Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Replacing knits on flight jackets...

Chris Wilkinson

New in Town
I cannot refer you unfortunately where to look specifically. I am simply the blunt instrument. There are sets on Ebay that will do the trick in a real Jam. Same boat here. And That is why I am urging you all to hang on to the originals after you swap them out. and not to lose them or try not to muck with them even if they are in tatters. leave em be.

You are baiting me with another horror story, if you see cuffs on an original Jacket that match the original Jacket but are less than to your liking in terms of condition...as long as they are originals think twice and reconsider...try making do before your Reaping what you sew in your harvesting and cannibalizing other original Jackets for parts which is all a gamble with luck as well. It will only end when people see it for what it is and are happy with what they have to be happy with.

Someone here once sent me a spectacular pair of M422A Eastman cuffs and while I couldnt tell you how close they are to originals, they are the best set of cuffs I ever seen. I stuck them on a 50s G-1 Jacket and while they do not match the waist and are not true to the Jacket...ONLY YOU will know the difference..shshh!!! remember, its YOUR secret! Like I said if it bothers you that much and you have to fix it, the Jacket aint going nowheres...seriously it can wait!

talk to the boss at eastman and maybe if you appeal to the higher powers that be, someone will take pity on your situation as was the case in my struggle with knit replacement. Although the cuff donor himself had bought an A-2 from Eastman and the spare set of cuffs were an added bonus and paid it forward.

Like a lot of G-1 Jackets had the wool cuffs and waistbands cut off when the Jackets were de-commissioned so as to deter mothing.

I AM THE GUY who ends up restoring someone elses SHODDY WORK!..always...those are the Jackets I pick up...the ones no one wants because they arent perfect examples. I want the ones that are a challenge to restore.

I do have spare cuffs here, but they are not original and they are shredded, however I will hide them away in a box rather than toss them, its only after you toss them you will need them.
Thanks for the reply. You mentioned in an earlier thread that its possible to re-knit a cuff together, granted if there's enough left that's useful to warrant the effort. I'm not looking for perfect, just as close as consistent to the original, so a re-knit would be fine. Not asking you to do it, but I might ask you if you might know resources for information as to how to re-knit it that you could direct me to. Thanks again.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Yeah, You will have to take them to a wool shop and inquire about it. Hope That someone might have the required skill to deal with it. It would be a lot of time and effort to deal with for both you and the other person of course...that is why its easily not worth it and no one ever does it.

Man, whyd you cut off the original cuff? Thats a Major league no no in my book.

Its called a *seam ripper* and its a little less destructive than a pair of scissors.

Should have left it frayed like a tattered Battle flag.

Chris Wilkinson

New in Town
Yeah, You will have to take them to a wool shop and inquire about it. Hope That someone might have the required skill to deal with it. It would be a lot of time and effort to deal with for both you and the other person of course...that is why its easily not worth it and no one ever does it.

Man, whyd you cut off the original cuff? Thats a Major league no no in my book.

Its called a *seam ripper* and its a little less destructive than a pair of scissors.

Should have left it frayed like a tattered Battle flag.
At the time, I thought it distracted from the overall condition of the coat. Live and learn I guess, I'd do it differently now. I'll keep looking for a donor from something close.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart