Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reenacting @ 10,000 Feet

Edward

Bartender
Impressive photos - they could even be period if you turned them black and white. I'm always fascinated to see original spec kit put to its intended purposes. This reminds me of a documentary I saw years ago which followed a bunch of guys in the US reenacting US troops in the ACW. Not only did they re-enact a specific battle, but they completed the full week march on the original route prior to it. With a couple of guys portraying captured CSA prisoners in tow... Obviously, there's only so far any of us nowadays can go in getting an idea of what it was really like to be a young man, quite likely a conscript, in any of the major wars of history, but the more real it can be made the more history can be brought to life, hopefully with the result that we are that bit less likely to be involved again in such a conflict.

I'm intrigued by the shirts you are all wearing under the uniform tunics. Are these civilian shirts? Would that have been typical at the time (I assume they are indeed accurate given that, even to my untrained eye, you have clearly gone to some effort with the accuracy of the uniforms elsewise).

Also, and if it's not introducing too controversial a topic, did you have any hassle from the French authorities? I know France has some very strict laws about the use of War-era Wehrmacht symbology and so on.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Also, and if it's not introducing too controversial a topic, did you have any hassle from the French authorities? I know France has some very strict laws about the use of War-era Wehrmacht symbology and so on.

I think that's the reason why the uniforms did not come out of the rucksacks before very near to the top. When chances of bumping into a french policeman - or other people for that matter - was almost zero. :)

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
I noticed the shirts too Edward and U-Boat crews were issued checkered shirts, and so I had wondered the same - if they were issue to the Gebirgs. or if they were civilian shirts.

Edward: I'm always fascinated to see original spec kit put to its intended purposes. This reminds me of a documentary I saw years ago which followed a bunch of guys in the US reenacting US troops in the ACW. Not only did they re-enact a specific battle, but they completed the full week march on the original route prior to it. With a couple of guys portraying captured CSA prisoners in tow... Obviously, there's only so far any of us nowadays can go in getting an idea of what it was really like to be a young man, quite likely a conscript, in any of the major wars of history, but the more real it can be made the more history can be brought to life, hopefully with the result that we are that bit less likely to be involved again in such a conflict.

Me too. I feel the same. :)

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
Absolutely brilliant. What a cracking way to announce yourself to the Lounge !!!

All the photos are of a very high quality. The ones in uniform are outstanding and the ones on the ice made me think of the film footage of the G/J climbing in the Urals in WW2.

I look forward to any further posts by yourself. Certainly made me sit up and take notice !

Dave

Marshall

One of the Regulars
Those are fantastic pictures Heeresbergführer, what a terrific adventure. That is certainly taking reenacting to a whole new level. Thanks for sharing!

Heeresbergführer

Familiar Face
I'm intrigued by the shirts you are all wearing under the uniform tunics. Are these civilian shirts? Would that have been typical at the time (I assume they are indeed accurate given that, even to my untrained eye, you have clearly gone to some effort with the accuracy of the uniforms elsewise).

Grüß Di' Edward und Bergkameraden,

Civilian shirts of various types were very common among German troops. I need to scan some of my period studio portraits that show some nice plaid shirts...but here are a few period examples:

bergenpg186.jpg

gjbulgariamar4115gl9.jpg

GJPre-WarUniforms_24.jpg

As to the French authorities, our event organizer had cleared it with them and we had no issues. As noted by Spitfire, we hiked the lower portion in just shirts, pants, and caps without insignia...we looked more like classic climbers that way...then, once we got above the tourist line, we dawned our tunics. The area we climbed wasn't easy so we only ran into a few people during the trip...they were amazed at all the old gear that we had and that we were actually climbing with it.

Berg Heil,

Patrick

Edward

Bartender
Sounds like the French were eminently sensible about the whole thing - no doubt encouraged by your very reasonable attitudes too. Interesting about the shirts. It puts me in mind of the array of civilian shirts worn by the CSA during the American Civil War. Was this similarly a case of using what was available or were the shirts considered to be underwear which was to be provided personally?

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
Nice photos of the civilian shirts. Naturally many civilian type clothes were used aboard the U-Boats as well, but things like the knitted caps were actually issue. :)

I too was curious about the French authorities, but like Edward said they were very sensible about it which is good to hear. :)

too much coffee

Practically Family
Don't see why - they made it to the top, didn't they? :)
Nice pics - well done guys. Prost!

You're right Soren, they made it to the top.

Patrick: I hope you didn't take personal offense to my comment about the beer, etc....It was written with a thought and theme of levity. But I do apologise to you and any other Forum member if my insensitive and uncalled for comment upset anyone; it certainly was not written with that objective in mind.

Regards, coffee

Edward

Bartender
Mmmm..... I well remember discovering Bratwurst proper for the first time on my first visit to Berlin. I think I had the first one in the shadow of Brandenberg Tor, or, more accurately, the stage they were in the process f building in front of it for the tenth anniversary of the wall coming down concert.

benjamin.f

New in Town
Gott zum gruße, Heresbergführer!

Of course everyone at the lounge will congratulate you to your nice pictures ... so as I do
:yo:...and the enthusiastic way you live and present the Gebirgsjäger and generally the Bergsteiger in the golden era.
Last year I lived in Friedrichshafen (Bodensee, D) with a great fiew on the Alpen. And I can bite in my A*s that I never drove the 30 minutes train-ride to explore a little adventure in austria...
Its a different way for reenacting you are presenting and I am fascinated!

It is great to see that you have not forgot the Muli - that lovable animal...for the german Gebirgsjäger he is more like a Kamerad` (ger.: kamerad=engl.:buddy, mate) and his service is a long military tradition-even today.

b

Last edited:

Heeresbergführer

Familiar Face
Ah oops. :eek::D

Did they use Donkeys at all though? Or just mainly horses and Mules? How many of the animals did they have total?

Still cute though.;)

Servus Prien,

Yes, they did use Donkeys...also Bactrian Camels, Reindeer, Oxen, and Dogs. A standard Gebirgsdivision had about 5,000 animals...the German Army used about 6 Million horses and mules during the war...less than 20% of the German Army was mechanized.

Donkey
gjdonkeytc2.jpg

1089gc6.jpg

Camel
**need to find my photos of these

Reindeer
kw03wdq9.jpg

finnland02xx6.jpg

Dog
gjstbernhardnv9.jpg

Muli vor!

bwmuli198xz.jpg

Baggers

Practically Family
I agree with everyone else. THIS is what reenacting is all about! Thanks for sharing them with us. Makes me want to box up all my LRDG desert kit and start collecting Gebirgsjaeger gear. As a matter of fact I just received a repro windjacke from one of the Chinese eBay vendors and am in the process of figuring out what I need to improve on it (please don't tell me to pitch it and start fresh!).

I am curious, though. Did your team get any grief from anybody about your using bergschuhen? I can easily imagine a member of the "tread lightly" crowd having a stroke upon seeing all the iron on the soles!

Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21