Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Replacing A2 jacket - looking for some input

dman535

New in Town
I have worn out my old Wilson leather jacket, with the blood chit on the back. I see that US Wings has some $200 jackets on sale. I was debating between their goatskin a2000 a2 and the cowhide vintage a2. I am planning on getting another blood chit to attach to the back. What are the key differences between these two jackets and their materials? Most of the stuff I have read - goat is hardier than cow hide.

Any input would be appreciated.

Derek.-
jacket_back.jpg

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I'd keep reading if I were you.

Are you interested in the Wings just beacuse it is cheap? IMO it's a fairly poor A2 and not very accurate. Goat is tougher and lighter than cow. Most A2's were made of horsehide.

Why not save up some money and get something a bit closer (Bill Kelso or Gibson and Barnes) - plenty of ideas on this site.

Last edited:

dman535

New in Town
I am not really looking for uber accuracy. Just want a decent jacket without breaking the bank. The post was really centric around the jacket material, I have looked at a few others and just not looking to spent the extra $$ right now.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I agree with you about accuracy - it doesn;t interest me much, only a bit.

As I said, goat is the best hide of the two you brought up. IMO. WIngs goat I have seen and it's not half bad.

stocksuspension

New in Town
I have a vintage a2 in cowhide and a g1 in lambskin. Both outstanding coats, I just like the cowhide more. The quality was top notch on both

My bad I meant goatskin

Last edited:

normanf

One of the Regulars
Yup. For a durable leather jacket, cowhide, goatskin or horseshide is preferred.

Lambskin is just too delicate for any but evening wear - it shreds easily and the jacket becomes unwearable.

Fifty150

One Too Many
Cowhide appears to be the least expensive. Not because prices reflect quality. There is just more cowhide available because of the beef industry, so the prices are lower. The most expensive is horsehide, because there aren't any horses raised for food. Less horsehide available, higher prices for the leather.

As for quality, the cowhide is great. Nothing wrong with it whatsoever. What you don't want for your jacket is lamb. Lambskin is buttery soft. Great for gloves, shorts, halter tops..... But maybe not so good if you want a jacket that is tough enough to stand up to nature's elements, or test against the urban environment. Take a spill in a lambskin coat, and you have no protection. Goat, buffalo, horse, and cow are all excellent choices.

But more power to you if you're the kind of guy who wears leather shorts. I'm sure that a well tailored pair of leather pants will accentuate your curves and contour, show off that roll of quarters in your pocket, and make you irresistible.

Is the US Wings $200 jacket a good jacket? It all depends. You will get a jacket that is worth $200. May be made in Pakistan. It will be durable. The leather will hold up fine against the elements. It will probably be better than your mall jacket. For $200, you will not be getting all the details that collectors seek. But you probably don't care about historically accurate detailing, and you just want a good jacket. Nobody wants to spend $200, and get junk.

Of course, Wilson's doesn't even have mall stores anymore. Just outlet shops and an online presence. Over the years, Wilson's quality has gone up & down. Some stuff was better than others. Today, they seem to offer economic value. If all you want is a replacement for what you have, then they still sell a flight jacket for about $150. Look for online coupons, and you could knock that down another 20% or more. This one is lambskin.

Also in your price range is Excelled Sheepskin's "A-2 Flight jacket-Top Grain Cowhide Leather". Made in USA. It could be the least expensive of all the Made in USA jackets.

I have this jacket. It is thick, tough, has a heavy feel, and has held up to everything I've thrown at it. This is the jacket that I threw into the bed of my pick-up truck, to keep around as a "go to" back up. Nobody has stolen it yet. And it stays back there in the sun all day, since I'm not wearing it on sunny days. It gets UV rays all year round. I throw it on whenever the wind picks up, or rain starts to fall. Or course, I also rub it with flaxseed oil on a regular basis, so there's no drying and cracking, and it remains waterproof. LeatherCoatsEtc.com offers coupon codes too. Search for these online prior to buying, and you can save up to 25% or get free shipping.

If you can afford bragging rights, by all means, get a really expensive jacket. Then you can go around telling everyone how expensive it is, and point out all the finer details. Or you can be practical, buy a well made jacket that will last for years to come, and take good care of it. Do you really need a single piece back for sewing on your patches? Are you particular about what brand or vintage of zipper is used? Do you need every little detail to match a jacket made 50 years ago? How important is it you that you don't have inside pockets and side entry hand-warmer pockets? Do you care what the pocket flaps look like? Are you a little "OCD" about the jacket being tight fitting?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner