Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wool Cap

Morgoroth

New in Town
I sort of have two questions....
One, is what type of cap is this?
Dick-Van-Dyke.jpg
I have heard it called a newsboy(but I thought those to be more "fluffy" on top), a golf cap, an ivy league, an Irish cap and a cabbie (for some reason this last one makes the most sense to me, I don't know why).
It seems that everyone calls it something different, but there are important differences in some of the designs.

Anyway, I say all this because I'm looking for a bright red wool one.
My dad used to have one like this:
Red Wool Hat.jpg

And he lost it years ago, and I'd like to get him a replacement.
It was a Pendleton, but that is not as important as it being red, and of that style.

The problem is that it's hard to search the net for, because so many people call them by different names.
Any ideas where I could find such a thing?

babygirl...

One of the Regulars
I believe them to be called an Ivy cap more than anything else. They are big with Irish folk and are a great alternative to the newsboy or the fedora for a more casual attire. I think I seen Simonds or Cordova have something very similar, they are pretty darn good at what they do and can accommodate most any style you wish. I have placed an order with Simonds and looking into one from Cordova..Good luck!! be sure and post up some pics in the cap faction when you decide on a maker for your fathers cap...like your avatar btw!

Morgoroth

New in Town
Thanks for the reply. It's a little out of my price range at the moment, but I'll keep it in mind for later.
And, maybe some caps of my own. :D

And thanks about the avatar, I thought it appropriate since he wears a hat.

babygirl...

One of the Regulars
sure thing! The prices are a little more than the mass produced caps but all in all it is the quality and craftsmanship you are getting that some bigger companies may lack due to the overall quantity they have to produce enable to stay afloat..anywho, I know that a lot of members here talk about Christy's caps so they may also be an alternative for now. I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for with most things although some things are no where near worth the price they ask,,LOL! Again, please keep us in the know if you find a worthy company..:)

jhe888

One of the Regulars
Kangol's wool felt and open weaved synthetic ones will be the easiest to find. They make both in bright red. Amazon has them, and the quality is decent to good without being too expensive.

I've heard them called Ivy caps, flat caps, and cheese cutters all in contrast to newsboy caps, which are "fluffier" (rounder and less closely fitted).

Morgoroth

New in Town
Thanks!
I have seen the Kanol's but I have never seen them in person.
I'm afraid I may not be able to wear them since they are not lined, and I have a bald head.
It might be a little itchy :p
My dad would not have that problem though.

What kind of quality are they? They look a little different style wise, but it might be my best bet.

Thanks for all the replies!

Edward

Bartender
On this side of the Atlantic, that's called a flat cap. Traditional working-class man's headgear right up until at least my parents' generation (i.e. folks born in the late Forties), though going through something of a revivial now. Over here a "newsboy" implies an eight panel cap, which is much more of an American look. I should think if you hunt Etsy or eBay for "red wool flat cap" you might get somewhere.

Kangol do something close:

http://www.hatsandcaps.co.uk/kangol-504-wool-flat-cap-red-p178921/?gclid=CNW8vt-VprsCFWmWtAodTEMAQw

(Oops, I see that's already well covered!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy