"Ratched" on Netflix: For the Vintage

Discussion in 'The Moving Picture' started by scotrace, Sep 23, 2020.

1. scotrace

scotrace Head Bartender Staff Member

Ratched-Netflix-Costumes-Fashion-Tom-Lorenzo-Site-30.jpg

My Missus and I have been looking forward to this one, because we're big fans of Ryan Murphy when he's good, and we figured the restraint of eight episodes would keep him from the wild time-wasting plot diversions of American Horror Story. Also, Sarah Paulson could be my wife's twin sister.

Try as I might, I couldn't spot much of anything that wasn't correct for the time, from the specific (if stark) colors used throughout to the cloth covered appliance cords and nifty curtain fabrics. There is a glaring artistic license later on in the series which can be overlooked as a needed plot device, but other than that, this thing is worth a watch to see the clothes, furnishings, cars, shoes, appliances, office spaces, barware, etc.

One caveat: Though it's supposed to explain the backstory for Nurse Ratched in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, This Nurse Ratched has absolutely nothing to do with the film character, as far as I can work out.

Edward likes this.
  2. Worf

Worf I'll Lock Up

As for your last point, maybe so maybe not. I don't know if I can take another 3 seasons of reprehensible people doing reprehensible things. I too loved the costumes, the cars etc... See my review in the TV section. Glad I'm not the only one here that's watched this.

Worf

3. Bushman

Bushman My Mail is Forwarded Here

I really enjoyed this one, even if I found the ending a tad "out there.' Looking forward to the possibility of a season 2!

4. Edward

Edward Bartender

I've watched a couple of episodes - I want all the Doctor's suits. I'm unconvinced about the artistic merits of this trend of "explaining" every great cinematic villain, but it all just looks so beautiful, it's Noir by Burton.

5. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

There are a few shows I enjoy watching with the sound down. Plots and performances are often tedious but some shows look really good. This could be one such offering.