Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

records.

renor27

One of the Regulars
I was cleaning out a storage locker and came across 10 apples boxes of old records. Now many or classical but one box was Jazz and Swing.
Am wondering if any one knows where I can get them (the Swing and Jazz records ) transferd to CD.
Know that the quality will in some cases be poor but would be fun to have to play @ work or in the truck just a good conversation starter.
Think I might frame some put them up in my cottage.
David
Reno Nv

rongoms

Familiar Face
I';ve done this twice and it can be an exercise in frustration, but it's definately possible.
basically, you can use your computer to be the "destination" device and use a program like CoolEdit 2000 (or the expensive Pro version). use the line-in function of your computer (better if you have a higher-end sound card like a Soundblaster Audigyor similar) and simply use the phonograph output into the line-in on the soundcard.

Then burn them to CD.

The biggest challenge will probably be removing the background noise. (needle scratching and such). Now, I like a little of this for a "vintage" sound, but there is generally so much of it, that you'll need a software solution to remove it as you record. This is where CoolEdit comes in. it has a Audio-Clean plug in that removes about 80% of the hiss and scratch.

The problem, of course, is that CoolEdit 2000 is no lovailable, only the Pro Version since the company was purchased by Adobe. You can occasionally find it on eBay or in used software stores.

i'm sure there are also other software packages that do the same thing...Audacity an Sound Forge (now owned by Sony) to name two.

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
renor27 said:
Am wondering if any one knows where I can get them (the Swing and Jazz records ) transferd to CD.
Hi David,

Wish I could offer you the service, but time is just so tight.

But I'm sure your best bet to find someone (if you don't want to do it yourself, and like rongoms said, it can be tiresome) is you should post your request to the following public internet newsgroup of hobbyists (available through Google if you don't access them directly through your ISP) called "rec.antiques.radio+phono":

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.antiques.radio+phono/topics

At the bottom is a button to post your request. If you don't have a google account, you may need to create one (free & quick).

If you do decide to do it yourself:

I've never used it but I've heard good things about CoolEdit which rongoms suggested.

Another: I've used GoldWave over the last couple of years and 300 or so 78s as well as LPs/45s, and it's great. It has both pop (scratch) removal and surface noise removal. Also has every kind of filter and alteration under the sun; including every kind of reverb / echo / room ambience, both graphic And parametric equalizers, time and pitch alteration, and every other kind of filter. Clean, tight, well-written, non-buggy.

$45 US:
http://www.goldwave.com/

Doing it yourself requires of course a 78 turntable & specialty needle for 78s (tip radius of 2.5 - 3.0 mil, not the same as an LP needle), patience, time, and a "clean/healthy" computer (not the kind that's slowing down over time with increasing MS Windows corruption and bugs; that will result in gaps of missing music in your recordings, like "skips")

Good luck,

- C H