Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Replicating my old USAF flight jacket

SteveZ

One of the Regulars
Update, got the cheaper MA1 in and it was pretty wrinkled in the package. Took the jacket to the local dry cleaner just up the block and he did a terrific job getting all the creases out. Already had 90% of the patches I wanted so took the jacket with patches to my favorite tailor to sew them on just the way we AF guys had them so many years ago in the ' good ol days '. Came out great ! Still looking for my unit patch for the right shoulder. Soon as I get a decent pic, I'll upload it on this thread. ( Even wife liked how it came out ) Stay tuned !!

YEAH DEAC ! IT DOES LOOK LIKE STEVE CANYON AND VERY COOL !

SteveZ

One of the Regulars
jacket2.jpg

SteveZ

One of the Regulars
The image above is pretty darn near my original jacket I wore over 35 years ago. The only slight difference is the AIR CREWMAN wings. The original was embroidered on a cloth ribbon not unlike the cloth embroidered name tag but I could not find a vendor that did this type of work today. I did find a vendor that made beautiful embroidered wings on a slightly larger patch however. Close enough to suit me. If you have to ask, an outfit in Florida does a ton of different types of name tags and wings in every type of color. Check them out. Outstanding site !!
NameTags4U.com

Still have to locate my unit patch for the right shoulder. Very rare. Military patch collectors have them but wont part with them. Might have to settle for something else to sew on that related to my USAF duty. This coat is a 3XL size for a looser fit. A 2XL would do but I dont need to wear a flight jacket tight like a fighter pilot anymore.

Hey DEAC, it does kinda look like Steve Canyon ! Notice I did have the colors sewn on the left shoulder ! Thanks for your insight and suggestions about this. Never had the flag on the original coat but I wanted one now. Show those colors soldier !!

SteveZ

Deacon211

One Too Many
Great looking jacket Steve!

Now you need to rub up against some dirty fuselages and break that baby in.

Find a Harrier, that thing was always leaking something! ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SteveZ

One of the Regulars
DEACON, I get that jacket dirty, my wife will kill me ! It will ' break in ' soon enough from wearing it around from time to time. Living in Virginia Beach Im exposed to NAVY and MARINE people everywhere and the jacket draws enough attention in eating establishments. I get alot of questions and a few ' thank you for your service ' from others. I get many questions about the BRIGHT ORANGE inside liner in the coat and explain it off and why the military doesnt use it any more.

DEACON, lets hope the new F-35 doesnt have too many ' teething ' problems like leaks ! LOL

You guys are the greatest !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner