Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Referral for vintage stove repair or restoration?

DecoDame

One of the Regulars
Hello, everyone.

I posted this same question some time ago as part of a thread decrying the short life of appliances. I didn't know of a more appropriate place for my question then (and still don't!), but I'm trying again here, as my initial question didn't get a nibble. I'm crossing my fingers and giving it a go again... (If there IS a better place for this, please let me know).

I'll just cut and paste my original phrasing below - nothing has changed:

We have a Chambers B gas stove that was my partner's grandmother's. Obviously, much sentimental attachment to it. It's traveled with us from state to state and we happily used that "tanker" of a stove for some years after inheriting it. Then it was giving off alarming amounts of gas smell (I thought) and I insisted we hold off using it until we could get it properly looked at, for safety's sake.

We've been in the midst of on-going house renovations, so that project got shuttled to the side and we've made due with hot plates and toaster ovens a depressing amount of time now. That poor Chambers has been a very large and very heavy art piece in our kitchen!

So, point being: Does anyone have a line on someone who repairs vintage gas stoves, who also services the Ohio area? Ideally, I would want one of those Safety Systems that "Old Appliance Club" was offering (if I can still get it, now that they folded), and get it cleaned and generally checked out.

There are general repairmen who claim they could muddle thru, but I want someone who really knows their stuff and doesn't wing it - both for it's ultimate safe performance (I'm a bit paranoid about gas) and the fear that a well meaning newbie might damage it.

Would love to get it in good working condition again and be able to use it daily!

Thanks in advance...

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I can gve you some links, but not necessarily in the Ohio area. Properly restored a Chambers stove is a treasure. The ovens are so well insulated that you take a turkey, fix it up and stick it in the oven at I guess 400 ro 425 degrees for about an hour, then you TURN IT OFF, and let it sit for 2 or 3 more hours. NO heat escapes. A true marvel.
I'll dig up those links for you. They may be on my work compuyer, so it may be a couple of days.

DecoDame

One of the Regulars
Thanks, dhermann1. Anything would be very welcomed. It might be a lead I can follow up on, at least. Ya know, a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy...in Ohio. I imagine those repair people are aware of each other no matter where they are...common interest, small community.

I know! Chambers are awesome. I so miss cooking on/in it, you don't even know...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner