Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Razor experts - What did I buy?

Flieger

Practically Family
Yesterday I came across these three razors in a thrift shop at the combined price of about $ 1.50. They all say "Gillette" of course but other then that I can find no info on them.

Do these razors have a model name/number?

Mosty important of all - Can they be used without cutting my face to ribbons?

Cheers,
/F

razors02.jpg

razors01.jpg

Alucard73

One of the Regulars
The all metal one appears to be a 40's /early 50's Rocket. The bluish one is a Knack which is a later cheaper TTO (twist to open) gillette. Still a good razor. The last one looks to be some version of the Knack. All good razors with the Rocket being the most valuable and best shaver (IMHO). Nothing extremely rare but you did VERY well at $1.50. Clean them up and Enjoy.

I would (and do occasionally) use the Rocket. Clean it, sanitize it and drop in a new blade (Red Persona works well). Move slow and steady and you should be ok. If not used to shaving with a double edge razor, it may take you a while to get used to the differences and the blade angle, but the learning curve is worth it. Remember these razors will not flex around your face so your hand and arm must move around the curves or "There Will Be Blood". Also, do not use any pressure on your face, just use the weight of the razor.

Flieger

Practically Family
Thank you Alucard for the introduction to double edged razors and shaving!

I'll order some blades and a good shaving soap this week and start my training. I'm sure there'll be some blood at first but, since I'm married to a good nurse, I think I'll be safe enough. :)

/Flieger

There will be blood.

These are the old "Double Edge" (DE) razors that our fathers and grandfathers used as a "safety" change from the straight razor. They slowly disappeared after the introduction of the twin (Stacked) blades such as from BIC.

The shape of the blade makes it posible to nick yourself with the corner of the blade, but once you get used to them it can be a fine shave.

I use Merkur blades, but Feather brand are supposed to be the sharpest.

If you still use canned shaving cream, look at a brush and soap for lather, it is a great step up for a razor shave.

Rider

Familiar Face
Many persons, my self included, find Feathers to be too sharp. I keep trying to make Feathers work for me, but the tourniquet around the neck has begun to make breathing difficult.

TOO SHARP? This is a long running debate on the straight razor forums. When self sharpening it is posible to get an edge too thin and it can fold or collapse but too sharp must also be subjective. You will hear complaints of too sharp about Feather Brand blades.

rikrdo

A-List Customer
Flieger:
Do not fear the safety razor.............it is FAR superior to the multi-bladed madness that is being force fed to us today.
There is a learning curve to be considered but, with patience and perseverance, you will find this method to be mucho better for your mug than what you are used to.

The razors you have stumbled onto will serve you well...just take your time and dont be afraid to test different blades.
I believe there is a perfect blade / razor combo for everyone. Hang tough and you will succeed.

I will leave you with this advice ( and I have tried many, many different blades):

Derbys and Feathers.
That is all.

Flieger

Practically Family
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

I have in fact ordered a pack of Feather blades to go with my razors. Too sharp or not? Well, I guess we just have to wait and see.

I already had a shaving brush and I've ordered a D.R Harris soap to go with it.

Reason I wanted to try this Double Edge (DE) shaving out is that I also find the prices on my Mach 3 blades outragous. If my beard wasn't growing in such a irregular fashion I'd be tempted to grow a full face of it.

/F

DerMann

Practically Family
Safety razors are great. They offer a much closer and cleaner shave than cartridge razors, but do not require the skill and accessories of straight razors to use.

Cartridges for new razors cost something like $20 for 10, which might last a month. The Persona DE blades at Wal Mart come in a neat dispenser for $2 per pack of 10. I usually change the blade every two shaves just because I like sharp blades and they're ridiculously cheap.

Archéologue

Flieger-
Nice find on the razors. I grew up shaving with this type (age 60). There were no disposable razors in those days. It is important to be well lathered for the shave. The lubrication of the lather avoids nicks. The only time I get one is when I hurry and take fast, broad swaths with the razor.

If you look further at yard sales and flea markets, look for a double-edged razor sharpening stone. These look like a small 2" x 3" honing stone for craftsmen, but one side was made dished out along its length. The idea was to place your double edge razor blade in the trough, run it back and forth with lather, and the edge gets honed new as it rubs along the edges of the trough. Note that I also shave with an old school straight edge razor sometimes.
-Michael

Flieger

Practically Family
Hello Michael.

Thanks for your input. I'm really not so worried about using the safty razor as I might have come off in my initial post. I usually tend to take my time shaving and if I find myself in the situation where I have to shave in a hurry - I rather put it off until I have the time to do it properly. From this angle I'm fortunate to be blessed with fairly light colored beard so even if I don't shave in the morning I don't get the 5 o'clock "shade" in the afternoon. :D

I actually saw a couple of those honing stones you mentioned on the same place I found my razors. I didn't think to grab them as I thougt they belonged to the straight edged razors that I also saw there. Dang!

/F

Archéologue

I see those stones often at yard sales and flea markets. I think its because nobody knows what they are. I also don't use canned shaving cream. Have the cup and lather brush. Just add a bit of hot water, whip it up, and away we go! For me, its a retro thing, re-living the early days. Enjoy.
-Michael

D

DeaconKC

Those are all very nice looking, but those Knacks just blew me away! Great looking razors, congrats on a great find!

Flieger

Practically Family
Archéologue said:
I see those stones often at yard sales and flea markets.
-Michael

Are there any benefits to sharpening DE-blades? I mean, they are not that expensive compared to cartridges and I've never been good at getting a good edge even on a simple pen-knife.

Brett McKay said:
If you're looking for some pointers to get started with safety razor shaving, I did a post a while back ago on my blog about it.

Thanks Brett! That was informative reading in a format my brain can process.

DeaconKC said:
...but those Knacks just blew me away!...

Thanks Deacon! Gee... I honestly didn't think much of them when I found them. I just figured they where the usual cheep cr*p I always seem to find on my trift-shop visits. :)

/F

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Benefits to sharping D-E blades. Well if you want to out green the biggest granola chomping yuppy out there then I can't think of how to make shaving any more eco-friendly or "green". The coolness factor of it. Okay so that's all the ideas I have. I'll have to pull mine out of my vintage shaving kit, load a fresh blade (or sharpen the one in it) and give it a try. Now that I've read that blog post on how to from Brett McKay. Thanks Brett. Now I can be manly at the living history events I do with the AAF.

Matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran