Recommendation on Leather Jacket (Diamond Dave vs Aero)

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Brian Choi, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Boyo

Boyo One Too Many

2. KissMyMuscle

KissMyMuscle One of the Regulars

Do they ask you to bring the horween leather?

I saw they are selling cowhide Mi500 for 850, which seems the only cross zip they are selling on the website.

I heard they do custom made jacket, but that doesn't sound very cheap. Do you know how much will they charge for a horween custom jacket?

3. JMax

JMax My Mail is Forwarded Here

They will build pretty much any jacket you want. Made to measure.

I would follow them on IG, beautiful and amazing builds. The website is not the greatest.

I contacted them about a CHP jacket they recently posted on IG. Total custom. Horween. Around $950 (maybe less for cowhide...or was it more for horse?). That’s the ballpark though.

roadking04 likes this.
  4. KissMyMuscle

KissMyMuscle One of the Regulars

Thanks Jmax, I have only heard great things about Johnson lesthers here just like Lost World.

950 for the horween chp seems a fair deal to me.

Have you owned any Johnson leathers before? How's the quality and pattrrn compare to your chopper or even LW?

5. JMax

JMax My Mail is Forwarded Here

Tempted all the time, but then I get distracted by another jacket. One day it will happen.

They have replaced a main zipper and relined a jacket for me. Great work.

KissMyMuscle likes this.
  6. Hh121

Hh121 One Too Many

I heard things little different, the main thing stops me to order custom jacket from JL is the price, last time I checked with them the price is above LW J23.
    Apologize in advance if I provide incorrect information.

7. red devil

red devil Call Me a Cab

Best would be to contact them directly for a quote. In my dealings with them, they have been good value for what they offer. I have a second jacket coming from them. Will elt you know how that turns out

8. lina

lina Practically Family

Or you can find an original Buco for the same price or lower..

9. Will Zach

Will Zach Practically Family

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    marker2037 likes this.
  10. tmitchell59

tmitchell59 Call Me a Cab

One jacket I do miss.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Steerhide A2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    nick123, tropicalbob, Boyo and 4 others like this.
  11. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

DD said on the Other Place that he'd given up the game. I don't think anyone was *really* surprised, as his stuff was so hit-and-miss and the post-sale care pretty ropy at best. Personally, I was much more disappointed when Arial Star gave up, as they were pursuing something interesting, civvy A-2s, at a competitive price.

tropicalbob and nick123 like this.
  12. Bfd70

Bfd70 One Too Many

Can’t speak to his quality or service but that Buco is everything a mc jacket should be.

tmitchell59 likes this.
  13. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

Never owned or handled a DD so my comment is based solely on the others mentioned which I have handled (extensively) vs what I’ve merely seen from DD.
    TBH, they look a bit flat. Certainly not terrible but to my eye you can get the same level of product from say, Hercules leather company, for FAR less than DD will charge you and thus a much better value. Aero, LW and I’d even include Vanson look to be up the scale from DD in terms of quality, hide and build construction. Just my opinion, and as I said I’ve never handled a DD irl.

dudewuttheheck likes this.
  14. dudewuttheheck

dudewuttheheck Call Me a Cab

Having owned a DD myself, I definitely cannot recommend his jackets over Aero, which I also owned. Neither were perfect, but the Aero was definitely much better. RMC and Lost Worlds are also great options if you can afford them and I'd put both of them over Aero as well. Though if you want to stick with Aero, you'll probably be happy.

15. AeroFan_07

AeroFan_07 Call Me a Cab

I had one DD (J21 Style) that I passed along rather quickly. It was a very nice jacket and I saw no real issues with the finish or details. However it just would not work with my body type/size/propotions.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/diamond-dave-j21-buco-horsehide.96166/

If you are considering any type of custom jacket - DD, Aero, LW, Johnsons, I would encourage you to visit a good suit shop and be measured fully, take down everything the taylor meaures for you. Provide these to whoever you choose to go with. If going with Aero, I strongly reccommend visiting with Carrie at Thurston Brothers, she has a real knack for getting it right.

El Marro, Sloan1874 and Robbie79 like this.
  16. marker2037

marker2037 One of the Regulars

I think you're just seeing a fold covering the stitching here, not a defect. Just saying.

17. tropicalbob

tropicalbob My Mail is Forwarded Here

Has anyone here ordered a Hercules? They don't look bad at all, and it's nice to see somebody giving this a shot at an affordable price. If I could see one in the wild I might take a chance.

18. Will Zach

Will Zach Practically Family

I have one. Search the forum, there are several threads on them, with pics. Great value for the money. When you search, use keywords such as Hercules and Tony (founder), otherwise you will get a ton of vintage Sears Hercules hits.