Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Real McCoys G-1 Fit Check

theundeadkennedy

One of the Regulars
Hey Guys,

I was hoping to get some opinions on the fit of my Real McCoys 55J14 that my wife got me for my first Father's Day. She knew I've been wanting a G-1 for awhile now and she went digging through my jacket folders on my laptop to pick one for me. She went big on this one.

I had actually been planning on working with Steve S on a build prior to receiving this, but had decided to wait until I had a more comfortable financial buffer prior to any new projects because of the baby. After waiting and then realizing what my wife paid for this I actually had a seriously good laugh.

Now having handled an RMJ jacket for the first time, I understand the hype. I never really paid much attention to stitching and all the other smaller details until now. But it's hard not to appreciate the precision in craftsmanship that it took to produce a jacket that somehow seems easier to compare to a Swiss watch than to the other leathers in my collection. If I end up moving this jacket on, whatever jacket I end up getting to replace it will have a seriously hard time stacking up.

However, I knew from the first time I put it on that it was too long. It's also tight across the back and pulls the gussets out just while standing. I quickly came to peace with the width problem, figuring I would see some stretch with wear. I thought I had accepted its length as well. It's too hot to wear the jacket right now, but I've been trying it on about once a week since I got it and my doubts have been growing. I'm not worried about sleeve length, because with how narrow they are, I should see some nice tunneling. But I can't imagine I'll see the torso ride up much due to wear.

It's a size 44. The back and sleeve lengths are about 27" each and the pit to pit is about 22". Reliable measurements were hard to come by online for any size over 42, but I did find some that were close to what the jacket is. The biggest difference is the chest width, which was supposed to be closer to 23".

My wife and brother think the length is fine and I really want to believe them. I have owned some nice jackets, many custom made, and this was immediately my favorite.

To be clear, I am less much less concerned about historically accurate lengths and more concerned with general well fitting jacket lengths. I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts guys.

3f6f8f21159405406deaa10fdf9be5d8.jpg

104e435c15d8f208ead244c7657dce67.jpg

972a38e9256ea0785d0fac6a50d40f36.jpg

e30bbc0bf1f868020c789536abba6a11.jpg

For comparison, here is a picture of my Aero 1930's Half Belt:
187b812c2598f251010cc1f1a52ff3fa.jpg

edd5b37bc7aba0e5ae3a94f65a03a59f.jpg

adb2217f1287c272d93d89900d426f01.jpg

Both jackets are more snug than they would normally be around the midsection. I'm currently about halfway done taking off the 30 pounds I put on while my wife was pregnant. I almost exclusively hold my excess body fat in my torso.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

robrinay

One Too Many
Fit is a personal taste issue. My experience is that those who are uncertain about fit and ask for opinions will get a spectrum of opinions from - 'perfect' to too tight too long 'good fit for a flight jacket - they were designed snug for tight cockpits etc.etc. etc.
The fact that you're asking probably means that whatever reassurances you receive here the issues you've mentioned will play on your mind and you'll never be completely happy with the fit. Fwiw I have lots of jackets that vary in fit from snug to loose fitting for layering and I'm happy with all of them. All that aside - they both look good to me!

First off, congratulations on becoming a dad, it's not always an easy job but it's the best job ever. Second, congrats on having a wife that will buy you a jacket, I've heard of these mystical creatures but for damn sure didn't marry one. Third, both jackets look great man. It certainly doesn't look like you need to shed any lbs. and the lengths on both look perfect to me.

Brettafett

One Too Many
I dunno, looks fine to me. I get what you are saying though, but its funny. For me, when it comes to me finally getting a G-1 or M-422a, I will want it to fit exactly like yours... I hate it when the jacket is on the shorter side and rides up the back. You could wet the leather body of the jacket (or just the back) and then creases it up a bit, should knock if 0.5 to 1 inches... Doesn't need to be hot water... Then just wear it. Imagine going to the trouble of getting a shorter one and then its too short.
Gotta go with comfort. WW2 pics show sizing all over the place, the tight, trim look came from the 80's ;)

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I agree with all the previous posts, yes it might be a bit long, but not so much as to look wrong.
I would give it a chance to break in and see how you feel after wearing it for a while.

theundeadkennedy

One of the Regulars
Thanks for all the very supportive words gentlemen. It does make me feel better about the situation. When it cools down enough that I will actually be able to wear it, I think I will give it an actual chance before deciding to move it on.

First off, congratulations on becoming a dad, it's not always an easy job but it's the best job ever. Second, congrats on having a wife that will buy you a jacket, I've heard of these mystical creatures but for damn sure didn't marry one. Third, both jackets look great man. It certainly doesn't look like you need to shed any lbs. and the lengths on both look perfect to me.

Thank you, it's been an awesome experience so far. The little man is awesome. It was an excellent gift and I am very appreciative of my wife for doing that, but I'm not sure it will become a regular thing, I think she may have felt a little added pressure after the bounty she claimed her first Mother's Day.

And thank you for the kind words on the weight gain. i know I'm not overweight or anything, but I like to be at around 175. I live in Alaska and usually wear at least a thin sweater 8 months of the year, at the 190 I'm at now, it's a tight fit in most of my nicer jackets if i zip them up.

Thanks again guys!

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I found this description on the web that suggests maybe its supposed to be slightly longer fitting in the torso....

"The U.S. Navy started making the G-1 leather jacket (originally known as the M-445 flight jacket) during the Second World War. The jacket was form-fitted with a longer waist webbing at the bottom."

theundeadkennedy

One of the Regulars
I'm thinking they may have meant that the style of jacket had longer waist ribbing than previous flight jackets.

But based off of pictures of A-2s I've seen online, I believe that RMJ may make most of their flight jackets longer than what is typical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, I'll be the contrarian here. For me, the G-1 does look too long. The other is perfect.
A G-1 styled jacket for me should be on the shorter side, so I do agree with you that the whole "look" is not how "I" would want it.
It does fit well, but the style to me calls for a shorter jacket. I know that makes it harder, but that's my take - I didn't read your text until now after seeing the pics yesterday...that was my first thoughts, and I think that you may be right. 2¢

nick123

I'll Lock Up
As much as I want to say "sell it to me if you decide to part with it", as the measurements check all of my boxes, keep in mind your jacket is already special and holds immense value that can't be priced. A kind gift from the wife at a special time in your life. I'd hang onto it, shorten it if you must. You can't replace things like that!

theundeadkennedy

One of the Regulars
OK, I'll be the contrarian here. For me, the G-1 does look too long. The other is perfect.
A G-1 styled jacket for me should be on the shorter side, so I do agree with you that the whole "look" is not how "I" would want it.
It does fit well, but the style to me calls for a shorter jacket. I know that makes it harder, but that's my take - I didn't read your text until now after seeing the pics yesterday...that was my first thoughts, and I think that you may be right. 2¢

I was hoping to hear your input on this Butte. You've always had good advice when it comes to flight jackets and I will definitely take what you've said into consideration. Do you think shortening the jacket is a viable option as Nick suggested?

As much as I want to say "sell it to me if you decide to part with it", as the measurements check all of my boxes, keep in mind your jacket is already special and holds immense value that can't be priced. A kind gift from the wife at a special time in your life. I'd hang onto it, shorten it if you must. You can't replace things like that!

It was a very kind gift and I totally hear what your saying. I do however think my wife would understand and would rather see me swap it than to see it sitting in the closet unused. Of course I could be wrong and she will kind of resentful about it for a long time. And yes, it does mark a time in my life I will always cherish and I that is a sentiment that will never carry with any replacement jacket. I do hope that my son will actually want some of my jackets when he is older and it would be nice to be able to hand this one onto him if he liked it. I still wear some of my father's and grandfather's stuff.

I have been thinking along the lines of options to shorten it as you've suggested. I'm thinking it could 3/4" to an 1" from the waist knits without completely sacrificing it's intended look. Shorten the leather pieces that run the length of the knits and either shorten the wind flap or move it up, probably move it up. I thought about whether it would be doable to shorten the leather above the knits, but wonder about the stitch holes from moving the pockets up.

Hey buddy, I've not had any experience with that sort of surgery, and I'm not sure I'd opt for that route to be honest.
If your wife is cool, then I'd likely go for a shorter jacket.
I'd be more worried having it shopped and sewn personally. Good luck - I see you can still wear a jacket up there but I'd opt to get 'er replaced.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My wife paid for my Teamster for my 40th birthday, which turned out to be too big. It was her idea to sell it to fund my Hercules. She wanted me to have a jacket that I got a lot of wear out of so now we basically just say that she got me the Herc for my 40th.... But my wife is pretty cool like that [emoji6]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner