Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Redyed G&B HH A-2

gruvi

Familiar Face
Mark,
Thanks for the guidance on this project. I have wiped it down twice and buffed once. Each time the towel gets cleaner and cleaner like a gun bore...;)
Gruvi It wasn't that hard to keep the dye away from the knits and lining, easier than what I thought it would be....
John
Can you please tell the technique? Is it a case of just applying dye nearest the fabric, and it migrates into the leather or something else? I am sure a lot of us would like to know :) thanks!

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
To be honest, I thought it would turn out like my painting projects, paint everywhere. I put the jacket on my display rack. Went out to the garage, used an old table and started using the dobber to apply the dye. The dye seemed to follow natural trails. ie I used the dobber to apply the dye, very careful not to get too much on the dob or the jacket (even coating, dark spots). The dye, when I did use too much just seemed to flow along a seam or zipper line, never getting on to the cloth/knits (well a spot or two along the collar,no biggy). Totally surprised. I will say that I should have had better rubber/latex gloves on when buffing/wiping the jacket down.
The process is not hard, but time consuming, post dye anyway, wiping it down/buffing.
Next time I will heed Mark's advice about water based dye. I will use it next time!!! hands are still yellow....:D
John

gruvi

Familiar Face
Thank you!
To be honest, I thought it would turn out like my painting projects, paint everywhere. I put the jacket on my display rack. Went out to the garage, used an old table and started using the dobber to apply the dye. The dye seemed to follow natural trails. ie I used the dobber to apply the dye, very careful not to get too much on the dob or the jacket (even coating, dark spots). The dye, when I did use too much just seemed to flow along a seam or zipper line, never getting on to the cloth/knits (well a spot or two along the collar,no biggy). Totally surprised. I will say that I should have had better rubber/latex gloves on when buffing/wiping the jacket down.
The process is not hard, but time consuming, post dye anyway, wiping it down/buffing.
Next time I will heed Mark's advice about water based dye. I will use it next time!!! hands are still yellow....:D
John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR