Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Real Mccoys Buco BJ21002 Style King… Patina experiences?

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
D
Oh no, now you guys have me questioning the pattern, lol…

I think its kind of chill, like an every day leather jacket for a guy who doesn’t want to be all “leather jacket guy”, you know?

Probably the wrong forum to get a lot of people behind that sentiment, ha ha.

I’m just not huge on the Motörhead look everyday… it’s not really my vibe. I ride, but I have a waxed canvas armored jacket for that. I want something from a really nice maker that will be every day grab and go.

As far as fit goes, does it look boxy on the model?

View attachment 559286

View attachment 559285

To my eyes, it seems to drape well and looks sharp… even the dude from Standard & Strange, who seems to make a lot of things look boxy, appears to get a good fit.

View attachment 559281

That said, the expert eyes of this forum might be seeing something in these photos that I am not. I am still amateurish enough with jackets that something will look supple and drapey to me in pics and then show up stiff as a board in real life… 2 out of 3 Aero purchases (and returns) have been because of that

Don´t worry. If you like it, you like it. There’s nothing objective about style preferences. There sure is nothing „wrong“ with the jacket.

Seems your original question re aging will not be answered after all.

Bender

One of the Regulars
I think I see what you guys mean by something simple and every day but a bit more fitted…

I’ve been looking at a Single Rider jacket or a 40s Single Sport jacket by The Flathead. Both patterns seem to be pretty simple and not too crazy… perhaps suitable for every day.

Thinking the best option would be the Single Rider in brown, if I can find it. Although so far all the size 42 appear sold out everywhere.

What say you lords of leather? Better choice?

Jasonissm

Practically Family
I think I see what you guys mean by something simple and every day but a bit more fitted…

I’ve been looking at a Single Rider jacket or a 40s Single Sport jacket by The Flathead. Both patterns seem to be pretty simple and not too crazy… perhaps suitable for every day.

Thinking the best option would be the Single Rider in brown, if I can find it. Although so far all the size 42 appear sold out everywhere.

What say you lords of leather? Better choice?
My personal opinion, the Flat Head looks amazing provided it's a good fit. The measurements differ from typical brands, so I strongly suggest trying one on if you are able to. For me, it was a bit tight on the pits due to high arm hole, and slightly tight on the chest, I tried on the 42 with a 43.5" chest, still wearable but not the most comfortable out of the box, break in would have helped. The Rainbow Country jackets are also quite simple and cleanly designed, for example the Highwayman and the Avenue special model: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/fs-rainbow-country-single-sports-jacket-42.109430/

This one is basically a Hercules but with some details removed for a cleaner look.

By no means did I intend to disparage your original choice with my comments, it's all matter of opinion, I like slimmer fitting jackets personally so the Flat Head or Rainbow Country would be my preference. Within Real McCoys, the Buco J-100 is a very nice fitting jacket that I'm looking to purchase myself, it's very simple but it also has a motorcyclist design which you may not like as much. Modern "single rider" styles I would recommend for your tastes.

Let me know your thoughts on these models

Bender

One of the Regulars
My personal opinion, the Flat Head looks amazing provided it's a good fit. The measurements differ from typical brands, so I strongly suggest trying one on if you are able to. For me, it was a bit tight on the pits due to high arm hole, and slightly tight on the chest, I tried on the 42 with a 43.5" chest, still wearable but not the most comfortable out of the box, break in would have helped. The Rainbow Country jackets are also quite simple and cleanly designed, for example the Highwayman and the Avenue special model: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/fs-rainbow-country-single-sports-jacket-42.109430/

This one is basically a Hercules but with some details removed for a cleaner look.
Yes, I am just getting into some of the fit reviews now of the Flathead stuff. Appears it may be a bit tricky. I believe there is a store local to me with a jacket in my size… I’ll give it a shot. I was actually into that RMC J-100 as well. Very simple, and I don’t think too moto. It seems to drape like a regular jacket. However no hand warmer pockets are a dealbreaker. I need them and an inside pocket (preferably two inside pockets). That Rainbow Country jacket looks amazing! I’ll look into them.

By no means did I intend to disparage your original choice with my comments, it's all matter of opinion, I like slimmer fitting jackets personally so the Flat Head or Rainbow Country would be my preference. Within Real McCoys, the Buco J-100 is a very nice fitting jacket that I'm looking to purchase myself, it's very simple but it also has a motorcyclist design which you may not like as much. Modern "single rider" styles I would recommend for your tastes.

Let me know your thoughts on these models
Please, by all means, disparage away! When I first came to this site, I thought my redwings were the greatest thing ever. Thanks to some helpful disparaging, I’ve lived in Road Champs now for the last few years, and life is better, lol. I’m here to learn. Disparaging any of my misguided notions is very appreciated, as long as better options are provided. Cheers!

Jasonissm

Practically Family
=sports jacket

'Single riders' is a misleading term because it's not a riding jacket style.
I put it in quotations because of that haha. I just used it because I think single/double rider just seems to be the most used terminology within Japan so when searching these brands, it would be useful. There are brands like Real McCoys and Tenjin Works who use the term sports jacket though, also had some luck searching it on Mercari, but mostly only vintage jackets show up with that.

Please, by all means, disparage away! When I first came to this site, I thought my redwings were the greatest thing ever. Now I’ve lived in Road Champs for the last few years, and my life is better, lol. Disparaging any misguided notions is very appreciated, as long as better solutions are provided. Cheers!
I still like Red Wings, don't own any pairs but I'd like some of their more specialty models. Many of my favourite boots are based on vintage Red Wing boots. Road Champs are super awesome, they are re-releasing them next year, maybe I'll see if I can snag a pair

Also I'm of the opinion when you buy from a brand, you get their specialty or flagship and the further you stray from those, I find they are less refined in terms of design since they haven't gone through as many iterations and also they hold value worse in general.

Bender

One of the Regulars
I wonder if I got the last pair made, then.

Now looking at a deerskin jacket by The Flathead, a rider jacket with stand collar. Anybody have experience with The Flathead's deerskin? Obviously not as rugged as horse, but pretty decent in terms of overall durability?..

Jasonissm

Practically Family
I wonder if I got the last pair made, then.

Now looking at a deerskin jacket by The Flathead, a rider jacket with stand collar. Anybody have experience with The Flathead's deerskin? Obviously not as rugged as horse, but pretty decent in terms of overall durability?..
No experience with owning one, but I felt the owner's wearing sample in the store (used for a few years I believe). It was probably about one of the softest things I have ever felt, it was mindblowing. I think literally no fabric, leather, any piece of clothing I have ever felt that soft. It was the one that really made me want a deerskin jacket from them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner