Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Razor experts - What did I buy?

Feraud

Bartender
GWD said:
What is adjustable on the adjustable safety razors?
Not a stupid question at all. Some (all?) safety razors have an adjustable knob to vary the angle of the blade.

My safety has an 0-9 adjustment knob located under the blade.

GWD

One Too Many
Feraud said:
Not a stupid question at all. Some (all?) safety razors have an adjustable knob to vary the angle of the blade.

My safety has an 0-9 adjustment knob located under the blade.

Has to be some, my safety razor has no adjustments. What advantage comes with "adjustability"?

Feraud

Bartender
Good question. I have not noticed an improvement based on minor blade adjustments.
With non adjustable blades you adjust the position of the blade based on your hand movements. Same difference I guess.

GWD

One Too Many
I think I understand now. I thought maybe it adjusted the actual curvature of the blade. But it adjust the "angle of attack" right?

Feraud

Bartender
GWD said:
I think I understand now. I thought maybe it adjusted the actual curvature of the blade. But it adjust the "angle of attack" right?
Hmmm...curvature of the blade would be the angle of attack. Same principle I think.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Gary,
The adjustables actually change the blade gap; the space between the guide bar and the blade edge. This allows you to get a more aggressive shave. I do my first pass with my Gillette Slim Adjustable set to #2. I do my subsequent passes set on #3, I get a very smooth comfortable shave this way. Starting out with a milder blade setting allows a shorter hair length to be removed, so I get get no pulling or tugging.

Alucard73

One of the Regulars
If you want to remove a layer of skin (say it was exposed to radiation or something) you can crank the adjustable up to 9.

GWD

One Too Many
rmrdaddy said:
Gary,
The adjustables actually change the blade gap; the space between the guide bar and the blade edge. This allows you to get a more aggressive shave. I do my first pass with my Gillette Slim Adjustable set to #2. I do my subsequent passes set on #3, I get a very smooth comfortable shave this way. Starting out with a milder blade setting allows a shorter hair length to be removed, so I get get no pulling or tugging.

Cool thanks! I'll start looking for one! Any Recommendations?

Alucard73

One of the Regulars
Gillette "fatboy" is the go to adjustable. There is also the "slim". If money is not an object, I recomend the "Toggle". It is a beautiful gold adjustable that shaves wonderfully.

Archéologue

The razor I am currently using is not adjustable, probably an early model. Its gold plated and was my grandfather's. I used to have the adjustable kind and lost it. It was the best. I seem to remember reading that the honing stone came into being for the use of soldiers who did not have access to replacement blades.

As an aside, I remember getting shaved at the barber shop by an old barber with a straight razor. I have never had such a clean shave, it was so smooth.
Michael

rikrdo

A-List Customer
GWD:
Start checking out local thrift stores and antique marts.....many good finds to be had.

or.......
maybe we can work out a trade /swap ?
Some of my shavery for one of your lids ???
Ive got razors and blades, soaps and creams, after shaves and balms.

PM me if your interested.

Flieger

Practically Family
So... It's been a couple of weeks and a number of shaves since I started this post. Now I'm totally hooked on DE safety razor shaving with a budding RAS-syndrome. :eek:

These have been added to my starting collection:
GilletteX3.jpg

1: Slim Adjustable (K1) 1965
2: Aristocrat (no serial # found)
3: British flair tip Rocket (no date)

And today (my birthday) my wife added these:
book_badger.jpg

All smiles over here. :)

B Dale Mauger

New in Town
Lots of good videos on youtube also, geofatboy does a lot of them. If your just starting out I would suggest a shave cream in a tube then work up to the soaps.

ChrisT

One of the Regulars
My very first razor (in the early 80') was the same as the blue one

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran