Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Regular Oval vs Long Oval

Yes, the original poster didn't say what size this was for. If it was for a specific size, say 7 1/4, we could figure out a ratio. Anybody have two of the same hatblock in the same size but different ovals to measure? But then, each hatblock manufacturer might use his own formula, kind of like the X's in felt quality.
There are slight differences in shape block maker to block maker. My long ovals are consistent but I have to be cautious as the variance in the regular ovals while slight can be significant.

I've pulled the Akubra hats I've bought new into LO shape, over my knee, gently but firmly. Saves the time it takes for them to eventually conform. I'll adjust the brim afterwards if needed.

My Borsalinos are soft and conform automatically, the brims tend to very slightly curl upwards due to this, not a problem as I wear them that way anyway.

I've noticed these day that most hat companies don't offer off the shelf LO options, except for Shantung or similar straws, I guess this makes sense as they can't be steamed or pulled into shape and won't eventually conform either.

I have no hands on experience with Resistols, but have heard their standard shape tends to be closer to LO than regular oval, can anyone here confirm that ? Do their hats really self-conform as advertised, or at least more so than Western felts hats from other brands ?
I am not sure but I do know that my vintage Resistols do fit me, a long oval, quite well.

StoryPNW

Practically Family
I remembered this thread when I saw a new reel Hornskov posted on Instagram, he says, general rule of thumb, 3/4 ratio is LO, 4/5 is regular oval, and 9/10 is round oval. Works out I'm a long oval, but I knew that already.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner