Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recomendations for buff waistcoat

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I am looking for a new waistcoat for my morning dress. I live in a warm climate, so I am thinking about replacing my gray wool vest, with a linen buff colored one. In particular a backless one. Any thoughts or recomendations?

Follow up question: what wedding tie for black morning coat, gray-black stripped morning dress trousers, and a buff waistcoat. Differences for buff vs. gray waistcoat for tie selection?

Thanks

Suitable

New in Town
I'm happy with my buff linen waistcoat from the British firm Pakeman Catto & Carter. It has a full back (bottle green), but it is very light. Great with morning dress (I wear it with exactly the outfit that you described), but definitely not cheap.

You have a lot of flexibility about your tie. With a grey waistcoat I might wear a grey or silver tie in some sort of check. With a buff waistcoat, I favour something bolder, though not so garish as to draw attention to itself against the sedate backdrop of morning dress.

Prof Branestawm

Familiar Face
I second the recommendation for Pakeman's offering; the waistcoat is a bit expensive, but it was the most reasonably priced buff linen affair I came across when buying morning dress for my wedding.

Its green back doesn't seem to make wearing morning dress noticeably warmer than it would be with a backless waistcoat. That said, I would baulk at wearing any form of morning dress in Hawaii.

in re: ties, I wore a loosely woven (almost knitted) silver grey tie with white polka-dots with this waistcoat. This was quite understated and worked rather well.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Thanks guys. They have very nice waistcoats. I think the standard single breasted, with notched lapels is the one I'll go for. We the outfit is together I'll post pictures.

For black tail coat, buff waistcoat and grey stripped trousers, would a green or a red tie work better?

I have to admit I do not yet have a more traditional grey wedding tie.

I have a couple of weddings in May so I have some time to re-assemble my wardrobe.

Prof Branestawm

Familiar Face
I don't know what size you take, but there is a Pakeman's waistcoat (size 44 chest) on UK ebay at the moment.

I would have thought a dark red would work quite well with the buff waistcoat and morning coat; green might seem a bit 1) over co-ordinated with the backing and 2) clashing with the buff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats