Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Real Hats for a Baseball Cap Guy?

Eliesti

A-List Customer
Now that I got myself a real hat with another on the way, I thought I would see if I can get my father one as he recently told me the hot Nevada sun is a problem for him and he has to wear hats (to him this means baseball caps) everywhere.

I thought it would be nice to get him a full brimmed hat since a baseball cap only covers his eyes. However, I am not sure what type of hat to get him. I love my father, but he is stubborn as a mule when it comes to change (and, at almost 70 years old, feels he has little reason to change now), and I am worried he may be resistant to stepping out of a baseball cap and into a real hat.

I therefore think it is important to keep the brim size manageable and the style of hat low-key. I also think most western hats will not be an option for him as he may feel stereotyped. Cost is also a factor as he is he type of person who wears free baseball caps with company logos and Costco shoes. Ivy and flat caps are also not an option as they are not better for his situation than a baseball cap. It should also be noted that he probably will not take good care of the hat but will not be using hard other than daily wear (he is not an outdoorsy person). He also wears the same baseball cap all the time so it would be ideal if it could be a true everyday hat that would stand up to rain or shine.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Since you're talking hot Nevada weather, maybe go over to PanamHatsDirect.com. Prices are reasonable, you can choose brim widths, and maybe he'll like having a nice straw.

You're his son, I'm sure he'd be thrilled with such a gift, stubborn or not!

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
He may be more open to the idea if you try a hat with dimensions that were in fashion in his youth. 50's hats also have the added bonus of looking mighty cool in any weather, even to a stubborn old dude.
just my 2 cents.

foamy

A-List Customer
Another vote for a Tilley. Great all-around hat that takes no special handling. Do what you want to it—it'll be fine and do it's job while still looking good.

Eliesti

A-List Customer
It sounds like Tilley is the best hat for him. Where is the best place to buy? Any particular models you recommend?

Eliesti

A-List Customer
After checking the reviews, I am leaning toward the LTM5 since the brim is not overpowering and it has the air vents. Anyone own this hat?

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think the Ltm5 is one of their most popular hats. Light and breathable. My first was a T3 and my current is a T5. I have been wearing them for 22 years.

Hope that helps
You can buy them lots of places. Camping outdoor stores. Also online if that fails. Price controlled so it doesn't matter where you buy it.
Johnny

RJR

I think the Ltm5 is one of their most popular hats. Light and breathable. My first was a T3 and my current is a T5. I have been wearing them for 22 years.

Hope that helps
You can buy them lots of places. Camping outdoor stores. Also online if that fails. Price controlled so it doesn't matter where you buy it.
Johnny
Very durable hats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran