Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Removing color/stain from old leather - Irvin Jacket

SpitfireIV

New in Town
Hi all,

I've recently picked up a somewhat 'war weary' and battered (but still with lots of life and potential left!) pre or very early war Irvin flying jacket, maker unknown as of yet.

I reckon now having spent some time addressing rotten stitching and tackling a few repairs that the jacket has been stained a dark brown, almost black at some stage, either that or it's incredibly dirty! It does have a grubby feel on the outside.

1VDsTvI.jpg

kMbskUd.jpg

It actually looks a bit lighter in color in the images but is far from the original color, this is visible under some of the seams and behind the belt...

WmmQ1Um.jpg

Whilst giving the jacket a bit of a gentle clean down I tried a bit of petroleum jelly on one panel to see if it'd loosen it up a bit, it did, and generally overall the jacket is incredibly soft and supple! I did however notice when doing the excess jelly away after a day this is what was coming away...

AgoSkTX.jpg

Now, either someone stained it or it spent it's postwar life on some grubby motorcycle or smoky sports car! Either way, is there a trick and or method to removing a colorant/stain or deep engrained grubbiness?

Thanks for any help and thanks for reading.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy