Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Real 'James Bond' revealed in MI6 archives

cookie

I'll Lock Up

filfoster

One Too Many
Shaken, not stirred

Re Biffy Dunderdale....
Shangas said:
What a name...I bet he had the girls jumping on him.

I dunno. Sounds like a P G Wodehouse name-one of Bertie Wooster's friends at the Drones?

He would certainly have a chip on his shoulder, disliking the parents who gave him the last name and the childhood bullies who gave him the first.

The blurb does make him out to be a very colorful personality. We should be grateful for his service and the deeds of the others.

In our city, 'raconteur' -if any are to be found-is a euphemism for someone who cadges driinks for stories. As I think on this, a new career goal has materialized.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
"Will you be dining in this evening, sir?"
"No, no Jeeves, Biffy Dunderdale, that new chap at the Drones has invited us all 'round to his house for a spot of dinner. Biffy Biffen, Bingo Little and old Barmy Fotheringay-Phipps said they'd meet me there. I don't expect I'll be back before midnight, so you may as well have the evening off..."
"Very good, sir..."

lol

Story

I'll Lock Up
Soldier, spy, serial seducer: The war hero who inspired James Bond (and had a bizarre sex pact with Ava Gardner)

Courageous, resourceful and charismatic, the ruthlessness with which he pursued his enemy was matched only by the relentlessness with which he pursued women, bedding them at a rate that would make James Bond blush.
He died in 2002 but his memoirs have now been published and form the basis of a new biography, written by former soldier Roger Field, which describes candidly the horrors of the vicious guerrilla war he fought in the Greek mountains — as well as his many amorous escapades.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Bond-sex-pact-Ava-Gardner.html#ixzz1JW4bykxJ

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Popov, Dusan Popov

Popov Dusan Popov! Not the same ring, but I just watched the special on his WWII exploits, and Ian Fleming himself claimed this is who he based Bond on. His exploites as a double agent are legend and so was his womanising. Unfortunately for the USA, J Edger Hoover hated his morals, and did not listen to him when he told the FBI that the Nazis sent him to gather information on Pearl Harbour for the Japanese in August of 1941. It is fascinating, and he was almost discovered twice, but talked his way out of the jam with the Nazis. His coolness is what Fleming liked and put into Bond.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Popov Dusan Popov! Not the same ring, but I just watched the special on his WWII exploits, and Ian Fleming himself claimed this is who he based Bond on. His exploites as a double agent are legend and so was his womanising. Unfortunately for the USA, J Edger Hoover hated his morals, and did not listen to him when he told the FBI that the Nazis sent him to gather information on Pearl Harbour for the Japanese in August of 1941. It is fascinating, and he was almost discovered twice, but talked his way out of the jam with the Nazis. His coolness is what Fleming liked and put into Bond.
Hi

I read his book and if memory serves, he was driving thru the US and was stopped for speeding. The deputy wanted $50 for the fine and Dusko gave him $100 and said keep it, I"ll be back thru town tonight and don't want to have to stop.

Spy/counterspy;: The autobiography of Dusko Popov Amazon has it.

Later

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Soldier, spy, serial seducer: The war hero who inspired James Bond (and had a bizarre sex pact with Ava Gardner)

Courageous, resourceful and charismatic, the ruthlessness with which he pursued his enemy was matched only by the relentlessness with which he pursued women, bedding them at a rate that would make James Bond blush.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Bond-sex-pact-Ava-Gardner.html#ixzz1JW4bykxJ

Gordon-Creed was a special forces ba***rd allright.[angel]lol
Ian Fleming may well have cast Bond from Gordon-Creed's life mold,
but I was under the assumption that ace pitcher Sidney R was 007's proto.:spy:

Last edited:

dobroruka

New in Town
Ribbentrop's watch

Good evening gentlemen,

Sorry to bother as this seems an old thread, but could anyone tell me what's all the fuss regarding cookie and Ribbentrop's watch, please? :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats