Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Wolverine 1000 mile boots sole questions.

Yes Amazon has a great return policy. I am curious what Chippewa boots you guys have that are in this style? I am all for going cheaper if I like them and made in USA or UK.
My two pairs of Chip's are engineers boots, one black, one brown. I don't know if they have anything similar to those or not as I have have not looked.

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Boerum hill boots are authentic Thorogood boots. I bought a pair from Highkickz (the Amazon seller) last year. They're located in Hackensack which is about 10 minutes from where I live. It's a small place run by some Japanese guys. They mostly sell high end sport shoes but they carry the standard Thorogood boots as well as these. They're very nice horsehide boots and I'd almost buy another pair at that price if they still had my size. The reason that Thorogood might not recognize model names etc.. is that it's an exclusive small run made just for the one seller. Thorogood makes almost the same boot for Epaulet in NYC as well but Epaulet charges $60 more so I went with the Highkickz one.

pjstrass

One of the Regulars
Nabottle : Where were you able to try on the Wolverines and Beckmans ? I live in the same part of Florida ,Thanks.

Last edited:

thor

Call Me a Cab
I have the Wolverine 1000 mile and had my local shoe repair guy add a rubber half-sole; now they're perfect! No slippage and very comfortable (even for my wide feet!).
I also bought a pair of the Thorogood Boerum Hilll boots (on-line) and they are a bit narrow. Probably try to have them stretched out by the same shoe cobbler.
Can't go wrong with the Wolverines!

nabottle

A-List Customer
Nabottle : Where were you able to try on the Wolverines and Beckmans ? I live in the same part of Florida ,Thanks.

pjstrass, I tried the Beckmans on at the Redwing dealer in Brandon. They were the closest dealer to me that actually carried the Beckmans. I didn't try on the Wolverines, though. I just took a chance on them. I couldn't find any dealers within a decent drive to try them on. The sizing in a 9.5D was virtually identical from the Beckman to the Wolverine though. Honestly, I'd love to have both. I opted for a pair of White's instead since they looked a lot different.

frussell

One Too Many
Winterland - I've got the Chippewa 8" Apache Lacer boots, but they make a lower, 6" version that sells for $120-$150, depending on where you shop. They're very well made. I just took off the little American Flag, which I appreciate the symbolism of, but don't like to have so close to the ground. Excellent boots, little break-in time. Frank.

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
Looks like you already decided but I highly recommend the RW Beckman. Truly is a made in america boot on par with the old quality we used to produce here before profit margin and global outsourcing came into play. Most people say they run .5 size smaller but I found stay with your normal size if you actually wear something thicker than a dress sock. The toe will be roomy but the sides are narrow. They are also very stiff / uncomfortable for most people not used to real boots or breaking in army boots in basic. Soak them and then take an hour fast walk. After drying they will be 100% more comfortable / wearable. I own a pair in black and a pair in cigar is coming next week. Didn't like the Wolverine at all.

ProteinNerd

Same as a few people here, I've got a pair of 1000 miles and had the rubber soles put on them. I'm much happier with the rubber stability wise and it will be much cheaper just replacing the rubber sole than getting the whole leather sole replaced when worn.

winterland1

Practically Family
Same as a few people here, I've got a pair of 1000 miles and had the rubber soles put on them. I'm much happier with the rubber stability wise and it will be much cheaper just replacing the rubber sole than getting the whole leather sole replaced when worn.
So you had the leather sole taken off and replaced with rubber sole or added rubber to the leather?

I tried on the Wolverines now also. There is only 1 dealer that carries the 1000 miles with a few locations all in the Minneapolis area in all of Minnesota. Strange. I am usually a 9 1/2 in most shoes and I tried the 9 and it seemed like I had too much toe room. The 8 1/2 was perfect. I tried the 1000 mile boots and the Courtland. They both fit the same. They did not have a black Courtland in stock, so I wasn't too tempted.
The Red Wings I tried were all size 9 and did seem a little long in the toe. They did not carry 1/2 sizes. I have a feeling 8 1/2 will fit in RW also.
I liked both brands. The Wolverines were a little softer feeling on the foot. The Red Wings stiffer and seemed like they would need more breaking in. I have to say they are all great looking boots. I am sure I would be ok with the Chippewa or the horse Thorogood but I will be on the hunt for a good deal on Wolverines or Red Wings.

Xenophon

One of the Regulars
I owned a pair of Wolverine 1000 mile boots 4 years back and was not impressed. They started falling apart after 4 months (sole became detached) and of course just while I was at a location where using the warranty was not practical. Guess it was just bad luck as generally they have a good rep. Ended up tossing them and ever since I've purchased Yuketen boots:

http://www.yuketen.com/index.php/collection-2/fall-winter-2013/work-and-country.html

Can't find my current pair on their site but I purchased them here: http://www.volls.de/index.php?cat=OUTLET_S&product=YU-BOOT486204

Very happy with the looks and the quality of their product so if you like the style (a bit out of the ordinary with some extreme models) they might be worth considering. Never owned Red Wings so can't say anything about them.

coloradorider

One of the Regulars
So you had the leather sole taken off and replaced with rubber sole or added rubber to the leather?

A cobbler glues a thin rubber half sole to the leather sole. The cobbler may take the sole to a grinder because if you add a thick half sole directly to the leather sole it can put the boot out of balance. Here's a link to Vibram's half soles - Vibram half soles. I've added these to a pair of boots with a leather sole and a pair of chukkas with a leather sole and really appreciate the additional traction.

ProteinNerd

They keep the original sole and just glue a thin rubber half sole over the top...I believe they are called topys. This is what it looks like, not mine but it looks exactly the same.

Gives you more grip, protects the original sole from wear and water and when it starts to wear thin or wear through, you just get the rubber replaced for about $35 ..... not the hundreds that resoling would cost. They aren't very thick so you don't really see them from the side when you are standing so they don't ruin the look either.

Fifty150

One Too Many
In today's world, the more popular boots have been cut in half and dissected on YouTube. Now we know what each boot is made with, and how it's constructed. And most of the more popular shoe companies have options of getting their boots with different kinds of soles. Allen Edmonds allows you to customize with different types of soles and even colors. Wolverine and Allen Edmonds both offer a moc toe version to compete with the Alden Indy Boot.

The only thing that the internet cannot tell you is how the boots fit on your feet. You do need to try the boots on. Whether it's taking a day to drive around to different stores to try on shoes. Or order every shoe in several sizes, then return the shoes that do not fit well. Whatever you do, buy the shoe(s) that fit you best and feel the best on your feet. Your feet are different than mine, or anyone else's. Just because a guy online said that model XXX was the best, or to order a half size down........ your feet will be different from his feet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo