1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

Red Rot, Cracks, and Flaking...When is a jacket too far gone?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by handymike, Jun 11, 2019.

1. tmitchell59

tmitchell59 Call Me a Cab

I've owned many vintage jackets and fix very few..it is very expensive to have jackets repaired.

Rotting, flaking, cracking of the leather shell is when I do not buy. This is most prominent on the upper arms and shoulders. Both are high stress areas.

Some shoulders areas an be reinforced through an inner piece. I don't think an upper sleeve area can be so reinforced short of a new sleeve.

This is a very interesting California Sportswear jacket that can not be restored. It is currently with Dave Sheeley being used as a pattern/model. He called this "red rot". It is goatskin.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

This is a Levi made jacket. An original "Speedway" as named by Aero. It is worth restoring. It needs a few areas re-sewn, but does not have rot. The lining is pretty well ripped.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

A lot of folks would pass because of the lining. I don't care that much about worn lining even though it is expensive to replace. The point is it can be replaced. So can zippers and seams re-sewn. I can't wear it do to size. So down the road another owner may op for a restored lining.

When the leather shell is gone, so is the jacket. Linings, zippers, buttons, threads can be repaired/replaced. You have to figure if it is worth the cost.

I guess it is just a personal thing.

navetsea, JMax, Gamma68 and 2 others like this.
  2. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Terry, that Californian is beautiful! Can’t wait to see what Dave makes with the pattern.

3. tmitchell59

I recall someone saw that jacket posted here, contacted Dave about a re-make. No idea where he is with it.

Here is a current ebay jacket I really like. Interesting style, brand I like.

but I lost all interest when I saw this pic, which I appreciate them showing. To me this is rot and not amenable to any sort sort of treatment. The rest of the jacket looks nice, but not worth a new sleeve.

[​IMG]

Gamma68 likes this.
  4. Gamma68

Gamma68 One Too Many

Those two jackets you posted are very interesting. I'm curious about your personal take on jacket lining--are you saying you don't mind wearing a jacket with torn lining in the body or sleeves? Like that Levi's jacket, for example. If it fits well, you can ignore major lining tears and wear it without it bothering you?

tmitchell59 likes this.
  5. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

That sounds interesting, always worth having another string to your bow. I have used the same leather repair on a very old A2 and my vintage MG car seats. Some might freak out but I'm more than pleased with the results.
    http://www.theleatherclinic.co.uk/

6. tmitchell59

Yes I can wear a jacket with a torn lining, or no lining at all. I do like and want jackets that have the original lining. I've made my own repairs to linings I guess since you don't see him I don't care. That's where it gets just just a personal choice. There are jackets where the lining is pretty critical to the original look of the jacket.

7. Guppy

Guppy Call Me a Cab

Yeah, about that... I found the item. Condition:

That seems incredibly scummy, given the photo shows cracking and a freakin' HOLE right there next to the sleeve seam.

8. tmitchell59

That seems incredibly scummy, given the photo shows cracking and a freakin' HOLE right there next to the sleeve seam.[/QUOTE]

Is that was Road Rash it wasn't treated properly and is turned into some sort of deterioration. They did mention it was road rash and showed a picture. Too bad, it is a really interesting Taubers.