Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Refills for Vintage Compacts

Avalon

A-List Customer
GOK said:
Can you not remove the pan from a modern face powder compact and put it into the vintage one?

I tried this recently with my Volupte compact...but modern pans (the majority of them anyway) are too large. :( And the powder puffs are too thick! :eusa_doh:

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Can you not remove the pan from a modern face powder compact and put it into the vintage one?

To de-pan a modern plastic compact, pop out the inner portion that houses the pan, and then heat this over a candle until the glue that holds the plastic cover and metal pan together softens. Flip the pan over (powder side down; make sure it's placed on a towel) and use a pen to push down while you lift up underneath the pan with a knife. The metal pan will pop right out!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
jitterbugdoll said:
It does work (and you can use alcohol to repair crumbled eye shadows and blush, too.) Because I am so pale, I mix baby powder with a pink powder that Ben Nye makes. I have also used Airspun mixed with alcohol with the same end result. This pressed powder is softer than one you would by ready made, but it serves the purpose well and allows you to customize your perfect shade :)

I knew someone tried it..thanks for piping up....

I have used it with eyeshadows..just not powder....

KaitlynDawn

New in Town
Ohhh.... now I am all excited to put some loose powder in my compacts. I never even thought of it! I also heard that mixing some vasaline with powder (eyeshadow, foundation, etc) will turn it into a creamy formula, wich could be usefull for a compact, too.

Kaitlyn

BonnieJean

Practically Family
To de-pan a modern plastic compact, pop out the inner portion that houses the pan, and then heat this over a candle until the glue that holds the plastic cover and metal pan together softens. Flip the pan over (powder side down; make sure it's placed on a towel) and use a pen to push down while you lift up underneath the pan with a knife. The metal pan will pop right out!
Jitterbugdoll, I've done this before only I used a hairdryer on the highest heat setting and it softened up the glue holding the metal pan in enough that I was able to get a butter knife in between the metal pan and the plastic and popped it right out. I used some rubber cement to glue it into my vintage compact. My vintage compact is a little larger than the modern pressed powder ones, but it still does the trick. I had some loose powder in it before and because I didn't have a screen for it, I ended up with some powder in my purse.:(

Aren't we clever women when it comes to make-up?

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Miss Neecerie said:
Bah...I only have internet during the day now....so sorry for not being faster about this.

I have read (not tried it yet though) that you can also mix loose powder into a paste with some rubbing alcohol, which then dries off and leaves you just a firm powder cake.

I just tend to stick loose powder in, but most of my compacts have screens and I am just really careful with those that done have screens and metal covers.....and it works

I knew you'd pop your head in at some point, and see my plea for help:)
Thank you!!! I've got a few compacts that I'd really like to fill, but couldn't figure out how. I'm gonna try the rubbing alcohol. Never thought of that, but it does make sense.
I forgot that you didn't have internet access yet in your new place. Sorry to put you on the spot.
:eek:fftopic: Hope the new place is great and that you are finally settled. Must be nice to have all of that great closet space, and most of all a place of your own with a very good friend as a neighbor. I hope you are finally settled and nice and comfy :)

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I tried the rubbing alcohol trick a couple of nights ago for 2 of my compacts. I just mixed Coty Airspun with rubbing alcohol in a bowl to make a dry paste, and spread it in there. Be warned that the paste will turn a strange pinkish purple color - the powder reverts to the normal color when it dries, though. I used much less powder than I thought I would, so I had paste left over, but it did work! I left the compacts open to dry overnight and in the morning they were both dry and set. The powder isn't quite as firm as storebought pressed powder, and it flakes easily, but it does work quite well. My only suggestion is to make sure you get your powder spread in there flat, as mine didn't dry very "pretty."

MaryMary

One of the Regulars
Vintage lipstick nightmare!

I need to revive this thread because I need help!

Ok, so I bought a vintage make-up compact that contained the powder and lipstick. I tried to scoop out the vintage lipstick aaaaaand....nightmare!!! First of all, the vintage lipstick is like GLUE. It has stained my hands, stained my bathroom sink...it is a nightmare to scoop out. Needless to say, it ain't going anywhere.

My attempt to solve this problem has been that I have the lipstick tube soaking right now in some warm water with dish detergent. I am keeping it standing label up, so that the label doesn't get wet and peel off.

Does anyone have any better ideas or had a similar issue?

Next time I buy a vintage lipstick tube I am making darn sure it comes empty! Yeesh! :eusa_doh:

MaryMary

One of the Regulars
Thank you Inky!!!

Ok, yeah, never realized that the inner metal tube could come out....so I am going to give that a try when I get home tonight! (because, basically I gave up on it, that lipstick was like GLUE and really impossible to clean, but if I remove the tube I may have success!

Thanks a million!

D

Deleted member 12480

bumping this thread.

Hello :)
I saw a tutorial somewhere that showed you how to refill the compact using alcohol. however rubbing alcohol doesn't appear to exist in the uk unless you get it on prescription. (they wouldn't let me or my mum buy it from the chemist)

So have you any alternatives?
And have a lot of you tried it with water?

Xxxx

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Fleur De Guerre said:
Maybe vodka? lol

I'd be interested to know too. You can't buy ispropyl alcohol any more, because terrorists use it to make bombs. :(

For real? That's the most ridiculous sh*t I've ever heard.

I bet vodka would work. Water definitely wouldn't, as it would likely dissolve the powder.

Rosie_Beau

One of the Regulars
Fleur De Guerre said:
No word of a lie. You can't buy citric acid either for the same reason, which is used in some recipes. Overreaction much!

:eek: JTF Wholesalers are selling it illegally because I'd swear you can buy it from there in the cleaning isle. I wanted some to de-fuzz my kettle like Kim and Aggie do.

Kate O Potato

A-List Customer
I thought you were meant to use vinegar for that..? A lady at my old work used to vinegar our kettle every 6 months, cups of tea would have a hint of chip shop for the days afterwards...

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
deleteduser said:
bumping this thread.

Hello :)
I saw a tutorial somewhere that showed you how to refill the compact using alcohol. however rubbing alcohol doesn't appear to exist in the uk unless you get it on prescription. (they wouldn't let me or my mum buy it from the chemist)

So have you any alternatives?
And have a lot of you tried it with water?

Xxxx

Wait-you can get rubbing alcohol in the UK! We call it 'surgical spirit'- you can buy it in huge bottles in the First Aid isle , next to the plasters and TCP etc. (thats where I found my hydrogenperoxide, and bottles of witchhazel too)

I've used it with eyeshadows that have crumbled and it works great- you can also use it to remove sticky glue residue.

Fleur- have you tried an asian supermarket for citric acid?- thats where I got my last lot. I add a bit to the lemon icing on lemon drizzle cake-mmmmm yummy!

Has anyone noticed that old remedies and old beauty products start off life either from the first aid box or the pantry?- seems like the last place i go for beauty products now.. is the beauty isle!

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
It's not illegal! Just hard to get hold of. Also it's not the same as surgical spirit, that is strongly scented with wintergreen, whereas rubbing/isopropyl alcohol is scentless and therefore better for using to refil compacts. I would not want my face smelling of surgical spirit!

I have never used citric acid, but people come into the kitchen shop where I occasionally work trying to find it.

Rosie_Beau

One of the Regulars
Trish - I thought of surgical spirit but didn't know it was the same as rubbing alcohol! And then I thought Vodka powder sounds more fun.

Kate- they use vinegar as well but I think citric acid is much stronger. Maybe less "chippy" too. Hee hee!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner