Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recently discovered Russian war movies

Hercule

Practically Family
I recently discovered and have been enjoying full length Russian war movies and series on YouTube. They, like the French, do a great job with period pictures. I prefer the ones with subtitles over the dubbed ones. I've found them very engaging and the acting very good. I'm sure faults can be found with the costumes and accoutrements, and that there is a bias to them, but I just take them as they are and have found them quite entertaining. Thus far I've enjoyed "The Star" and "Staying Alive" (TV mini series). I've seen a bit of "Enemy Wings" and "Spies must die. Snake in the grass." I'm sure at some point I'll branch out to non WWII themed shows. These are well worth looking into in my opinion.

steve u

A-List Customer
Try this on for size...Stalingrad (Russian: Сталинград) is a 2013 Russian war film directed by Fedor Bondarchuk

steve u

A-List Customer
I read in a Akira Kurosawa bio that He was influenced by Russian film, That's what drew me to this region of films.
I really enjoyed Stalingrad , very graphic and fast paced.

basbol13

A-List Customer
The Dawns are Quiet
The 9th Company this film is interesting as it deals with Russian Spetznaz in Afghanistan, the 9th Company were the last Russian Troops to leave the country.

steve u

A-List Customer
Here's a very good movie that Mosfilm down loaded a couple week ago.

Dersu Uzala,​

Based on the work of the scientist and writer, famous traveler and explorer of the Far East V. Arseniev. The story of his friendship with the guide Dersu Uzala with extraordinary personal qualities. Their journey through the taiga-forest, full of dangerous adventures, is the plot of the film, but the meaning of the story goes far beyond the plot: it's a story about the brotherhood of people, that we are all children of the same land. Year of production: 1975 Directed by: Kurosawa Akira

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk