Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Real McCoys G-1 Fit Check

Dracorex

Familiar Face
It's funny how people see things so differently. I think this is one of the best looking, best fitting G-1's I've ever seen. I would be absolutely ecstatic with the fit of this jacket. Too me, it fits practically perfect in every way plus it's a beautiful jacket. Do Not Get RID OF THIS JACKET!

I think that one thing the G-1 isn't good at is looking good unzipped. I think those last pics show a better overall fit for sure, but unzipped, the G-1 to me is unappealing. I say that as every time I think I can wear mine when it's warm out, I unzip it and it looks crappy, whereas my other jackets look good either way.
I'd still love some shots of the front zipped in good light. Get yer woman to put this one to rest for good. ;)

theundeadkennedy

One of the Regulars
Thanks guys! She'll be happy to know how much everyone digs the jacket. She definitely put in some work sorting through my notes and pictures figuring everything out. She even had to sign up for a proxy shipping service that I had saved. I really do appreciate all she's done.

Butte- we didn't get around to taking those pictures yesterday and now I'll be traveling for work for the next two weeks. I promise to get some shots once I get back home though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

South9407

New in Town
Congrats on Fatherhood! As I have seen in some other replies, it starts and stops with personal preference. I am a AN6552, M422A and G-1 guy. None of mine are repros, as I have opted for all originals and the MIL-SPEC fit that accompanies them. I did however own an AERO Beacon, NY horsehide A-2 for a while. I was not happy with the shorter length of the jacket because it would ride up all the time and I was continuously pulling it down.
The length of my H&L Block M422A is similar to the length of your G-1. Some of the other ones I have vary just a little. But that could be due to the fact that they range in sizes 38R up to 44R. In my opinion, both of your jackets look great and fall where they should. I am happy with the fit of all my jackets for that matter alone and that is MY personal preference. You, feeling that your G-1 is too long is totally up to you. I would however search for some remedies that you could do at home before you go to the trouble of altering the jacket. I have read on the AREO site, some of their tips for breaking in their own line of jackets that might be helpful to you. You might find out that soaking it in your tub over night, then letting it air dry out side may do the trick in shrinking the goat hide a bit. This method can be useful but I do suggest a good application of Pecard's Leather Dressing after it is fully dry.
Good Luck and congrats again on the birth of your baby and your new G-1!
Glenn

theundeadkennedy

One of the Regulars
Congrats on Fatherhood! As I have seen in some other replies, it starts and stops with personal preference. I am a AN6552, M422A and G-1 guy. None of mine are repros, as I have opted for all originals and the MIL-SPEC fit that accompanies them. I did however own an AERO Beacon, NY horsehide A-2 for a while. I was not happy with the shorter length of the jacket because it would ride up all the time and I was continuously pulling it down.
The length of my H&L Block M422A is similar to the length of your G-1. Some of the other ones I have vary just a little. But that could be due to the fact that they range in sizes 38R up to 44R. In my opinion, both of your jackets look great and fall where they should. I am happy with the fit of all my jackets for that matter alone and that is MY personal preference. You, feeling that your G-1 is too long is totally up to you. I would however search for some remedies that you could do at home before you go to the trouble of altering the jacket. I have read on the AREO site, some of their tips for breaking in their own line of jackets that might be helpful to you. You might find out that soaking it in your tub over night, then letting it air dry out side may do the trick in shrinking the goat hide a bit. This method can be useful but I do suggest a good application of Pecard's Leather Dressing after it is fully dry.
Good Luck and congrats again on the birth of your baby and your new G-1!
Glenn

Thank you very much! It has been by far the most rewarding experience in my life.

I may try the bathtub soak at some point if it's still bothering me after some wear. I don't want to see any shrinking in the upper areas and have thought about just dipping the lower half into the tub. If I end up doing it I will use Obenauf's for treatment after. I forgot to mention this before, but the jacket was actually lighter in color than most of the pictures online show it. Most pictures I had found, the jacket looked to be very dark seal, but it was actually more just darkish brown in real life. One of the Real McCoy blogs captured the color correctly, but the online stores and most of their other blogs did not. After much deliberation I did a test application of Obenauf's inside the jacket to see if I could get it to darken up to the Dark Seal color I really loved. After letting it sit for a week, I was extremely satisfied with the results and did the whole jacket.

0b1274b8e0da9461d9973cfc666a8fef.jpg

That is a picture from one of their blogs and is the best representation of the original color of the jacket.

This next one is from another one of their blogs and is how the jacket looked on their online stores.

44c2e2e5f35fb9e556fbb1914a74b5d1.jpg

I think the jacket is a dead ringer for the second picture since I have treated it with Obenauf's. I was stressed out prior to doing the test, but after I couldn't have been happier.

RJR

Thank you very much! It has been by far the most rewarding experience in my life.

I may try the bathtub soak at some point if it's still bothering me after some wear. I don't want to see any shrinking in the upper areas and have thought about just dipping the lower half into the tub. If I end up doing it I will use Obenauf's for treatment after. I forgot to mention this before, but the jacket was actually lighter in color than most of the pictures online show it. Most pictures I had found, the jacket looked to be very dark seal, but it was actually more just darkish brown in real life. One of the Real McCoy blogs captured the color correctly, but the online stores and most of their other blogs did not. After much deliberation I did a test application of Obenauf's inside the jacket to see if I could get it to darken up to the Dark Seal color I really loved. After letting it sit for a week, I was extremely satisfied with the results and did the whole jacket.

0b1274b8e0da9461d9973cfc666a8fef.jpg

That is a picture from one of their blogs and is the best representation of the original color of the jacket.

This next one is from another one of their blogs and is how the jacket looked on their online stores.

44c2e2e5f35fb9e556fbb1914a74b5d1.jpg

I think the jacket is a dead ringer for the second picture since I have treated it with Obenauf's. I was stressed out prior to doing the test, but after I couldn't have been happier.

I like the color and the fit seems spot on.

theundeadkennedy

One of the Regulars
Hey Guys,

I was hoping to get some opinions on the fit of my Real McCoys 55J14 that my wife got me for my first Father's Day. She knew I've been wanting a G-1 for awhile now and she went digging through my jacket folders on my laptop to pick one for me. She went big on this one.

I had actually been planning on working with Steve S on a build prior to receiving this, but had decided to wait until I had a more comfortable financial buffer prior to any new projects because of the baby. After waiting and then realizing what my wife paid for this I actually had a seriously good laugh.

Now having handled an RMJ jacket for the first time, I understand the hype. I never really paid much attention to stitching and all the other smaller details until now. But it's hard not to appreciate the precision in craftsmanship that it took to produce a jacket that somehow seems easier to compare to a Swiss watch than to the other leathers in my collection. If I end up moving this jacket on, whatever jacket I end up getting to replace it will have a seriously hard time stacking up.

However, I knew from the first time I put it on that it was too long. It's also tight across the back and pulls the gussets out just while standing. I quickly came to peace with the width problem, figuring I would see some stretch with wear. I thought I had accepted its length as well. It's too hot to wear the jacket right now, but I've been trying it on about once a week since I got it and my doubts have been growing. I'm not worried about sleeve length, because with how narrow they are, I should see some nice tunneling. But I can't imagine I'll see the torso ride up much due to wear.

It's a size 44. The back and sleeve lengths are about 27" each and the pit to pit is about 22". Reliable measurements were hard to come by online for any size over 42, but I did find some that were close to what the jacket is. The biggest difference is the chest width, which was supposed to be closer to 23".

My wife and brother think the length is fine and I really want to believe them. I have owned some nice jackets, many custom made, and this was immediately my favorite.

To be clear, I am less much less concerned about historically accurate lengths and more concerned with general well fitting jacket lengths. I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts guys.

3f6f8f21159405406deaa10fdf9be5d8.jpg

104e435c15d8f208ead244c7657dce67.jpg

972a38e9256ea0785d0fac6a50d40f36.jpg

e30bbc0bf1f868020c789536abba6a11.jpg

For comparison, here is a picture of my Aero 1930's Half Belt:
187b812c2598f251010cc1f1a52ff3fa.jpg

edd5b37bc7aba0e5ae3a94f65a03a59f.jpg

adb2217f1287c272d93d89900d426f01.jpg

Both jackets are more snug than they would normally be around the midsection. I'm currently about halfway done taking off the 30 pounds I put on while my wife was pregnant. I almost exclusively hold my excess body fat in my torso.

I know some people were fans of the Aero, so I figured I’d follow this topic up and let people know that it is in classifieds [emoji868]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

theundeadkennedy

One of the Regulars
did you sell the G-1?

I have not sold the G-1. I’ve been thinking about it though. But I would actually get more use out of that one when we move to California next year. Fall and spring are very short seasons where I live and it hasn’t seen very much wear. That and I still feel it’s long for my body.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Must admit that I like my G-1's on the shorter side, but then again other Folk prefer theirs longer..it's what works for you. Most of my jackets are on the short end of their fit spectrum.

I purchased a Hartmann (ELC) a few months ago that looks longer on me than they were generally worn & I usually wear. It bothered me at first, however after some positive comments & the realisation that I'm not 25 any more (double it) the Hartmann is now a 'go to'.

However, I owned a Buzz L-2A that got moved last year when I finally accepted that despite loving the look of it, I never wore it because it felt too long on & that perception didn't change. It was always passed over in favour of a shorter fit nylon Flight Jacket.

I had loads of jackets, sold most over the last two years apart from the regularly worn keepers. Invested the money in more keepers & now rarely buy any because I'm too busy enjoying the ones I now have :)

theundeadkennedy

One of the Regulars
Thank you for sharing your experience on the matter. It may have an opportunity to grow on me when we move to down to Sacramento and I see more intermediate weather [emoji3]

eptggkod

New in Town
Thank you for sharing your experience on the matter. It may have an opportunity to grow on me when we move to down to Sacramento and I see more intermediate weather
emoji3.png

I've been lurking here cooking a ham and checking out the forum. I've gone through about 50 pages- the "What jacket are you wearing today?" pages and a few others. I have to tell you that your RM G-1 fits perfectly - some 55j14s were short but most fit long like WW2 jackets. I have a big Star 44 55j14 and it fits the same. To be perfectly frank in all these pages this is the first jacket I've seen worn (barring a few originals and Goodwears) that looks correct- keep it! Because modern men are big most flight jackets don't have "the look" they seek- too tight or too big. Yours looks great IMO. Jeff

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Surprised to see an OP response on a thread this old. OP i'm not trying to get in your personal business, but when your wife goes through the trouble of getting you a jacket that nice, stowe the OCD and keep it forever. Any jacket is just a jacket. A good wife however....

theundeadkennedy

One of the Regulars
Sorry for the later replies. Been away from home more lately for my job, so I've been unplugged when I am home and haven't checked back in here.

I've been lurking here cooking a ham and checking out the forum. I've gone through about 50 pages- the "What jacket are you wearing today?" pages and a few others. I have to tell you that your RM G-1 fits perfectly - some 55j14s were short but most fit long like WW2 jackets. I have a big Star 44 55j14 and it fits the same. To be perfectly frank in all these pages this is the first jacket I've seen worn (barring a few originals and Goodwears) that looks correct- keep it! Because modern men are big most flight jackets don't have "the look" they seek- too tight or too big. Yours looks great IMO. Jeff

Thank you for the compliments. When I do wear it it is usually with a shirt that can be left untucked, like a sweater or polo, and that does seem to help with the problem I have with the length. I'm probably going to bring it down with us to Northern California next week and see how it manages in that weather and try and figure out if maybe I'll wear it more it that weather than in Alaska.

Surprised to see an OP response on a thread this old. OP i'm not trying to get in your personal business, but when your wife goes through the trouble of getting you a jacket that nice, stowe the OCD and keep it forever. Any jacket is just a jacket. A good wife however....
Thank you for the advice!

theundeadkennedy

One of the Regulars
So I'm selling off this jacket against many member's better judgement. It was actually my wife's suggestion to sell it, so I feel a whole lot better about it. She and I would both rather use the funds to help with start up and moving costs for a business that I am going into with my brother down in California. I've created a listing in the classifieds section. Thanks for looking!

Dracorex

Familiar Face
So I'm selling off this jacket against many member's better judgement. It was actually my wife's suggestion to sell it, so I feel a whole lot better about it. She and I would both rather use the funds to help with start up and moving costs for a business that I am going into with my brother down in California. I've created a listing in the classifieds section. Thanks for looking!
I still think this is one of the best fitting jackets I've seen on the forum. If it fit me the way it fit you I'd be extremely happy with it. Unfortunately it's not my size but if it was, I'd seriously consider buying it.

theundeadkennedy

One of the Regulars
I still think this is one of the best fitting jackets I've seen on the forum. If it fit me the way it fit you I'd be extremely happy with it. Unfortunately it's not my size but if it was, I'd seriously consider buying it.
Thank you for the kind words. Should it not find a good home, I'm sure I'll take another crack at it when the weather is a bit warmer. But if if things keep progressing with my brother and I's business, I'll be flush with mid weight jackets that need wearing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ