Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reblocking a Wool Felt Outback Hat

Swamp_Fox

New in Town
I'm new here and I'm looking forward to being a part of this great community!

I have a few questions about reblocking a hat.

I have a Stetson outback hat which was marketed by Cabelas as "la Mesa" (mine is marked "Stallion" for some reason). It's made of a stiff wool felt.

I've been wearing it for a couple of years now, and it's beginning to look a little ragged. I was wondering if it is possible to have it reblocked. I know that it's common to have fur felt hats reblocked, but I haven't heard of it being done with a less resilient wool felt hat.

Is it possible to have a wool felt hat effectively reblocked?

If so, how much should I expect to pay?

Finally, do you think my money would be better spent by investing in a nicer quality fur felt hat (Akubra perhaps) rather than putting money into the wool Stetson?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Unless you find a hobbiest willing to do you a favor and just wants some practice reblocking, it will cost you more than the hat is worth. Remember, most of the time you have to send it out, which means shipping costs as well. Invest a little more money in a fur felt hat, you be happier in the long run.

fedoralover .

leo

One of the Regulars
Your "Indiana/Kentucky" location may be close to Cincinnati. In that case, you could stop into one of the best hat shops in the country, Batsakes at 6th & Vine in downtown Cincy (described in other FL threads). It's been a few years since I had a hat reblocked there, but I don't recall it being very expensive.

But I do agree with Indycop that an inexpensive wool hat may not be worth it or even doable.

Bill

welcome to the lounge

Guss Miller @ Batesakes is a great guy, but he would probably steer you in the direction of a new hat.

if you go to everything austalian or Hats Direct, you'll be able to get a good fur felt hat (lots of styles) shipped for less than $100.

take the time to search the site, there's more information and pic of hats than anyone will ever need.

Also, you might want to try vintage shops to see if they have an old fur felt you can pickup. they usually go for $5 - $50 and are usually wearable.

Rob

Swamp_Fox

New in Town
Thanks for the replies!

I'm a couple hours away from Cincinnati, so I might check out that hat shop some day. It's at least good to know of one within driving distance if I decide I need it.

However, I think I'm going to invest in a fur felt hat rather than messing with the Stetson. It's a decent hat but I think in the long run, I'd be better off getting a nicer one.

I'm a poor grad student, so I can't afford a new hat; but I've been cruising eBay for deals on vintage hats. I also keep my eyes open at flea markets, thrift stores and the like, but I haven't gotten lucky yet.

I'm interested in Akubras because of their reputation for durability and their provision for easily attaching a chin strap. The Stockman or perhaps the Boomerang would fit my needs, so I've been watching for one of those.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
If you eventually decide to spring for a new Akubra, these guys will likely have the best price and cheapest shipping:

http://www.everythingaustralian.com.au/displayproduct.asp?id=2&cat=Akubra

They don't keep every style and color in stock (HatsDirect keeps more in stock, but their prices/shipping are considerably higher), but they do often have more on hand than their site idicates - it's worth sending them an email to ask.

My Stockman in Glen Grey (a great hat!):
STOCKMN1.JPG

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
If you get a new hat, you can experiment on your old wool felt hat. Many of us learned on wool hats. Wash it in a sink full of cold water with mild detergent. Dunk it completely, let it soak for 30 to 60 minutes, turning it every few minutes. Don't wad it up, or wring it out. After a gentle wash, soak it in a cold water rinse, for 15 to 30 minutes. Do a second rinse with fresh water. Shape the hat the way you want it, and hang it on the long neck of the kitchen faucet to drip dry. Make sure the hat is in the shape you want. After about an hour, try it on, to make sure of the shape. It will still be damp, the next day. Wear it several times for a few minutes, while it is still drying. By the following day, it should be dry. If you are heading out, on a warm day, you can wear it damp. It will keep you cool, as it dries. Whatever shape the hat dries in, is the shape it will hold.

(Warning: This can lead to a very addictive do it yourself hobby!) :)

Swamp_Fox

New in Town
I've got another question. Maybe I should start another thread, but I'll try here first.

I've heard that Akubras run a little large, but then shrink some as they wear. Is that generally true?

A 7 1/8 is a little tight on me unless my hair is really short, so I wear a 7 1/4 and size it down by putting felt strips behind the sweatband.

Will a 7 1/4 Akubra be too big for me? If I were to order one, should I get a 7 1/8 or a 7 1/4?

I wouldn't want a 7 1/8 to shrink and be unwearable, but it would be annoying to have to wear a hat that's way to big and wait for it to shrink enough to fit properly.

If it helps, my head circumference is about 22 1/2.

Thanks.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Check out any of the existing 200 Akubra threads, nearly all of which discuss the various colors, brim widths, crown heights, vendors, and sizing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80