Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Refills for Vintage Compacts

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
Fleur De Guerre said:
surgical spirit, that is strongly scented with wintergreen, whereas rubbing/isopropyl alcohol is scentless and therefore better for using to refil compacts. I would not want my face smelling of surgical spirit!

Haha! I actually like the smell of it :) - it's okay for eyeshadow (and it wears off after a while) but i agree with you Fleur, that it's not the prettiest scent for ones face :)

D

Deleted member 12480

vodka! I'll try it if it works! Anyone think it might?

Xx

Rosie_Beau

One of the Regulars
deleteduser said:
vodka! I'll try it if it works! Anyone think it might?

Xx

I'm going to get some cheap powder tonight and have a go.
Although I have lime flavour vodka or gin in the house sooo... it could all go horribly wrong. Hee hee!
xxx

Rosie_Beau

One of the Regulars
I made my home-made refill tonight. It was a lot like playing chemisty when we were kids. Pretty fun! It's still drying so I don't know how it turned out in terms of use but I didn't spend a lot of money doing it so it's fine!

25062010498.jpg

This is everything I used. The compact it a Stratton. The powder and talc were from Boots and the alcochol was from Kenya. I have no idea what "special cane" is but I know I'm not going to drink it for sure. It smells like just alcohol so I'm guessing it's vodka. The other options were gin or lime flavoured vodka.

25062010499.jpg

I added talc untill it looked more like my skin tone. I did buy the lightest shade that boots had to offer but it was still too tanned. The talc also smells like the original powder that was in the compact. (I.e. smells like my friend's nanna; but she smells nice)

25062010500.jpg

I added the alcohol 1/2 a teaspoon at a time. I think in the end I used 1 and a 1/2 teaspoons. I mixed it in between each spoon to make sure I knew when I was happy with the mix.

25062010501.jpg

Mixed it up. It looked pretty yukky at this stage.

25062010502.jpg

And the finished article. Well not totally finished as it's still in the airing cupboard drying out. Will post any pics of what it's like dry later. I tried my hardest to smooth it out. Next time I might try wetting my finger as I smooth it because with a dry finger it just gets sticky.

Hope I was helpfull! Also sorry the pictures are so big but I'm still working out how to use photobucket and things.
:)

D

Deleted member 12480

i read that pressing some fabric over the top makes it nice and flat and gives it the 'proper' look xxx

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
deleteduser said:
i read that pressing some fabric over the top makes it nice and flat and gives it the 'proper' look xxx

I haven't tried this yet but the idea of using a cute rubber stamp from a craft store and pressing that into the flattened top popped into my head . I'm giving the green light to anyone who gets the chance before me to steal this idea.

D

Deleted member 12480

gaah! i'm so impatient waiting for the vodka results!

Belle Fatale

New in Town
I can't wait to see how this turned out! Given my love of vodka, I am torn between delight at the idea of vodka-powder, and dismay at the waste of a perfectly good drink!

Rosie_Beau

One of the Regulars
Annie - I thought the special cane was vodka as it smelt like nothing but alcohol but mum said she thought it was bacardi. Whatever it worked pretty well! I think using vodka will be fine if I got away using this.
I left it overnight in the airing cupboard to dry. Used it today and it was like using a bought compact! Very please with myself. Have left it in the bottom of my handbag to see how it fairs being carried to work etc. I have a feeling it might be a tad more delicate. But if you use that fabric to push it down it will probs hold better. I have muslin in my kitchen so if I do this again I'm going to use that.
Hope this helps.
Will take a photo tomorrow for you.

D

Deleted member 12480

YES!
i think we all know what i will be doing tomorrow. :D:D:D

i can't wait to be able to take my compact with me - at the moment i don't take it anywhere because my loose powder is a big box of coty airspun that would just result in a very powdery school/handbag.

and the mirror-powder combo seems to look a lot more 'powder my nose' than whacking out a mirror and your seperate loose powder and puff.

so excited.
xxxxx

Rosie_Beau

One of the Regulars
Yay! I took mine to town with me shopping yesterday and it didn't crumble to pieces when it bumped around in my bag. And even if it did we know how to fix it, right?
Very happy. Especially since the day before I did it my sister criticized me for carrying a compact with no powder. Ah ha!
xxx

D

Deleted member 12480

ah i'm so pleased!
How does it go onto your face, like how well does it apply xxx

Rosie_Beau

One of the Regulars
Goes on very well. Quite soft. I was really worried it would look crumby because I have extreme combination skin and have oily areas and patches of really dry skin. So I was worried about it making the dry areas look worse. I just avoid putting much on them and also used "medicated" talc - which is probs what gives it that nanna smell. I haven't used powder for years so can't tell exactly how it compares but I'm really happy with it and will use it every day.
Can't post a pic at the mo as photobucket is being really odd.
xxx

Rosie_Beau

One of the Regulars
Your compact is likely to dry out in a matter of minutes if the weather stays like this. :eek:fftopic: Holy moly how hot has it been today?!
Have you made yours yet? Did it turn out ok?
xxx

D

Deleted member 12480

eeeek! Annie is most pleased. pictures to follow xx

Rosie_Beau

One of the Regulars
I was thinking; would wearing powder every day make me come out in spots? I've never really worn powder before you see.
Oooo so excited to see pictures.
xxx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner