Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Refills for Vintage Compacts

D

Deleted member 12480

P1012850.jpg

Here it is! Filled with coty.
And no, I shouldn't think so, I wear it most days and I have a lot of acne. The wearing or not wearing of the powder doesn't seem to make any difference.

Unless maybe if it is a particularly sweaty day, in which case you might want to have a tissue or blotting papers to clear up some oil before you reapply, so you don't clog your pores. :)

xxxx

Rosie_Beau

One of the Regulars
Dita Von Teese said on her twitter something about putting a new lipstick in the freezer over night and then taking it out of the tube very carefully, melting the end a touch and sticking it into her old vintage case.
I have never tried it though so can't say just how well it works.
Making your own powder for a compact though is great! I did mine recently.

Marla

A-List Customer
I used the instructions in this thread for refilling my compact with pressed powder and it worked perfectly! Thank you to everyone who's contributed information and instructions in this thread!

A tip: if your powder develops cracks once it's in the compact smooth them out by dipping your finger in the alcohol. It's best to keep checking on your compact while the powder dries so that if cracks develop you can catch them early.

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
Just filled mine up using the powder/rubbing alcohol method (thanks Annie for the quick tutorial) and it looks great so far! I tried using fabric like you mentioned. I just took a small square of some cheap cotton and gently smoothed it over the surface, then I took a shot glass with a flat bottom and slid it over the fabric. Worked like a charm! Plus if you use vodka like Annie did you can have a shot afterward!

PS I tried using a stamp but I wasn't pleased with the result. Maybe I'll try again with a nicer stamp in the future.

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
Rosie_Beau said:
Mine has crumbled a tad at the edges but still holding up better than I expected!
xxx

I wonder if using a drop of some essential oil would help hold the powder together. What do you think?

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Rosie_Beau said:
I was thinking; would wearing powder every day make me come out in spots? I've never really worn powder before you see.
Oooo so excited to see pictures.
xxx

It doesn't make me break out - and in fact I think my skin is better when I have been wearing it, probably because I am more scrupulous about cleaning my face before and after!

Rosie_Beau

One of the Regulars
I sometimes get acne type spots, usually one or two every now and again, and I was just worried it might get in my pours. I agree though that I clean my face more when I've been wearing powder. They haven't got any worse so far.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I'm so happy to find this thread! I'm just waiting for my auction to end. I'm bidding on my first compact and so far, no one else is bidding. This one has a compartment for powder and blush. Has anyone had luck refilling a blush? I haven't seen a loose powder blush, so I don't know how it would work.

User25159

New in Town
Do you gals think that a compacted cosmetic could be broken, then mashed up with alcohol and then put into a vintage compact? For example, a pressed powder foundation? And what about a powder foundation like Bare Minerals? Do you think it would change the properties of it at all to press it? I've been seeing awesome vintage compacts lately and i'm trying to think of all the possibilities:)

shopgirl61

A-List Customer
I LOVE coty airspun powder!
without reading through the whole thread, could someone instruct me as to how i can put it into a compact? I need something i can carry around with me while on the go and the coty box just doesn't work.

appreciate the help thanks :)

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
ShopGirl-

Just go back a page or two. I believe Annie did a nice little tutorial complete with pictures!

My first go at it crumbled pretty badly. The second time around I added a drop or two of tea tree oil to the wet powder before putting it in my compact. I'm hoping this will help hold it all together!

Julius8122

New in Town
I tried refilling one of my old compacts using the idea in this thread. I added a touch of glycerine to the mix. It took a couple days to dry but it hardened and I've had no cracking or flaking. It's been bouncing around in my purse and I dropped it once. Maybe this will help someone else...

Marla

A-List Customer
Julius8122 said:
I tried refilling one of my old compacts using the idea in this thread. I added a touch of glycerine to the mix. It took a couple days to dry but it hardened and I've had no cracking or flaking. It's been bouncing around in my purse and I dropped it once. Maybe this will help someone else...

Oh, that's a great tip! I've had problems with the powder in my compact shattering, even when I'm being careful. I will try this next time I'm refilling it.

Did the glycerine affect the texture of the powder at all?

Julius8122

New in Town
Oh, that's a great tip! I've had problems with the powder in my compact shattering, even when I'm being careful. I will try this next time I'm refilling it.

Did the glycerine affect the texture of the powder at all?

I haven't noticed a difference. Just don't use too much glycerine. The first batch I made, I used to too much glycerine and it madethe powder more like a creme powder...it worked but not what I was going for. Just a drop or two should do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner