Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Repairing A Hole In A Felt Fur Hat

Edward

Bartender
(FWIW.... I've done that thing where I went online in a frenzy and ordered some bits. The sanding block arrived today; the wonder powder arrives tomorrow..... if that doesn't work, I have felting needles an a little pinch of felting wool also on the way. We'll see how things turn out. The hat I intend primarily on using this on is one I picked up cheap on eBay some years ago, and then sat awaiting a new ribbon long enough to get a little beetled without me noticing. If this works, it'll be a big plus, but it's not the ruination of a very precious chapeau if it does not. Fingers crossed.....

(FWIW.... I've done that thing where I went online in a frenzy and ordered some bits. The sanding block arrived today; the wonder powder arrives tomorrow..... if that doesn't work, I have felting needles an a little pinch of felting wool also on the way. We'll see how things turn out. The hat I intend primarily on using this on is one I picked up cheap on eBay some years ago, and then sat awaiting a new ribbon long enough to get a little beetled without me noticing. If this works, it'll be a big plus, but it's not the ruination of a very precious chapeau if it does not. Fingers crossed.....
Curious to see how this works. I watched the video yesterday of the lady hemming a pair of jeans with the product. Not sure how it would work filling holes in a felt hat. For holes right through the felt I have used a leather punch to steal a felt plug, either from a piece of leftover felt or stealing it from under the ribbon. If the hole is not even I use the leather punch to make it round and have the plug just slightly larger. Then using a light craft spray glue applied with a toothpick around the edges of the hole and plug. Then press the plug into the hole. If it is a dark coloured felt it should give you an invisible repair. For moth divots I scrape away felt from the inside of the hat and with the light duty glue painstakingly press the scraped fibres into the divot. Tamping it down, a light light touch of glue, tamping more fibre. Again with dark felts it gives an almost invisible fix. Light felts it will show but less than the original divot.

Edward

Bartender
Curious to see how this works. I watched the video yesterday of the lady hemming a pair of jeans with the product. Not sure how it would work filling holes in a felt hat. For holes right through the felt I have used a leather punch to steal a felt plug, either from a piece of leftover felt or stealing it from under the ribbon. If the hole is not even I use the leather punch to make it round and have the plug just slightly larger. Then using a light craft spray glue applied with a toothpick around the edges of the hole and plug. Then press the plug into the hole. If it is a dark coloured felt it should give you an invisible repair. For moth divots I scrape away felt from the inside of the hat and with the light duty glue painstakingly press the scraped fibres into the divot. Tamping it down, a light light touch of glue, tamping more fibre. Again with dark felts it gives an almost invisible fix. Light felts it will show but less than the original divot.

The glue method is basically what I intend to try, but with the wonder powder. (Fabric glue also on the way of wonder powder fails!)

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Interested in how this went.... I have a hat with moth grazes on the crown, and one with a small hole through the brim a late cat made. (Not why she's late! A just discovered little reminder eight months after she passed...). Have just ordered some of this stuff.....
Totally forgot about this. Sorry
I never tried it to see how it worked.
I’ll have to see if it’s still around.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
I breathlessly await your report!!!
Well...now i remember why i forgot about trying the Supermend Fabric Bonder *as seen on tv*.
After reading the directions...no way in h**l i’m going to experiment on any of my hats with this miraculous powder.
Sorry...not to be continued.
We all can breath now!!
B

Well...now i remember why i forgot about trying the Supermend Fabric Bonder *as seen on tv*.
After reading the directions...no way in h**l i’m going to experiment on any of my hats with this miraculous powder.
We all can breath now!!
B
Thank god I could not hold it much longer!!! I am always on the lookout for new and perhaps better ways of attacking things.

Edward

Bartender
We all can breath now!!
B

Any expansion on that? If it's no goo for hats I'm sure I'll find another use for it...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner