Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Gentleman's Traveler Different from Wolverine 1000-Mile Boot?

Tux Toledo

One of the Regulars
I was intending to get the Red Wing 606 for a foul weather, knock-around boot to compliment my Wolverine 1000 mile but ended up getting the brown Red Wing GT instead. I'm placing my trust in their ability to break-in. I've had them on for a couple of hours and they are actually feeling better.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Remember, these are 'old school' type boots, not modern day 'Nike' style that one can go and do a 25 miler from the word 'go.' It's not hours you're looking at to break them in. Don't rush it, take a week or two and start by wearing them just around the house. Something I used to do with my old army boots when new was to stand in a tub of warm water with them on and let the water soak in then walk around in them (squelching as I went!), then allow to dry naturally (not forced by a heat source). My GT's were 'not' comfy from the start (weren't uncomfy either, but I wouldn't have gone for a long walk in them at the beginning). Now - they are like slippers to me. Don't rush it, that's all (as we live 'today' in a society that wants instant gratification and comfort - that is not what TFL celebrates, nor should your GT's).

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Long First Walk

I had no choice but to break in my Wolverine Addison's fast. Three days after I got them, I was with a friend on a Monday when his front tire went flat. Every one we could call was at work, so the only choice was a walk back to his house to get my truck. Around two miles, no problem except I had put some light insoles in, big mistake, the left one balled up under my heel, ended up with a blister, right foot was fine. Now I wear them san insoles! Still the most comfortable foot wear I have ever owned!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Here are my Wolverine Addison boots. Very comfortable, and classy looking. You don't have to look like a Hobo when you work!
Addison.jpg

"VERY" nice looking boots. Mmmm - I have 'so many' on my 'to buy' list, but at the end of the day, 'how many' boots can a man really need / use..? I would have been tempted by these, but...I must resist!!

ambulatingreader

New in Town
Another way to break in boots, learned in the infantry, where it's crucial: Fill the boots with hot water, let sit for a minute, empty, then go walking in them. Done a couple times, with increasing walks, this works well, and you don't have to get the boots soaking wet. Been doing this since 1967. A good leather treatment is Obenauf's , which comes in a liquid and waxy form. I don't use Snoseal anymore, as it tends to hold the dirt.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
A gentleman can never have too many boots.

Well, maybe I have to work 'more' on being 'the Gentleman.' But as I sit here and scan my study I find I'm looking at boots that are just not getting the usage! I'll have to rectify that now that I've flagged it up to myself. A pair of 'Whites' is still on the cards (yes - that's another thread ongoing in here), but 'back on topic,' I am 'more than' pleased with the GT's and they have done me proud from trekking Hadrian's Wall across the Scottish Borders, Desert Trekking in Arizona, to pounding the streets of Paris and Los Angeles! Pretty versatile actually!

jksu

Familiar Face
well i got the wolverines 1000 and like them a lot. i'm 45 in ecco (11-11.5) and bought the wolverine in 11 and they are are the big side...still toe room even with thick hiking socks so maybe should've gone 10.5. lovely horween leather, very soft, supple. minimal break-in as others have said.

may add a pair of redwing beckmans since everyone raves about them, in the black cherry, since i got the wolverines in brown. the brown wolverine has a reddish hue to them... at first i thought they sent me the rust by mistake but no, says bbrown on the box. nice box too, btw, love that!

anyone wear both redwing and wolverine and can comment on sizing? same size? i've read redwings run a bit narrower, but figure with breakin, it'll stretch... i don't have very wide feet, but they're not narrow either. i'm debating 10.5 or 11 for the redwing...

Tux Toledo

One of the Regulars
My Wolverine's are 8D and my Red Wing's are 7 1/2 D. I normally wear 8 1/2 or 9. I was surprised I needed to drop down to 7 1/2 on my Red Wings however the 8's were just too loose.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Tan Addison's

I did it again, bought my third pair of Wolverine Addison's, this time in tan. I got the idea for the tan boots by reading a review from a non manufacturers sight. You can see his boots in the second photo. As you can see, he does not baby them, just some oil and more wear! I hope mine looks like that in a year. Thats what I want, some boots I don't have to break out the polish every time I get a little blemish!
IMG_4344.jpg
6922966868_3f85ae8610_c.jpg

Tux Toledo

One of the Regulars
Nice boots. I haven't worn my Wolverine 1000 mile boots very often yet as I'm breaking in my Red Wing GT's which are coming along nicely.

Tux Toledo

One of the Regulars
My Red Wing GT's are breaking in nicely. It's taken several weeks but I can feel the difference. They still have a bit to go but I can tell they are going to be very comfortable.

too much coffee

Practically Family
OK guys........I need an education. I wear only Western roper boots, White's smokejumpers and packers or HH packers. Ain't none of 'em worth a darn for an all day walk in the city seeing the sights or, as Paddy does, sometimes uses them to hike in.

These RW GTs, 9011s, Beckmans and the Wolverine line are intriguing to me (mainly because I don't know anything about them). I always wore Danner Desert Acadias in the sandbox and they were terrific. So I'm looking for some stylish shorter boots that I can do stuff while wearing them and be comfortable.

Do you guys use any heel/sole protectors to get more miles out of the heel and sole? Where do you get your boots resoled? Looks like not every cobbler shop would have matching heels, etc.....

I know it's a tall order but I'm just picking your brains for information, clarification and recommendations. Thanks!

Regards,
coffee

Tux Toledo

One of the Regulars
Red Wing will resole their shoes. Just take them to a Red Wing shoe store. They seem to stand behind their product. I'm not sure if you can send Wolverine's back to the factory for a resole or repair.

I think the Red Wing Beckmans and the Wolverine 1000 mile boots are both excellent products. The Red Wings do require more break-in but they will become very comfortable despite their first impressions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112