat that apparently got blown to Florida in a hurricane. What with the embargo, did the bat ever get back to Cuba?

Mike K.

One Too Many
Well, it's best viewed with binoculars or, better still, a spotting scope. The flowers are really far away and high in the forest canopy. I managed to get a few photographs, but even my lens is too short. The pics in the news articles were taken with an extremely big lens (like 500mm with a 2x converter).

Would you believe we've already received anonymous calls that somebody will be stealing it! Perhaps they don't know that we've already installed infrared motion sensors with cameras around the location. In addition to our own staff there will be sheriff deputies patrolling. Can you believe people would be so crazy?! Don't they realize that the orchids die once they're removed from their host tree?

An interesting and related read:
http://www.amazon.com/Orchid-Thief-Obsession-Ballantine-Readers/dp/044900371X

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Mike K. said:
ff there will be sheriff deputies patrolling. Can you believe people would be so crazy?! Don't they realize that the orchids die once they're removed from their host tree?

When my dad lived in Honduras, someone stole all of the orchids out of his yard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy