Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Real McCoy's Buco J-24 vs. J-24L

whorishconsumer

Familiar Face
Has anyone here handled the Real McCoy's Buco J-24 AND the J-24L and can speak to size differences, other than length? Online resources suggest there may be some differences in the body and shoulder, but I'd like to confirm.

Thanks.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Has anyone here handled the Real McCoy's Buco J-24 AND the J-24L and can speak to size differences, other than length? Online resources suggest there may be some differences in the body and shoulder, but I'd like to confirm.

Thanks.
There are differences but they are not huge. The differences are not vital unless you are looking for a tight fit but are in between sizes.
I tried on my fd's size 38 J-24L before I bought my size 38 J-24. Both fit about the same at the time except of course the length.

Last edited:

Ralph Chen

Familiar Face
i have the j-24L , j-24L is longer with a nice alpaca collar but i preferred j-24’s diamond zipper. the size is pretty much the same. j-82 padded ( kind of like j-24 ) is like one size smaller cuz of the pad . hope that help …cheers mate

Ralph Chen

Familiar Face
93FC8806-C51C-434A-8739-B38B91B5E53F.jpeg

ralanis2

One of the Regulars
This is an interesting question, I personally have the regular J24 in size 40, normally a size 38-36 in everything else. I did see some differences in the sizing charts on Standard and Strange. The size 40 j24 had a shoulder to shoulder measurement of 17.5 , while the J24L in the same size had a shoulder to shoulder measurement of 16.5. It might be a typo but i will compare the two as i just purchased a J24L, just waiting on delivery.

whorishconsumer

Familiar Face
I have this from Gen at Standard & Strange:

"Here are the main differences between the J-24 and J-24L:

J-24:
  • Runs small
  • Standard shoulder width
  • Diamond zipper pulls
  • No back yoke
  • Shorter back length / square kidney panel
  • Not compatible with mouton collar option
  • Shorter sleeve length
J-24L:
  • Runs true to size
  • Narrow shoulder width
  • Standard pull
  • Western back yoke
  • Longer back length / rounded kidney panel
  • Removable mouton collar option
  • Longer sleeve
Now from personal experience with handling both of these jackets, I can honestly say that the difference in body and sleeve length should not be something to be fixed on since once jacket runs smaller and therefore requiring a size up resulting in pretty much the same body and sleeve length, if not marginal difference. With that said, this info will soon be obsolete as the fleet of J-24's that we are expecting to receive this Fall/Winter will be a newer edition of this model as the fit will be completely different with slight tweaks to aesthetic detail.

It isn't in our grand designs to restock the J-24L in the near future as The Real McCoy's will not be producing this model this year, best guess is POSSIBLY Fall/Winter '22. This is because the new edition of the J-24 will now be compatible with a removable mouton collar option that will be sold separately. We're currently sold out of the older edition J-24 and I'd typically offer for us to special order but they have discontinued this edition."

He noted the new J-24 is expected to be larger than the current and "closer to the original".

ralanis2

One of the Regulars
I have this from Gen at Standard & Strange:

"Here are the main differences between the J-24 and J-24L:

J-24:
  • Runs small
  • Standard shoulder width
  • Diamond zipper pulls
  • No back yoke
  • Shorter back length / square kidney panel
  • Not compatible with mouton collar option
  • Shorter sleeve length
J-24L:
  • Runs true to size
  • Narrow shoulder width
  • Standard pull
  • Western back yoke
  • Longer back length / rounded kidney panel
  • Removable mouton collar option
  • Longer sleeve
Now from personal experience with handling both of these jackets, I can honestly say that the difference in body and sleeve length should not be something to be fixed on since once jacket runs smaller and therefore requiring a size up resulting in pretty much the same body and sleeve length, if not marginal difference. With that said, this info will soon be obsolete as the fleet of J-24's that we are expecting to receive this Fall/Winter will be a newer edition of this model as the fit will be completely different with slight tweaks to aesthetic detail.

It isn't in our grand designs to restock the J-24L in the near future as The Real McCoy's will not be producing this model this year, best guess is POSSIBLY Fall/Winter '22. This is because the new edition of the J-24 will now be compatible with a removable mouton collar option that will be sold separately. We're currently sold out of the older edition J-24 and I'd typically offer for us to special order but they have discontinued this edition."

He noted the new J-24 is expected to be larger than the current and "closer to the original".

Thank you for sharing!!! I was honestly worried about the sizing on the J24L. I thought the sizing on the regular j24 was a little too big for my liking hoping that the L would fit closer to the body. thank you for clearing it up! Now if anyone has a J24 in size 38 and would like to trade for a 40, let me know!

whorishconsumer

Familiar Face
As an update to this, the new J-24 has started to roll out to Japanese shops and (I believe) will be up at Standard & Strange Monday. You can see the measurements at Real McCoy's Nagoya: https://www.realmccoys-nagoya.co.jp/?pid=162586532

In addition to it now supporting the option for a mouton collar (sold separately), they broadened the chest, kept the shoulder, sleeves and waist about the same and changed the front-back tilt, taking up the back length and adding to the front length.

162586532_o2.jpg

CityHunter

New in Town
Resurrecting this thread...I recently purchased the J-24L in a size 44. Weirdly, I naturally assumed I needed a 46 but the 44 fit spot on (well...I can't zip it up comfortably but I would only wear it open anyway. Everything else is comfortable). Some time back I tried to put on the size 44 in the old version of the regular J-24, and couldn't even get it on.

That said, some of the comments mentioning that the size difference between the J-24 (old) and J-24L are negligible seems weird to me...personally I think the J-24L is noticeably larger than the regular J-24. Does any one else feel the same way?

Side note, I tried on the size 46 in the NEW regular J-24 and thought it was too baggy

Brandrea33

One Too Many
My two cents … ask them to put a tape to the jacket to confirm the measurements. In my very limited experience the sizes that are published vary greatly from the actual jacket (at least this was the case with the few Japanese jackets that I’ve bought and returned in the last year.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Resurrecting this thread...I recently purchased the J-24L in a size 44. Weirdly, I naturally assumed I needed a 46 but the 44 fit spot on (well...I can't zip it up comfortably but I would only wear it open anyway. Everything else is comfortable). Some time back I tried to put on the size 44 in the old version of the regular J-24, and couldn't even get it on.

That said, some of the comments mentioning that the size difference between the J-24 (old) and J-24L are negligible seems weird to me...personally I think the J-24L is noticeably larger than the regular J-24. Does any one else feel the same way?

Side note, I tried on the size 46 in the NEW regular J-24 and thought it was too baggy
There are many versions of the J-24 and J-24L. The new addition (I don't think it is a replacement) has bigger armhole, wider chest.
The J-24 I have is an older version than the one many here are familiar with. That one has a green quilted lining and different measurements from the black quilted one that came in around 2014. I bought mine after trying on my fd's size 38 J-24L back then, hence my comment. For some reasons, I completely forgot about the change when I wrote my comment here. You can see that I said I would probably need a size 40 in the "new" black quilted J-24 in my old thread.
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/real-mccoys-buco-j-24.78158/

gily

A-List Customer
I put the measurements on a j24 (old version I bought on S&S back in 2020 or 2019) in size 46 vs a J-24L I just bought in size 44, they are about the same size with the exception of the length (1.5" longer on the J-24L)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana