Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Report: Bowler hat from Lock & Co

Topper

Vendor
Feather in hat - Is though to come from an officer in in the British Army who used to bate pre-revolutionaly soldiers from the Americas in the French and Indian War ( who lacked official uniform, but instead put a feather in their hat as identification) . Thus came the old song - Yankee Doodle Dandy. A Macaroni, being an person who dressed in Italian flamboyant style a.k.a. "Dandy"

Topper

Vendor
David Conwill said:
Much agreed! With what does one wear a bowler? I'm thinking black business suit and a black tie, but perhaps that would make you look too much like someone's footman or a mid-level bureaucrat in the '60s.

-Dave

Never wear a Bowler with Balck Tie. Bowler is Day Wear, thus not appropriate.

Possibly suggest a Trilblowler or Homburg with Black-tie.

Bowler in UK is still worn for carriage driving ( usually Brown in colour) not so much City Wear, which was Black or Grey with matching colour business suit.

Othewise Bowler is still worn at Remberance Sunday in November.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Topper said:
Never wear a Bowler with Balck Tie. Bowler is Day Wear, thus not appropriate.

Sorry for the confusion, I certainly didn't mean "Black Tie" but rather a black business suit and a necktie in the color black.

Rather like Charlie Chaplin's "Little Tramp" but cleaner and better fitting.

-Dave

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Sharp...

...very sharp.

I'm not familiar with the fine points on bowlers, but the item in question reeks of quality.

When you consider the modern world, the bowler with its more compact brim would seem to be pretty practical. They don't seem to be worn, though. I don't know what's prevailing uses are in London, but I can't say I've ever seen anyone wearing one.

Topper

Vendor
David Conwill said:
Sorry for the confusion, I certainly didn't mean "Black Tie" but rather a black business suit and a necktie in the color black.

Rather like Charlie Chaplin's "Little Tramp" but cleaner and better fitting.

-Dave

Ahh- I see, my apologies - reading this early in the morninghere across the pond!

Yes - Black Suit with necktie in black fine :D

londonboy

Familiar Face
The Lock salesperson informed me that the bowler was manufactured in the UK. I am unsure how reliable this is as I was also informed that most of their hats are still manufactured in the UK, except the panamas, Stetsons, Borsos, etc.

mrwilmoth

Familiar Face
Great looking hat, do you have any more photos? I am thinking of acquiring one! Also does anyone know of any shops selling them for a discount on the retail price? Thanks

-30-

A-List Customer
My $64,000 Question (For those old enough to remember the Show of the same name.) is just who actually manufactures

the branded hats being sold by Lock/Christys, et al?

Regards,
J T

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My $64,000 Question (For those old enough to remember the Show of the same name.) is just who actually manufactures

the branded hats being sold by Lock/Christys, et al?

Regards,
J T

As far as I know Christys still make their own hats in the UK (apart from the Christys Crown series) but they buy in the fur felt hoods (I've a feeling it's either FEPSA in Portugal or IEPSA in Spain - I'm pretty sure it's not Tonak, although of course they might use multiple suppliers).

Lock don't produce hats themselves and are just a re-brander.

Last edited:

-30-

A-List Customer
"Lock don't produce hats themselves and are just a re-brander."
QUOTE: ManofKent.

Thank you sir!

(So what we have here is a "Trade Name" in more ways than one - LOL.)

Regards,
J T

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Do you know of any of their sources or are you just guessing?

I own Christy's bowlers, and having handled Lock & co current bowlers am 95% sure they're the same. In terms of boaters, again I own the Olney boater and in that case I'm 99% sure it's identical (and as far as I know Luton is about the only place in the UK where traditional straw hats are still made). With caps it's harder to be sure who made them - there are several flat cap makers in the UK, and whilst some of them look pretty much identical to Lawrence & Foster I can't be positive.

Picard1138

One of the Regulars
I own Christy's bowlers, and having handled Lock & co current bowlers am 95% sure they're the same. In terms of boaters, again I own the Olney boater and in that case I'm 99% sure it's identical (and as far as I know Luton is about the only place in the UK where traditional straw hats are still made). With caps it's harder to be sure who made them - there are several flat cap makers in the UK, and whilst some of them look pretty much identical to Lawrence & Foster I can't be positive.

When I was researching modern made real English toppers, I noticed a distinct resemblance between Christys' and Lock's "town coke," and "town shell." I am certain that Christys' makes both toppers (and sells them for about £125 less). I love Lock & Co., I have a few of their hats, but I went with the Christys'. Christys' is a fine named brand, I didn't need to pay double for the Lock stamp.

-Max

Frog in Suit

New in Town
I would hesitate to be too assertive as I am new here and far less knowledgeable than all of you but I was under the impression that Patey are the only manufacturers of hard-shell hats (bowlers, toppers…) left in England.

http://www.pateyhats.com/hat-making/

I would assume they make for all the retailers (Lock, Bates etc.). Does anyone here know?

Frog in Suit

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner