Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Remembering "The Few"

Kilgour Trout

One of the Regulars
Just an Update

Sorry to resurrect this really old post but something new showed up....that I thought might be a point of interest....

Being a Canuck..I purposely didn't chime in on some of the debate about Vietam and the subsequent comments about draft dodgers because 1. I'm not American and 2. well..personally, I can only look at it from a historical perspective. I was only born in 64, when it was previous to this (in the early 60's) that Kennedy committed advisors to South Vietnam. All I can say is that...as much as some might deride Canada for harbouring the dodgers, many are unaware of how many "Canadians" and (One cannot forget, Australians) were over there.

You might be interested in checking out the latest "Cancellation" of the Monument info I came across. (See who opposed it)

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2004/10/04/nelson_monument041004.html

For better or worse, Canada has served as a pressure valve in times of serious US debate and Vietnam was a serious debate.
At that time, Canada just couldn't buy in on the war for numerous reasons 1. having just got out of Korea and 2. realizing that As the French found out, unless there was full committment to win the war...it could not be won. (Remember Canada was still only about 18-20 million people in the late 50's, early 60's)

Anyway, as extremely small bits of Canadian news hit the radar of US airwaves, please understand that not all Canadians agree with their government and its policies. In recent years the sanctimonious attitudes espoused by "Liberal leaders" stick in the craw of most Conservative and Western Canadians. We as a nation are governed by the interests of "city states" like "Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal". The rest of us are generally considered "Red neck yokels" which is unfortunate, because if there is anyone who might separate, it won't be Quebec, it will be the West.

Check out the sight...perhaps it will give you hope some sense still exists in Canada, whether we agreed with Vietnam or not eh.

Warm Regards
Kilgour

Michaelson

One Too Many
Well said, Kilgour.

Wish I could remember all the stories he told me, as he passed away shortly after taking a class here (he was an elderly ordained Lutheran minister who was just earning master degrees to keep himself busy.) He did say that they learned the primative craft while based on the coast in Canada, having no real clue as to what they were supposed to do with this new science, then were transfered to Northern England just before the battle. He said it was pure luck they were even looking in the direction of Germany that day, and were only testing their equipment when they saw the first wave of bombers coming across the Channel. His first inclination was a problem with their equipment, but quick testing showed the on coming signals to be strong, and getting stronger. They sent word to their commander, who then sent word to HIS commander, and the rest, as they say, is history. They proved the worth of their equipment and assignment completely by accident, as the British high command really didn't feel radar had a place in military useage. Needless to say, they became one of the hottest commands in the British Isles, though kept secret for some time throughout the war.

Regards. Michaelson

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner