Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Replacing sweatband?

Wil Tam

Practically Family

Tomt said:
Wil,
I noticed in your post that you mentioned that you had ordered 5 sweatbands from Aaron. Who is Aaron and how do I get in touch?

Thanks

here's the link --Aaron hats AEH posted a cool site also ... see below

AEH said:
Found these at Hats by Leko:
http://www.hatsupply.com/hatlinings.htm

Have no experience with hat lining myself

Thanks AEH for linking this ... I looked and found a couple of places that sell them too ... you really have to specific with millinery terms on Google to be able to find stuff :eusa_doh:

----------------
Now playing: Dinosaur Jr - What Else Is New
via FoxyTunes

colinlyne

New in Town
Repair of sweat band

Anyone know if it is possible to repair a "cracked" sweatband. The band has "torn" at the back, otherwise it is OK.

Thanks in advance.:)

Inusuit

A-List Customer
Check this picture in the classifieds....

Miller Western Hat XXXX "Protecto" 7 3/8. Shows a torn sweatband that ripped in an attempt to stretch the hat to a larger size. A good hat shop can replace your sweatband with a new one. I recently had this done on a 1940s vintage 3X beaver western Stetson. Cost was $30. I guess it depends on the value of the hat vs. cost of repair. Another issue for me was a desire to retain the markings on the original sweatband. But in my case, the sweat was deterioriated to the point of no return. If you don't want to spend $30, or don't have a hatter nearby, I suppose you could try gluing either a very thin piece of leather or light weight fabric behind the tear. I'd recommend Barge's Cement because it dries flexible. You might first try Barge's and just carefully glue the tear back together.

Good Luck.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Inusuit said:
Miller Western Hat XXXX "Protecto" 7 3/8. Shows a torn sweatband that ripped in an attempt to stretch the hat to a larger size. A good hat shop can replace your sweatband with a new one. I recently had this done on a 1940s vintage 3X beaver western Stetson. Cost was $30.
As the tearer of that hat, let me add a few points.
First, sweatbands don't always tear in the process of stretching.
I believe I failed to treat the band with Lexol or similar leather
treatment before stretching.

But more to the point, that sweatband, and, it appears, yours
is perfectly wearable as-is. As long as the tear isn't in the front
of the band and there is no other reason why it is bothering you
(for example, it is folding or tearing further), why not keep wearing it?
Consider also that, depending on why it tore, you may find the hat
fits better with the tear!

Personally, I replace the sweatband only if I must. Not only do I
like the old markings, but I usually like the feel of the older sweatbands.
Some hat makers still use good sweatbands. But some do not.
The price for the repair can be steep, too. Yes, it's usually around $30,
but if you don't live near the store, add in shipping.

I am concerned by the use of the word "cracking". When a sweatband
gets stiff and brittle, that is when I replace it.

Ande1964

Practically Family
I agree

Wear and enjoy. You could put a little tape on the backside, just to ensure that it doesn't get much worse. I have done that, using that blue masking tape stuff.

Anj

colinlyne

New in Town
Thanks for your help. I think that I will just wear it (or at least put some stocky on it), and later, if necessary, have it repaired. Thanks again.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
First question: Yep!

Second question: I don't know the specific techniques--I leave that to the experts. Just know that it can be done! It's not a major operation for a good hatter. Optimo, for instance, only charges $20 to replace an old sweatband with a nice new roan leather one.

Stan

A-List Customer
Hi,

Well, it's sewn in. The process isn't terribly difficult, but is a bit time consuming unless one has a specialty sewing machine that does this.

One has to cut the new sweatband to fit, and trim the reed for the ferrule to make the flare (which helps greatly to align the thing), then stitch the ends together. I use an old home zig-zag machine, hand cranked, for this part.

After that, it's basted in - meaning temporary stitches to hold it in place - and then turned out so the reed tape can be sewn to the base of the crown using a lock stitch.

The hardest part is working inside the hat when you have large hands as I do. lol

The old 1919 hatter's instruction book I have says to just give the hat to the 'trimming girl', but I don't have one of those - just me and my fat hands! lol

Anyway, if you're looking to fix one hat, there's plenty of places you can send it off to.

later!

Stan

Kangfish

Familiar Face
Question

I have a Stratoliner that is not in the best of shape but a favorite of mine just the same. The sweatband has just torn out about 3 or 4 inches. The leather tore not the stitching. It looks to me what would be an unreeded band but I can't see how it was sewn to the hat. Even with a magnifying glass in the sunlight I can't see any stitching on the outside of the hat under the ribbon or anywhere else. I know it seems unreasonable but it looks like it was sewn without the thread going all the way through the felt. I don't really think this is possible but how might it have been attatched? I'm going to try to replace it myself if I can get a band. I do some leathercraft work but don't have any leather I think would be suitable for the job. Anyway let me get back to the question. How would it have been attatched if there is no evidense of it being sewn and will I indeed have to sew it back so that the stitching will be visible on the outside of the hat? I can't figure any other way to do it. Thanks for any input.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
There is a special sewing machine that stitches the unreeded sweat to the crown without having the stitches go all the way through the felt.
Here's a photo from 1926:
SweatSewing.jpg

I think only Optimo in Chicago has one these days, so unless you send it there, it will have to be done by hand.

Brad

Kangfish

Familiar Face
Thanks Brad. I was almost afraid to ask such a question but I sure couldn't see any stitching but didn't know there was such a machine. If the hat was in better shape I might send it to him to replace the sweat but I guess I'll do it by hand. Thanks for the info!

Roan

One of the Regulars
Sweatband repair

Hello all,
I have managed to get myself a couple of older hats that also happen to have unreeded sweatbands in them. I really seem to like the unreeded sweatband better than the reeded kind as I feel it conforms to the shape of my head better and provides a more comfortable fit. Unfortunately, some of the sweatband stitching in both hats is coming undone and needs repair; is there any way to repair them while keeping them unreeded? I would really like to wear them but it seems as though every time I do more of the stitching comes undone. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I find it difficult to use the search function within the Lounge interface. Your browser's Google search is a good way to peer into the Lounge saved content when you add "the Fedora Lounge" to your query.

Roan

One of the Regulars
Ah, ok. Thanks Alan, I wouldn't have thought of that; I'll try that next time I'm looking for something.

No worries... it is part of the learning curve. My experience is that the best finds come when you're not looking. But that is another story. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot