Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Remember these cash/receipt tubes in stores?

Atterton

New in Town
When I was living in Ireland a few years ago, the cashiers in Tesco would also be using vacuum tubes to get rid of the excess cash in the tills.

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
... going shopping with my mother at the big Kaufman's department store in Pittsburgh.
Wow! That takes me back. I grew up near Pittsburgh, too. I remember going downtown to shop at the department stores several times a year. There were no shopping malls in the area then. My mother and father and my brother and I would get in the car and drive downtown (in Pittsburgh, that's "dahntahn"). My great memory of the times was going through the revolving door at the Woolworth's Five and Ten Cent Store on our way to the lunch counter to get french fries. The smell of deep fat friers as you came out of the revolving door into the store is indelible in my memory.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I think vacuum tubes were what was used in radios and television sets, but the carrier tubes are called pneumatic tubes.
Just nit-picking. ;)

Sincerely,
The Wolf

MikeKardec

One Too Many
The car dealership I patronize in Van Nuys, not an old building at all, uses a Pnu System to send mechanics orders to the cashier. It's not very romantic looking, no brass or stainless steel, but I was surprised they didn't do it electronically.

Auld Edwardian

A-List Customer
A bank I used bank with had one until the replaced it with a newer type system that operated with a chain driven system. I would have though the later system, having more moving parts, would have been more prone to failure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
girlmom