Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Redyed G&B HH A-2

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
I took a russet HH from Gibson & Barnes, dyed it with a dark brown dye from a local leather shop. I thank Mark (Fishmeok) for helping me with dye/no dye decision and pointers. I was deciding on dyeing an ELC Warhorse that I think was switched at birth with a Time Worn A-2. Decided to leave the ELC alone and dye the G&B. I think it turned out awesome. The color is deep rich seal, the next step is to aquire berry knits...
012-1.jpg

Before color
IMG_1660.jpg

John

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Would you mind giving a brief explanation of how you did it? Did you use anything to strip the original finish prior to applying the dye?

too much coffee

Practically Family
Great job John! Once you wear the jacket very hard and the sheen is knocked off, with time the darker dye will fade somewhat and the original russet will visually pull through creating a jacket that will be even more appealing.

That's one of the benefits of this forum........CBI with his HWT, ButteMT51 with the no heat dryer treatment, others with the hot dryer process for shrinkage purposes, HD with spray water bottle break in procedures and now Phantomfixer & Fishmeok going public with leather dyeing. It's an ongoing educational process!

You'all enjoy your Sunday..........I'm goin' back to the NASCAR race on the tube!

coffee

Peacoat

Bartender
Would you mind giving a brief explanation of how you did it? Did you use anything to strip the original finish prior to applying the dye?

Yes, I too, would be interested in the explanation. Because of environmental concerns, some dyes are no longer available to the public. I think dyes that will work on vegetable tanned leather are still available, but the ones for Chromexcel, and similar leathers, have been taken from the market for the non professional consumer.

Good job, BTW.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Thanks for the kind replies. This was my first attempt at a redye. Why? The G&B russet has all the color of an earth worm left in the rain too long. The first idea was to redye the ELC but thought better not to attempt such a project until I experiment. G&B jackets are not cheap but it cost less than the ELC, and has been worn for several years.
I used a stripper/ prepping solution provided by a leather store then used the dye, dark brown. The company that makes the stripper/dye is Fiebing's. Looks like they are our of Milwaukee. Sold retail. I used almost all of the 4 fl oz bottle to dye the jacket.
I spent all morning (post pictures) buffing the heck out of it by hand. When the sun returns to the East coast, I will take some outside shots.

Will the dye hold up? I am going to let it sit up for a few days just to be sure, but after the buffing, I hope all the residual has been removed..
Thanks again
John

Peacoat

Bartender
Yes, Fiebing's is well known in the horse/leather care business. One method I have heard of for darkening leather is to mix a little Fiebing's dye with some leather oil and rub it into the leather. Your job was a bit more than simple darkening, however.

jksu

Familiar Face
awesome! just what I was saying how I much prefer the dark brown over russet. nicely done!

and ballsy - not sure if I'd have the guts to do that to a nice jacket.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Mark,
Thanks for the guidance on this project. I have wiped it down twice and buffed once. Each time the towel gets cleaner and cleaner like a gun bore...;)
Gruvi It wasn't that hard to keep the dye away from the knits and lining, easier than what I thought it would be....
John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy